• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fantastic fits, crusty and monkeyface.

monkeyface - did you remove the tie-belt after the pic?

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fantastic fits, crusty and monkeyface.

monkeyface - did you remove the tie-belt after the pic?
Cheers! Nope, go hard or go home
wink.gif
The way I tied it works surprisingly well as a belt, there's nothing sticking out. It's a relatively cheap cotton tie that I hardly wear, so I don't really care what happens to it. I am changing into something more comfortable soon though, as I'm about to hit the gym.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheers! Nope, go hard or go home
wink.gif
The way I tied it works surprisingly well as a belt, there's nothing sticking out. It's a relatively cheap cotton tie that I hardly wear, so I don't really care what happens to it. I am changing into something more comfortable soon though, as I'm about to hit the gym.
awesome. how did you tie it?
From yesterday, ideally the tie would be a bit darker. However, it holds a special significance because it was from my late grandfather who passed last weekend. Tie is 100% linen, shirt is 65% linen.
i think it looks great. condolences on your grandfather. very special that you have something you can wear to remind you of him.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
awesome. how did you tie it?
It's a little hard to explain, but I put it on just like a belt, making sure that the wide and narrow ends of the tie were in the front. So you have the two ends of the tie in your hands after you put it on, the wide end in your left hand, and the narrow end in your right hand. I put the smaller end behind the wider end, through the tie loop, which serves as a sort of belt buckle.
Then I put the wider end through the first belt loop on the right, and because it started to get too wide after that, folded it in half. This means that you're putting the wider end over the narrow end. It turned out that the tie ended just past the second belt loop on the right, so that was very convenient. Only a discerning eye would be able to distinguish I'm wearing a tie for a belt.

Anyway, there might be a better way to do it, but this is how I figured it out!

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
A tale of two suits.

When you go off the map, Crusty, you really do it well. Not that your perfect pinstripes are anything but superb, but I've really enjoyed your more country-fied fits of late, and this bit of peacockery is absolutely brilliant. Let it out, your public approves!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a little hard to explain, but I put it on just like a belt, making sure that the wide and narrow ends of the tie were in the front. So you have the two ends of the tie in your hands after you put it on, the wide end in your left hand, and the narrow end in your right hand. I put the smaller end behind the wider end, through the tie loop, which serves as a sort of belt buckle. Then I put the wider end through the first belt loop on the right, and because it started to get too wide after that, folded it in half. This means that you're putting the wider end over the narrow end. It turned out that the tie ended just past the second belt loop on the right, so that was very convenient. Only a discerning eye would be able to distinguish I'm wearing a tie for a belt.
Anyway, there might be a better way to do it, but this is how I figured it out!
sounds cool, thanks for the explanation.

Quantimil

Reaction score
The shoulders on the JAB seersucker are massive and the jacket is long in sleeve and body - reminds me of a zoot suit. But hey, that's almost the correct time period. Monkeyface's combo works surprisingly well. I don't think I've seen anyone pull off a red sportcoat before.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I wondered if we'd see the Fez! Very fun.

TTO, Angelicboris & Monkeyface looking especially good today. Monkey - the (two) ties are just enough to save this from looking like you've escaped from Butlins, and instead turn it into a really good flashy look.

Details on the pants?

Loro Piana, a linen/cotton blend IIRC.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BIG T!!:slayer:

Jimmy D

Reaction score
Today's fit is a tale of two suits. The first is a seersucker suit that I picked up some time ago at Joseph A. Bank – my first foray into seersucker, and hedging my bets, I opted for low price on a garment that I was uncertain that I'd want to own.

The second is a seersucker suit from Brooks, my most recent purchase. I've taken pictures of both suits, with the same accessories, to see the difference in style and fit. The Brooks is obviously a superior fit, and I'm much happier wearing it.

As it happens, this is also the first day this year that the weather warrants the wearing of such a warm-weather fabric, and, in keeping with the rather retro nature of seersucker, it's also the opening day for Baz Luhrmann's movie version of “The Great Gatsby”. With this in mind, I've broken a rule or two with regard to seersucker – I'm wearing a double-cuffed shirt with a pin collar, and I'm uncertain whether my choice of socks is kosher under any form of sartorial rules. The first I did for pure “retro”, the second for personal caprice.

So be it.

Suit – BB or JAB
Shirt – Tyrwhitt
Tie – BB
Collar pin – PRL
Cufflinks – Metropolitan Museum of Art
Shoes – C & J Maltons

JAB:

Brooks:

Killer shoes, Crusty

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

. I don't think I've seen anyone pull off a red sportcoat before.

ive worn a red sportcoat a few times...i didnt pull it off though...your ma did.

AYO!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads