1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Really nice colors and textures, but the jacket looks about 2 inches too short.

2. FillW

FillW Senior member

Nice!

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

If you happen to be shovelling coal.

I love you, T.

4. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Curious-- why combine the green sweater vest, dark shirt, and lighter than shirt tie?

5. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

isn't 38r the same guy that made fun of AAS's fit?

yet here he is catching trips and calling people trolls for giving sincere advice.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    5 people like this.
  6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thanks. I went button collar given how heavy the fit was on the tweed side. Spread collar seemed too "city".

Yes, this is a hair shorter than is ideal. I think 2 inches overstates it (indeed it measures just 0.5 inches off my preferred length), but I certainly see your point. Camera angle may also be a factor.

7. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I finally know where I have seen that look before (besides Dr. Who!). It is another BBC Sci Fi show...David Dixon as Ford Prefect in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

[​IMG]

8. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Yeah...I guess I can see how that could go either way. But maybe next time you wear the vest try a spread and see how it looks.

9. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

This fit is making me really look forward to Spring. Although I am still enjoying all of the excellent fits the cold weather is producing.

10. FillW

FillW Senior member

:crackup:

+1 :D

1 person likes this.
  11. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Put me in the camp of those who like it. Not sure why, but I do. Wouldn't wear it a lot, but for a change of pace. And I also agree with stitches that it is a good pattern to peak out of a sweater.

1 person likes this.
  12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

kamakura. :)

---

dear 38R,

please allow me to share a few thoughts on this mornings brouhaha. and to everyone else here, please indulge me with this dead horse beating post.

1. this is not a blog. its not a personal blog or a collective blog. yes, this thread is titled what are you wearing right now, not please critique my fit. however, as long as this thread had been in existence, and that is quite a long time, it has served as a place for people to post what they are wearing and receive feedback, good or bad and often a mix of both. this is not a thread to just post a fit and walk away expecting people to just look and think either i like that or i dont. its not a masturbatory picture thread for people to narcissistically post pictures of themselves, though we all do have a bit of narcissism in us. it is a thread to share and learn. everyone who posts a fit here knows that, or should know that.

2. you may very well have been at the menswear game for a long time, so long in fact that you know your style and do not care for critiques. thats fine. but you have been here for well over a year, and you are plenty active on the forum. there is no possible way that you do not know that your style is pretty much the anti-SF. even more so than AAS. i mean that in no derogatory way, but the style you aim for is quite clearly far outside the bounds of what SF approved or desired type style is. that is fine, you do you, but i cannot understand why any of the feedback you received would in any way be surprising to you. you have been here for long enough to know that the nature of this thread, whatever the title may be, is to post fits and get feedback, and to know that the style you shoot for, however deliberately, is very much not what the majority of SFers would consider to be good.

3. i have long struggled with this concept of how to take critique from someone i think dresses poorly. in the end, it appears to me that if the person is a complete and total train-wreck, i ignore it. if they have a pretty decent understanding of style but are prone to blunders now and then, then there is no reason in my opinion not to take their feedback at face value, regardless of any mistakes they might have made. no one (or very few) dresses perfectly, and there is plenty to learn even from people who may not be perfect in their dress themselves.

anyhow, those are the thoughts that i had after reading this mornings back and forth.

that being said, here is my fit. critique away. here is mine, the pants need a half inch of length and are probably too tapered for my build. some would say as well that for my build and large shoe size these shoes are too aggressive for me, especially with these pants. i do not entirely disagree. the rest i think is lovely. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23 people like this.
  13. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Despos-made Air Force blue Minnis flannel suit
    Truzzi shirt
    Kiton tie
    Ralph Lauren challis pocket square

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  14. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

Most percantage of my thumb is for the text. The shoes seems a little bit too large and the lapel of the coat is in my opinion too small. The mix of textures and colors is as always very good.

15. FillW

FillW Senior member

Stitch: Needs a PS. :hide:

4 people like this.
  16. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Good Stitch, very good.

Your personal critique is very informative, thanks for that. Getting an appreciation of how others see their wardrobe/fits is very enlightening (still learning)

I particularly like the texture pic, bang on.

That tie does it for me too :nodding:

______

Aportnoy, love that flannel

1 person likes this.
  17. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

Thanks for the thumbs yesterday.

18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thumbs for both the text and the fit. But I agree with your assessment of the aggressive tapering.

19. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I think that vest is tricky, because it's tweed, but also a pretty formal style - I'd love one in black worsted wool to go with my morning coat. You're maybe combining country and city there already, so perhaps a country colour shirt, like pale green, with a spread collar, might marry the whole thing. Or it could be a disaster, I'm really not sure. Just thinking out loud.

20. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

What is the general rule on pant leg opening to foot size - 75% or 2/3? And is it of the foot's length or the shoe length? I don't know, but if you subscribe to that the tapering is a tad much, but everything else is immaculate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.