1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

... and trousers. Two narrower pipes protruding from a wider one. Waist suppression and a bit of trouser tapering and the result looks excellent.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Fair question.

I only bother to comment on this thread if someone is mostly doing stuff right.

I get that he has much different requirements for what he wears day-to-day. I believe he's a teacher (as is my wife) and I realize that it's kinda a thing for teachers to wear bright colors and whatnot.

So most of the time, I don't comment on AAS's fits. He likes something I don't care for but he generally does it pretty well. I do think it's a little embarassing that a grown ass man is sometimes in all blackwatch eerthang but yeah...

To start, all of his stuff fits quite well. Which alone puts him in the upper echelon of this thread.

But the fit we're talking about

Has a few - to my mind obvious - points against it. It no particular order--
    - That tie is fugly. Large paisley is largely bad. Two different kinds of large paisley on one tie will always be on the failure side of things.
    - You have a decidedly busy tie with a busy square. And that square doesn't coordinate well with anything else in that outfit.
    - I'm not totally against horizontal striped shirts but this one is too large a stripe for that
    - Even if the stripes were normal style, that shirt would still be too busy with that sort of tie.

This fit is really good (assuming he had to wear shoes like that for touring)-
    (assuming the pants are cuffed and not just folded over)

This would be great if it had one less layer. Either lose the puffy vest or the cardigan.

1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i believe he is not a fran of your suits/jackets that have minimal to no waist suppression.

4. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Also the trousers.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Cotton Dockers that is great!

6. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Cosigning all of Cantabrigian's comments there. The problem with AAS is his reluctance to accept that, regardless of his obsession with Black Watch, there's a clear and significant inverse relation between the amount of patterns he crams into one outfit and the amount of praise he gets.

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

It would be silly to expect you to pay close attention to my posts, but if you're going to make categorical statements, they should at least be rooted in reality. I have suits with a range of fits. Some are actually too big for me, but I still wear them because I like them and I'm not swimming in them. As I come across suitable replacements in my current size, I'll replace them. Other suits just have a relaxed fit which I quite like occasionally. And then there are several which fit pretty much like today's suit. The pants today aren't so much tapered as just more slimly cut all the way up the leg. They're also less comfortable than the more generously cut pants. C'est la vie.

1 person likes this.
  8. in stitches

this is my never ending battle with pants. my pants that are most comfortable look least flattering and my pants that look most flattering are least comfortable.

9. sugarbutch

10. sugarbutch

And, stitchy, I know you don't like 'em, but suspenders help ease some of the conflict between comfort and cut.

11. mktitsworth

You guys should have Chris (Despos) make some pants for you. Best of both worlds.

Stitchy - what about your pants from Ed though?

12. sugarbutch

I am actively seeking patrons to facilitate such a project, Tits.

13. in stitches

i have tried. they are just not for me. :(

i hope to find this out some day.

they are sexy as hell, but also very close in the thigh. therefor, they are not optimally comfortable, but that was a choice i made.

if he was able to measure me in person im sure it could have been remedied a bit, but the simple fact is that i have very thick thighs and a slight bow where my legs angle in hard by my knee. the only true way to fix the comfort as far as i know is be to make sure the legs are wider than my thigh to to the point that even when i sit down its not tight, and then to balance the knee issue, the taper has to be minimum and the opening wider than i like. basically, baggier pants than would look optimally sexsay.

14. sugarbutch

There's also the issue of height and proportion. I'm 5'8", so things have to be really slim to look slim on me. I also don't have a flat ass and bony legs.

tl/dr: It's all compromise

2 people like this.
  15. mktitsworth

Sig worthy.

2 people like this.
  16. in stitches

never would have guessed i am taller than you, shugz. also, yeah that sums it up.

17. sugarbutch

I guess my suits aren't so baggy after all! :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  18. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

HaHa - great look but the tie looks to me a smidge wide for the lapels.

3 people like this.
  19. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thanks for the thumbs yesterday. Today: [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] Abboud (yes, THAT Abboud) -- it's actually a very dark brown, not black Ruggiero BB Cucinelli Trafalgar Eddie Bauer Panthy AE

4 people like this.
  20. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

And this is the classic English way of doing things. The fashionable iGent approved thing is to have half an inch (or 1-1.5cm) of shirt cuff showing, but that doesn't mean it's universally 'correct'...

And @sugarbutch , there's no need to be too defensive - I've always liked your stuff, but your fits in this new year have seemed even better. Maybe it's just the photography / layout.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.