• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the Friday Challenge. I puffed the hank after taking the pictures...
lookaround.gif

I know it's breaking the rules and all, but this doesn't look bad. Quite the contrary!

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very weel done, SB. almost as awesome as me. :D

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I keep telling you, Stitchy, you need to work on that self-confidence. :D

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Annoyingly, the weather wasn't dry & sunny enough to wear the fit I really wanted to for today's challenge so instead I went with a more traditional one instead. Don't worry, you'll see the more flamboyant look some time this summer (it will be minus the red tie tho').

Anyway, my entry:

Things I learnt from the challenge:
- it was impossible to find a square that went well with all these elements. The starkness of the white shirt, combined with the brightness of the red tie, made any other visual counterpoint almost impossible to integrate. I gave up after trying about 3 squares and realising none of them looked good. Weirdly, worst of that lot was white linen. Anyway, no square seems best (or, least worst).
- I felt that I was back dressing up for school or as if I worked in some souless office. Didn't really like that effect, but the weather prevented me from wearing what I really wanted to, and this was the only practical look I could generate from the rest of the wardrobe. The challenge parameters would have been a lot easier to work into a summery look where the white shirt could have been used to complement lighter shades in both the trouser & jacket, instead of having to rely more on stark contrasts to create a look.
- I guess what the two points above highlight is that I found the white shirt + red tie combination to be a really difficult combination to integrate into my personal style, given the no-suit stipulation. If we'd been allowed suits, it would have been much easier. But then again, it's called a challenge for a reason! :)

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
HF, if you had to pick the Friday challenge, what would you choose?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poasting for the friday challenge...

When I first got this jacket I was happy with the shoulder expression, but the more I look at it, the more I dislike the overall silhouette. Can't quite figure out what to do to make future commissions look better, perhaps it's just my body shape. I was thinking some more shoulder extension, leaner chest, less padding, fuller sleeves and more closed quarters, but I can't be sure about the results.

I actually think this is kind of great. I think trousers a little wide-ish like that look beautiful when they fall as well as those do. The shoulder looks nice in the long shot, but in the close-up it looks kind of rigid with the very drapey chest. Based on the other photos you've posted of it, I'd be happy with it -- but they're your clothes. The "Friday Challenge" elements of the fit take it down a notch, I think, and I'm a little wary of patterned trousers with navy blazers -- but that's probably just me.

HuskyDandy

Reaction score
Clags: TU for feedback...yeah...I do look like I'm hawking peas or something....let's say I wanted to keep jacket/slacks and the shoes--I had many favorable comments on the shoes--what color shirt? A blue check? Yellow? I have a purple gingham that fits well... thanks again..just trying to learn.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch, that hurts about the trousers! I actually love how they fit - they are not so baggy really, my legs are just that thick. Or are you just talking about the fact they are plaid trousers?
Black oxfords and white shirt with this are part of this friday's WAYWRN challenge - I would not wear such a combo otherwise
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Patterned odd trousers are okay for a dandified look i guess

I think the pic is over-emphasizing the pagoda effect.

Here's the same jacket:

this guy does it well )

better minus the Summer square

It's not the rope and pagoda per se, but the combination of the rope, convex shoulder and aggressive lapels (mitigated by the blue tie and more appropriate square here)

It's a statement jacket- industrial- flat planes and angles and bumps, and IMO won't play with informals like those trews etc

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HF, if you had to pick the Friday challenge, what would you choose?

I won one or two challenges back in their first forum incarnation. I couldn't remember which themes, but just looked them up in the challenge compendium thread NOBD & Spoo put together then, and it seems like one was the Black theme and the other was the FU jacket one. I can't remember the details of what I wore for them though. My first theme selection was Pattern Frenzy (compile a fit with as many patterns as possible, but which still actually looks good and not like a dog's dinner), and the second was Inspired by Nature (fits to be inspired by something - colours, patterns, textures, whatever - in the natural world i.e. trying to get people to think about how to craft a look by having an end image/muse in mind, rather than just throwing items together). Both themes had potential for high achievement, and terrible car crash failures and IIRC I think they generated both.

I think that's important in a challenge: at their best, they provide artificial constraints that result in creative/unexpected solutions to the problem of looking good. I like seeing what problems the constraints generate; it's another way of figuring out what you actually like to see in the mirror. And at their worst, a tough challenge theme means that you can giggle at the terrible submissions. I don't know what theme I'd pick if I ever got the opportunity to pick again. But I'd probably pick similarly high-wire, high risk/reward types of theme.

BTW, I forgot to comment earlier on RDiaz's jacket and his feeling of discontent about its silhouette. Personally, I would agree with those thinking it looks very nice in general, but would benefit from a somewhat less cutaway front. Apart from that, I like the rest of its appearance. Of course, the more important thing is whether he likes it. If not, before ordering another jacket, it would be worth figuring out what he'd ideally like from a jacket that this one isn't giving him rather than over-focusing on individual construction elements i.e. take a holistic look for an archetype of the kind of jacket he wants and then finding out whether his tailor likes making that sort of jacket.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, I forgot to comment earlier on RDiaz's jacket and his feeling of discontent about its silhouette. Personally, I would agree with those thinking it looks very nice in general, but would benefit from a somewhat less cutaway front. Apart from that, I like the rest of its appearance. Of course, the more important thing is whether he likes it. If not, before ordering another jacket, it would be worth figuring out what he'd ideally like from a jacket that this one isn't giving him rather than over-focusing on individual construction elements i.e. take a holistic look for an archetype of the kind of jacket he wants and then finding out whether his tailor likes making that sort of jacket.

nice consultation. errrr... comment, Dr H
biggrin.gif

yeah RD if u stick with this u can't go wrong- looks great

Last edited:

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the Opera to see Aida in Rio. Trust me, I was definitely overdressed. Pay no mind to the weird angle in the first pic, the girlfriend is 5'4" while I am 6'5". The right sleeve (left on the pic) is not short, must be snagging in the jacket.

Trousers have a very small check pattern that I really like (I bought it at Zara in Rome). Shirt is pale green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads