1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

yes, the sheen seems to me to be very non-CBD.

2. FillW

FillW Senior member

54L? I never would've guessed that you guys were that big!

BTW- Pingson and Claghorn have been my favorite posters for the past month or so! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

5 people like this.
  4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the sheen is more non-SF than non-CBD.

2 people like this.
  5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think they might be talking in Italian sizing?

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

Love that suit, Crusty, and Clags that's a lovely tie. Great fits, both.

Thanks Mr D, I'm humbled! I get all my suits made as three piece, but not all are wearable in the extreme heat here. This one's new, and it's pretty cool the last couple of days. Also although it's a simple worsted wool, it's pretty light and I had it half lined at the back to compensate. The wool ones like this I probably won't wear without the waistcoat, so have no belt loops and buttons for braces. The linen one I had made before it is also a three piece, but with belt loops instead for sensible two-piecing when it's 50C.

So this and its future sisters from another tailor, will all be as "average day" as the climate will allow. I certainly love to wear a suit in its complete glory. Sports jackets are great, but for a me a real suit has three pieces, and the lesser formality of linen and the like can be either; Today meeting some bigshots I wanted to look the part though. Thanks again!

If only that were all, Junior. This and one sports jacket were an experiment with a new "tailor" who's really more like MTM, and not big on details. I like the lapels, but yeah, that was one of a few small irritations. The rest of the new stuff continues with someone else. I shall seek my redemption from a higher power, though. ;)

Funny, I've always felt rather the opposite. Those lovely soft madders and challises always strike me as just a little bit more rural, and the more lustrous neats very "city banker". Still, the former are inherently prettier, I can't deny. I just wanted something a bit more "F.U." on this occasion (contract negotiation!).

5 people like this.
  7. ridethecliche

Can I use that line next time I post a fit?

8. mimo

mimo Senior member

At your own risk, my friend!

Incidentally, along with the great triumvirate of Crusty, Butch and CP, you have helped inspire me to experiment with a bow tie. I thoroughly enjoyed wearing one with my dinner suit last week, and decided to re-evaluate the concept more generally. A couple of cheap ones are on order for testing next month. Thank you for daring to differ.

2 people like this.
  9. ridethecliche

Me? Surely you jest!

Next you'll concede that you got inspiration from AAS!

10. mimo

mimo Senior member

Did I not see you wearing a bow tie recently?

(And "Suited" - thank you too!)

1 person likes this.
  11. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

What is the consensus on pocket squares matching bow ties? My wife got me matching bow tie/pocket square (pictured below) but I couldn't muster the inclination to wear the bow tie today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

To be avoided...

2 people like this.
  13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

I'm with SugarB

But please continue to wear those shoes in good health.

2 people like this.
  14. ridethecliche

You did. I wear them often. I actually just bought a few more so they'll be making the rounds shortly. I do need more of a variety in them though. Most of my SF-approved ones are red...

I have some non-SF approved ones, but they're kinda big. I still wear them though!

There was a great post yesterday saying that basically said that PS and ties are accessories. As such, you don't want them to be the focus. It's best to have the tie and ps compliment something else, such as the shirt.

15. ridethecliche

Just a little something...

Khaki blazer
    Burgundy shirt
    Navy tie
    Burgundy/silver/black pocket square

[​IMG]

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

that too lo.

city banker does not always = correct CBD. i dont think anything with a sheen can really be CBD. the attention it attracts is kind of an automatic disqualifier.

this

17. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I know the rule with PS and regular ties, I just wanted to double check the same applied with bow ties. I assumed so, and thats why I'm not wearing the bow tie today. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. NickPollica

NickPollica Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The "C" in CBD stands for conservative, no? That said, nothing with shine is particularly conservative, outside of formalwear. I think that ties with sheen are seen as part of the widespread business wardrobe lexicon thanks to the prevalence of the Brioni look in finance. That look isn't particularly conservative either.

1 person likes this.
  19. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Christmas food shopping today with my mom, which is an annual tradition, so pretty casual. Would like to have done a more fun PS, but white linen, burgundy/red silk, silver silk, and black silk are all I have right now, and I honestly don't know where my silks are since I moved. Also inaugural selfies with the new phone. I think they are better than most of the pics with my old phone; do you guys agree?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. ridethecliche

Hey guys, I have two quick ish questions.

1) where on your waist do you wear pleated pants? How should they drape when done right?
    2) what's too big for a pocket square? I thrifted a few cool scarves that should work, but they're not exactly tiny and make the pocket bile a little. Acceptable?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.