1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Hopefully I'm not patternizing to excessity here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Senior member

1 person likes this.
  3. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Thank you to everyone who chimed in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

My wish list for winters (it will take me years of starbucks deprivation for this...)

1. A brown donegal like yours (or perhaps a navy one, or both!)
    2. A navy patterned flannel (reasonably subtle, but not too subtle, brown overcheck, or POW with light brown overcheck)
    3. A slate blue (darker end) herringbone, reasonably strong herringbone

Three patterns, brown/blue spectrum. Alternate suggestions appreciated. Examples appreciated.

I think I could survive winters then...

5. TweedyProf

THose Blarney sweaters are surprisingly affordable, suspiciously affordable! Have you experience with them?

6. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I still have the RED "F-U!" Sam Hober grenade tie. I just don't know when to wear it. Apparently, a whole lot of people wear 'em on Capitol Hill.

7. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  8. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Senior member

Not personally (Irish people, especially *Dublin* Irish people, don't really wear them), but they would be one of the more well known makers of those sweaters and would be of very high quality. Aran sweaters especially. They have a range of stores and even sell the wool itself for those who want to knit their own. They would be world-famous for it really.

I do have a personal liking for this kind of Aran sweater and always meant to get one: http://www.blarney.com/irish-shop/ronan-aran-polo-sweater/

9. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Dublin remains one of my favourite cities, though it's not as pleasant now as it was before the economic collapse.

And the home of some fine country tweed, e.g.:

http://www.kevinandhowlin.com/

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Thanks. Yes, it's a suit. Lighting is my perennial bugbear. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  11. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

12. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Could be. It doesn't help that it's now a tad too tight at exactly that point of the torso where the top button falls, which draws attention to that part of the fit. I'm a bit bigger there then I was when I first got the suit about seven years ago. Back then there was no buttoning crease to be seen.

Getting this right with a three-piece is not all that easy, since in addition to all the usual considerations one needs to take into account the button stance of the waistcoat.

Cheers,

Ac

13. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Thanks,

I am taking a long hard look at my jackets and making sure the button stance isn't too high. That photo helps give me some reference.

14. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

People on the Hill are wearing grenades?

Things are worse than I thought ...

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

[​IMG]

16. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

The simple solution to the "slightly tight jacket, with a somewhat high buttoning point" would be to wear the jacket unbuttoned when worn as part of a three-piece. I almost always wear my three-pieces with the jacket unbuttoned. Otherwise people wouldn't get to view the waistcoat in all it's glory ;)

2 people like this.
  17. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Yes. And this is what I almost always do. I buttoned it here since it was my first time posting a photo, and I didn't want it to look like I was trying to hide anything.

My own rule of thumb regarding the relation between the jacket and vest is that at least one and no more than two buttons of the latter should show when the former is buttoned. The Platonic ideal for me: just one button of the vest will show, and on a two-button jacket that button is precisely as far above the top button of the jacket as the top button of the jacket is above the bottom button of the jacket. If two show, the equal-spacing principle would still apply.

The three-piece can look great on men of all body types: big, small, fat, skinny. But that doesn't mean getting the proportions right is easy.

Regarding seeing the vest when the jacket is buttoned, as you know there are a lot of suits these days where you can't see even the top button of the vest if the jacket is buttoned. And I'm not talking about department store brands. Suit Supply, Charles Tyrwhitt, et al.

Honestly, I don't know what those people are thinking.

Cheers,

Ac

18. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

[​IMG]

So you’re announcing that henceforth you are using me as an object lesson?

Hmmm.

Be careful, lad. I’m thin, but I'm tough.

Cheers,

Ac

19. TweedyProf

@anathor
    Not to derail the contributions of others! But since I posted about button stance in the tailor's thread a week ago, here's a link that you might helpful. The experts in this thread can ignore or use it to show others:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/...-and-alteration-suggestions/4290#post_6868595

(I actually think it is post 4304).

You'll see a pic of my jacket which has too high of a button stance and a redrawn pic of a lower stance by one of the tailors showing where I wanted the button placed, but didn't adequately communicate this to the company. I wasn't going to complain since this was a remake of a jacket (MTM). I can correct in the next one. It otherwise is a nice clean jacket: I would just lower the stance and also lengthen a bit.

The nice thing is the side by side pic which I thought strikingly illustrates why a lower button stance looks better. But judge for yourself.

20. Silhouette

Silhouette Senior member

My presence is gonna start, like, a frigging coup d'etat on this bitch. [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm sorry that I abused the English language with a a word which doesn't exist. Excess and abundance incapsulate huge beards better.

My whole-hearted respect for you though mimo, I've read nothing but interesting posts from you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.