1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimo

mimo Senior member

That's OK Noodles. You did order a decent tie. Next, get Murlsquirl's. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

You're all correct. The square was intended with the brown tie, since the pink it it coordinates with the pink design in the tie.

Applying my laniceman translation function, "horrendous" becomes "not my preference but to each his own" in normal people intercourse, which I can understand and accept.

And no, it's just one square. The dots are on the border.

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

^ Thanks for the compliments, Mimo. The tie is Capelli and I got it from Steve at Gentlemansfootwear a while back.

1 person likes this.
  4. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Happy belated new years, gents. After nearly 3 weeks of holiday time off, and recently single digit and below zero temps, today I put on a suit again. I have to admit, I kind of enjoyed the break from getting all gussied up.

[​IMG]

Now back to the thousand or so posts I need to catch up on.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    10 people like this.
  5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

sorry dood. top block looks ok, but i think your jacket is also on the tight side.

yeah, that first guy sucks. pants are too baggy and too long. the best tailor knows what to do without you saying a word, the second best tailor needs your input but does exactly as you ask, the worst needs your input and yet still does what he/she wants and does a crappy job of it.

----

Murlsquirl - excellent

fari - lighting makes it tough, but suit lacks shape, not flattering you and pants need a shortening imo.

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Perhaps, but that is a vast improvement deserving of thumbs.

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  8. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

Not the best light for pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

That's a huge improvement! The suit has much more shape, but it's a little too small in the waist, which can be seen from that X that's around your button. A way to remedy this would be to let out the jacket a bit, which shouldn't be too expensive. The lapels seem to be bowing as well, which indicates that your chest is too big, but it might also be caused by the fact that the waist is too narrow, as I've mentioned before. I don't know how stitchy can see that your pants are too long, as there's no full length pic. The shoes could use some polishing, they seem a little scuffed at the moment, but that's really nitpicking.

Anyway, once you make these small changes you'll have an excellent suit!

1 person likes this.
  10. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Did you sightsee in dress shoes? I move too fast for that when traveling and my feet would be killing me at the end of the day. Kudos to you.

11. faribeana88

faribeana88 Well-Known Member

stitchy I think you may be referencing my older photos that I posted first.

the newer suit is the second set of pics

12. faribeana88

Thanks for the comments MF. I will say from the time I got the suit tailored to now, I did put on some weight due to lack of exercise but I'll wait to some of the weight comes off (which happens to be mainly around my waist) to see if I need to adjust it again but standing straight, the lapels lie flush against my chest so it may be due to the waist and the fact that i'm not completely in a relaxed position when taking the picture

13. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agreed. Do you feel better between the two? Your fit looks better now. You seem to be rather well built on top. Have you tried a slightly larger jacket, next size up?

I like the tie (perhaps try a burgundy/wine/purple square...also I'm for dimples and four in hand...is that a windsor, can't quite tell?).

http://www.asuitablewardrobe.net/sale/bird-print-wool-silk-pocket-squares.html

14. faribeana88

Half Windsor but I retied to incorporate a dimple...noticed that once I left the house.

SS is a bit of a toughy because I am really built (ex football player) and there 44 is noticeably big in the shoulder but as I noted before I am carrying a little bit more weight that I normally due and I'm certain once it comes down to the size I was when I had the suit fitted, it should be fine.

But I feel great now! I can honestly say when you have a suit that fits you, there is a certain level of added confidence that comes with it and I have you guys to thank! Once I joined SF, that was the last time I bought a GQ magazine and for good reason! [​IMG]

15. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

16. TweedyProf

Well, you wouldn't have learned from me but from the folks I'm learning from too. I think you might look into shoulders in your next suit. As you have a muscular shoulder, you might need a larger armhole, but take a look in the tailor's tutorial thread, lots of good stuff there. Of course, this is just a suggestion.

Among the things I have learned, focusing on basics and working slowly and methodically from there makes a dramatic difference. Looks like you're doing that.

17. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

@oldog/oldtrix :slayer:

18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i never meant to imply otherwise.

dagnabit! that what i get for speed reading. second set is a HUGE improvement. :fonz:

1 person likes this.
  19. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I'm afraid the only solution will be going for MTM if you really want a suit to fit well OTR. SS offers MTM as well, at pretty reasonable prices.

20. TweedyProf

On advice about adjustments, post here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/the-tailors-thread-fit-feedback-and-alteration-suggestions/4260

Despos, who by SF lights is one of the top tailors in the US, is active again in that thread. Some of the stuff he sees I can see once he points it out, some of it I can't, which is to say you'd have an expert eye (see his last comment on what looks to me a pretty decent jacket at the good taste thread). Ask him in the Tailor's thread about your shoulder and what needs to happen there (I'm curious if it's in part an arm hole issue). He'll offer pointers on the rest of your jacket too. Don't let it depress you though...it's food for thought so your next jacket can be better (other tailors there too).

I've had one SS MTM done, long story. It came out ok but there are certain fashion forward elements they push (e.g. high button stance) that are hard to push them back on. You can control arm hole size, if that's the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.