• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I wear what I deem a "casual" suit in either linen, or just some unstructured thing I either go for a dandy look underneath like the shirt/tie I wore last saturday, or ultra conservative business dress shirt and tie to settle it down. Of course it depends on where I am going.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
Thought I'd make my first WAYWN post with what I wore to prom last night:

Clean, tidy, well fitting. Every detail spot on. Liking the shirt studs.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@ acrid: I agree with sugarbutch. From the button upwards, your jacket looks like a decent fit but below the button looks loose, baggy and I'll fitting. Not sure what's going on there but I think some surgery is in order.

@ PG: I'm probably in a minority here but the sweater tied round the neck looks like a bad gimmick to me. If it's cold enough then wear it. If it's not then leave it at home. If a suit (+waistcoat/sweater vest?) plus overcoat aren't enough options to deal with the elements then I dunno what the next step is but a sweater makes a poor accessory IMO. Weller tried this in the Style Council days and it didn't work for him either.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trying to see how much I could get away with for work. Sort of think I went a bit overboard here and should tone it down next time.
(also wanted to wear beige linen trousers instead of what I wore but they were wrinkled badly from a wash)

tumblr_lmkuo6V1mq1qcq3abo1_400.jpg
tumblr_lmkumbMnkF1qcq3abo1_400.jpg

tumblr_lmkuhiyGog1qcq3abo1_500.jpg
tumblr_lmkuc7XAWo1qcq3abo1_500.jpg
tumblr_lmku8jYpVM1qcq3abo1_500.jpg

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
b03d545b.jpg

839a7a65.jpg

57faf201.jpg

Additional views:

16644b42.jpg

3f04cf8e.jpg

I think this suit should be worn with no tie,cotton/linen white shirt and some other shoes and a pocket square.

Originally Posted by acridsheep
IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

This looks horrible,fit and colorwise. You fail.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
The buttoning point on the jacket seems weird to me, 'sheep, almost like it's halfway between where the "one" and "two" buttons would be on a three-button suit. Maybe it's the angle of the pic.
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
@ acrid: I agree with sugarbutch. From the button upwards, your jacket looks like a decent fit but below the button looks loose, baggy and I'll fitting. Not sure what's going on there but I think some surgery is in order.
Agreed. I can't tell if it's:
  1. The unstructured nature of the jacket
  2. The fact that it hasn't yet been altered
  3. Pic angle/quality
  4. Boobies
Originally Posted by forex
This looks horrible,fit and colorwise. You fail.
Kisses

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I am going to comment on your fit for the next few days, don't take it personal please, you just seem to be in flux given your sportcoat MC threak.

In tis outfit, the shirt/tie and shoes are wrong. This suit was a perfect opportunity to wear teh sockless loafer look you sometimes do. Also, with such a sedate suit, throw on a nicely striped shirt, blue bengal/red bengal etc. Lastly, a nice knit tie or linen or raw silk would have been better, in a shade that is not in the brown family.

I appreciate the tutelage. I agree the shoes are wrong, I get that. You advise to do a striped shirt and knit tie. I felt the same - so wound up with a striped shirt and grenadine tie. Close enough? I can see where the shirt may be iffy, but the tie is wrong? That I dont get at all.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I appreciate the tutelage. I agree the shoes are wrong, I get that. You advise to do a striped shirt and knit tie. I felt the same - so wound up with a striped shirt and grenadine tie. Close enough? I can see where the shirt may be iffy, but the tie is wrong? That I dont get at all.

the colors. You're almost monotone (in somewhat ugly colors). Next to know color contrast. Given your physique (no pato), I would also consider forex's no tie, open collared white shirt/striped shirt look. I don't like that color linen, I know it's classic but I would prefer a dark brown/tobacco brown linen suit, there was an old guy in the Sartorialist threak wearing a brown linen suit, striped blue shirt and blue tie that looked great.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the colors. You're almost monotone (in somewhat ugly colors). Next to know color contrast. Given your physique (no pato), I would also consider forex's no tie, open collared white shirt/striped shirt look. I don't like that color linen, I know it's classic but I would prefer a dark brown/tobacco brown linen suit, there was an old guy in the Sartorialist threak wearing a brown linen suit, striped blue shirt and blue tie that looked great.

Spoo, my reaction to the colors is the same as Ed's. Of course I haven't seen you in person, so it's hard to say. I also think that this is probably a white shirt, no-tie suit.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
ttp://i.imgur.com/oHLB5.jpg[/IMG][/center]

Really like today's look.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Interesting. I thought the dark olive was a nice play against the khaki. C'est la vie. Id kill for a tobacco brown linen suit. Thats next, I hope.

Originally Posted by philosophe
Spoo, my reaction to the colors is the same as Ed's. Of course I haven't seen you in person, so it's hard to say. I also think that this is probably a white shirt, no-tie suit.

Agreed on the white. I wanted a pattern somewhere though.

Thanks guys, 'preciate the tips.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the colors. You're almost monotone (in somewhat ugly colors). Next to know color contrast.
Just piggybacking off of Ed's comments, I always appreciate that you like to inject color into your outfits, even if it isn't something I do for myself very often. I just think you can keeping improving on your color coordinating. One of the first comments I ever made on one of your posts was when you paired orange pants with a white pocket square with an orange border. I saw what you were trying to do, but it just felt off. For some more recent outfits, there is this: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=4854 Your tie, socks, and square are all bright colors in purple and pink. The bright colors are fine, but they are just too close to each other and don't harmonize. They should complement each other, not compete. Or in this post: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=4925 The green shoes are your thing, and you should rock them. But they just don't work with that color pants. If you're gonna wear FU shoes, then they better pop. Your pants look brown. If they aren't, then they are probably a grey with a brownish tone. In any event, they just kind of blend with the shoes, and the combo looks off. Those shoes probably need a lighter color fabric pants, like a very light grey or a light tan. You've got all the elements. It's just about making them harmonious. I don't even think it's as much as pulling back on the tricks, like whnay suggested. It's about finding the right tricks to work with each other harmoniously.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought the dark olive was a nice play against the khaki.

You're always on the right track. A dark color does play nicely against the khaki, but it's about finding that right dark color. The olive has too much brown tones to it, so the colors just kinda blend together and looks like a large brownish swath against your chest. The same tie in dark blue would work better.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
You're always on the right track. A dark color does play nicely against the khaki, but it's about finding that right dark color. The olive has too much brown tones to it, so the colors just kinda blend together and looks like a large brownish swath against your chest. The same tie in dark blue would work better.

uhoh.gif
*****************?
lol8[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads