1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

The power of a missing preposition. Sex is difficult enough between two people - never mind three, and what I had intended to say, obviously, save for the absence of the word "as", was that 1). both parents were schoolteachers, and 2). as both parents were New England WASPs, so am I.

And, to quote Emily Litella after castigation by Jane Curtin on SNL - "Bitch."

3 people like this.
  2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

And thanks to whomever posted the ASW link. I picked up the burgundy to complement the sand version I got from Barneys. Or was it Mr. Porter...?

3. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. sugarbutch

[​IMG]

20 people like this.
  5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sugar, what kind of shoes do you generally wear? A lot of your shoes look vintage. It could just be that my mind is only referencing the few I have seen that have a particular, "look".

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Lol. I am slowly incorporating them in select fits. Dont expect one in every fit tho!

1 person likes this.
  7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Tits, regarding jeans not being MC, I was being diplomatic about it.

8. sugarbutch

Today's are Church's, but most are either Crockett & Jones (for BB's Peal line and their own) or Gravati for Wilkes Bashford. Yesterday was Alfred Sargent, and I have a couple other things, too.

9. patrickBOOTH

Probably the Gravati I am thinking of.

10. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I agree. As this has become my work attire. Gone away with suiting and more casual which is inclusive of denim/cotton 5 pocket pants

11. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Understand your point on the formality of solid blue, but I've been trying to pull back on mixing patterns as much as I had been so I can get a better grasp on things overall. I thought a striped shirt would be too busy with the check. I could be wrong.

I think that jacket is Engineered garments, and while I think it is awesome and looks great, I wonder if that takes it out of the category of sport coats discussed here?

Russel Plaid today. Tie is navy. Square is exploding.:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  12. patrickBOOTH

Lovely SC shape there. The only nit I would make about the fit is it would look nicer if the collar and gorge area hugged your neck slightly more.

1 person likes this.
  13. mktitsworth

I figured as much. I can see arguments for and against. In the strictest sense of Classic menswear as having evolved from British dress in the Edwardian era, that jeans are not CM, however this seems to me a very narrow view of things. From this view, no one except Tibor would be dressed for business, given that the lounge suit was (as I understand) a casual invention.

This seems to indicate that - at least here in the confines of SF - the strictest definition to be applied is not approriate. The question then becomes one of where one draws the line.There are certainly times and places which have influenced and had a major effect upon the lineage of western dress over the last century. So then, which are incorporated and which aren't? The observation that older modes of dress which remain in use amongst specific subsets of western culture trend towards being considered more formal as time goes along seems pertinent to this.

Thinking about it at the moment, I'd imagine that the mechanism by which this occurs is also important. It seems naively true that new methods of dress arise casually - since that is the context in which it is most acceptable to vary from the norm - and often with an influence from being functional. In this sense, the adoption of jeans into acceptable casual wear during the '40s/'50s(?) seems to be along this line. Additionally though, it seems that as time goes by old formalities are removed from the mainstream. This seems to increase the relative formality of everything below it because those things remain more formal than what else is being worn. In the sixty plus years since their adoption at the bottom of the casual wear spectrum, new modes of dress have arisen so that the formality of jeans has been elevated relative to what is least formal. Hence the rise of "nice" jeans. If we're going to take classic menswear in a very loose sense of things, then taking it as the methods of dress which incorporates clothing articles styled in such a way as to be able to be considered with some minimal level of formality above the minimum for some certain amount of time, then I can certainly construct that in such a way that Levi 501s belong in the repertoire. While they certainly are among the least formal pieces that should be considered classic menswear, I think this gives a good reason why they should be considered none the less.

14. mktitsworth

I believe you're correct about the make. It's possible it falls outside, however there was also the insinuation that jeans always look sloppy and unconsidered.

15. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Your mother and I are most likely of the same generation, and if they work for her, then good enough.

16. patrickBOOTH

She sometimes just wears a bra under her blazers and lady suits. It is pretty hot.

1 person likes this.
  17. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

:slayer:...owning your style and being comfortable with your own skin. I'm still searching for mine.....

1 person likes this.
  18. patrickBOOTH

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. mktitsworth

:eek:

20. mktitsworth

This shows me that I missed a critical "many" or "most", although as I understand it Black tie did arise as an alternative to white tie for less formal situations - but that could just be what I learned from Downton Abbey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.