1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Merry And All That Gents
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    11 people like this.
  2. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Who talked you into putting this collar on this shirt? It is like you combined two somewhat similar yet different shirts into one. Can't say I've ever seen that before, not sure if I want to again.

2 people like this.
  3. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

First off, I hope, for your sake, that Mom came to Vancouver to shop with you, rather than you going to Toronto, as the weather today in Vancouver seems to be much milder than the weather in southern Ontario - brrrrr.

Secondly, for grocery shopping, I am sure that white cotton or linen is fine as a PS - as it is, I am sure that you're the best dressed man at the supermarket.

As for the selfies, the portrait selfie is blurred, but, if you are using the camera that allows you to see yourself on the screen, those cameras are usually far inferior to the cameras mounted on the other side (or so says my technologically obsessed partner). Otherwise, your detail photos look quite clear and well-lit - use your phone camera in good health.

4. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

The whole family has lived on the west coast for nearly 20 years now. I spent 5 years of that back in Ontario, in my early to mid 20s. I may not be the best dressed at the cheese shop; possible at the Granville Island market, though. Not that being best dressed is too difficult in Vancouver. It's more like being the most melodic rapper of the 90's.

I digress. Thanks for the compliment, and merry Christmas. I quite like your red and green today. The Window pane itself is fun and festive.

5. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

The mention of Granville Island reminds me that my partner and I, by sheer dint of ignorance and misplaced thrift, walked from our hotel in Vancouver (the Shangri-La) to Edible Canada on Granville Island, over the Granville St. Bridge, thinking that the Granville St. Bridge would lead us directly to Granville Island. We learned the hard way that this is not true, although it did give us a great sunset view of the island itself, and we certainly had worked up an appetite by the time that we made it to the restaurant. (The taxi stand next to the restaurant was also handy.)

Today's suit was a happy accident of timing - New & Lingwood initiated a sale the day that I bought the suit (saving me some 200 GBP), and they were able to effect the alterations (which consisted entirely of cuffing the trousers) in the space of about five hours or so, as it was our last full day in London that trip.

6. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Canadian socks...to be sure...

PS Your cell photos are crap! :satisfied:

7. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

This is atrocious. Seriously, have you been checked for colour-blindness? You don't have to be a clone of someone on SF, but take a look at several pictures of your favourite SF posters who inspire you to dress well, then ask yourself what it is about their fits that you think looks good. I guarantee none of them combine an all solid fit with such non complimentary colours. It's like you've learned nothing.

8. TM79

TM79 Senior member

"Okay, a simple wrong would've done just fine."

- Billy Madison

1 person likes this.
  9. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

1. Pleated pants belong on your waist, about an inch below your belly button or so. Due to their location, they MUST be worn with suspenders or braces IMO. Otherwise, they simply slide down to the hips and you get puddling and the fit is all off. They need to fit very well through the hips. This is the most important area I think. Due to pleats they need to be right on in the hips otherwise the excess fabric will be emphasized and look bad. After the hips, they should be slim through the legs and a good taper like the rest of your trousers. A few of my recent fits have featured pleated pants. FWIW I think that those pants are too big for me and need more taper and are probably too big through the hips to begin with. However taking a look may help you to see the placement of the pants relative to your waist and hips.

2. I think pocket squares can be absolutely giant, the bigger the better. Did you see the massive PS that AAS had with his monochrome fit? Thing was awesome.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

DC, Mimo - each one of my favorite fits of yours.

Quiet pre-Xmas day in the office, so no tie for me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  11. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i wouldnt go so far as to say he has leaned nothing. as a matter of fact, going all solid is actually a really good step back for most. getting away from all the patterns and stripes, and just starting with getting cohesive color and texture combinations.

that being said, that combo os pretty bad, rtc. imo, there is almost no such thing (maybe in fact no such thing at all) as a nice shirt for a jacket and tie that is of a dark or very saturated color. hell, the shirt i was wearing last week (not posted) was only slightly saturated, and i think it was killing the SC and tie combo with its saturation.

when every single item calls the eye, its almost a guarantee to not work. replace that shirt with a light or medium blue and the tie with something brown or green and you are in business.

ill tell you something vox told me, and you can take it or leave it. put down the PSs until your grasp on everything else is solid.

1 person likes this.
  12. RJE

RJE Senior member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
    4 people like this.
  13. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Thanks very much. I like the last two best, also.

Re. tags: just trying it and decided that I don't like the fit - too boxy, but I do like the fabric and style.

Really, I was just passing some time - but, thanks for the comments.

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Was that a suitsupply Soho? They're anything but boxy if you tailor them right imho. If it wasn't, you might want to look into suitsupply, as they have a very similar fabric.

15. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

For reasons unknown your post won't quote, so I copied some of it.

Too much sprezz going on here jhcam IMHO- you've got 3 primary colors here, for a start. And the chalk stripes are a double whammy- they sit towards the formal end of the spectrum, and they're a bold statement on their own. You don't want to send a mixed message with dandified PSs. A plain linen or a cotton square with a shoestring border would be a better option.

Re PSs... It looks to me like you're making your square decisions based on the color of your tie alone- a mistake I've made again and again. :embar: A square shouldn't clash with the tie, but it will look better if it plays off and complements the shirt too, for a couple of reasons. Shirt and jacket are the fit's bedrock; ties and squares are ornaments, but for the sake of stylistic consistency and good taste you don't want them to look ornamenty (isthat a word?) so tie and square shouldn't be paired by pattern, texture or color.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments and I may generally agree with you. (CT on the EG thread might agree with your observation, "...a mixed message with dandified PSs." cf. his note on poncified Galways.)

Here I'm looking for a holiday color scheme, hence, the burgundy waist coat and green tie. I tried white and cream ps, which I generally wear, but wanted something a bit more spirited.
    I liked the last two best, both of which had the colors of the coat, tie, and waistcoat, and I like some brown mixed in on occasion.

Mainly I was playing around and thought I'd post the shots for fun.

Anyway, I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Cheers, mate and Happy Holidays - Jim :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  16. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

No, it's a BB felted wool sport coat - don't know the model, but it was not cheap. I don't have a shot of the whole coat but it was snug in the shoulders and there wasn't much room in the torso, but it looked boxy. I know anything can be tailored, but I prefer something that is closer to what I like to start.

I've been meaning to check out SS - do you have any?

17. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yeah, I've got two Suisupply DB suits and a sport coat, and some other SF members such as Holdfast seem to like their suitsupply DB as well. The cut is very nice, definitely not boxy, and they use fabrics from respectable mills (Reda, VBC, etc). They have free shipping/returns, and they're very reasonable priced, so it's worth checking out if you're in the market for a DB suit/jacket.

18. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

^ Thanks - I'll give it a try.

19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

It's onomatopoeic.

20. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Whatever your faith, Merry Christmas [​IMG]
    and thanks for making this thread rok

[​IMG]

[​IMG]