1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Just a question: What is more accurate...when one person calls ten different people a "troll" or when ten people call one person a "troll?"

1 person likes this.
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

YRR92, denim jeans are the work of Satan. Especially pale ones that look even more like overalls. And especially when combined with actual gentleman clothes. There. Got it off my chest. Shall we all call each other names now? I think not. It's not personal. It's just "Classic Menswear". [​IMG]

On which note: welcome back, Noodles. I don't like your shirt. But I would probably like it a bit with a lighter, probably solid, sports jacket. Your proposed change of status makes sense (relegation sounds mean).

Don, looking good. I think you should allow your trousers a little break, though: regardless of the Italian-inspired SF orthodoxy, I think no-break trouser legs made all but very thin men look dumpy, and are also a little incongruous with heavier or more formal suits. Each to his own though, and that's a tasty looking bit of flannel you have there. Nice.

Mr D, you're on stony ground there, Sir. By that logic, what "people" say would always be right. Common opinion is no substitute for insight, although even a broken clock is right twice a day. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    3 people like this.
  3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rudals, that is a beautiful shirt, but I am struggling to think of a tie that would work with that.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

...and I thought RTC was a nice new addition to this thread (attitude-wise) and thought the trend would continue. [​IMG]

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Love the suit, tie and hanky, but the shirt collar lets this one down. Didn't you design your own collar for Luxire? I'm wondering how those shirts will turn out!

1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

In my most humble opinion, glen plaid shirts would be so much more well served with button-down collars and worn with sweaters, not jackets and ties.

3 people like this.
  7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I quite like it - it has a very Turnbull & Asser vibe going on.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Yup. This is my final attempt. Then I'll move onto the shirts from Korea. I am guessing I should start with solid ties?

9. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

They don't bug me that much, but I'm young and American. I like them better than uncreased/too skinny trousers. I've been doing a lot less jeans/jacket lately, but I've been aiming less for what NickPollica is aiming for: very casual but still in a sportcoat. I've been leaning towards slightly dressier sportcoat rigs, interspersed with stuff that's more like straight up casual -- thick sweater and jeans.

Of course, I'm likely to wear jeans with tweed today, but that's the kind of day I'm going to have.

Edit: Rudals, I think a solid knit or grenadine a shade or two darker than the red in that tie could work. I tend to avoid shirts that dark and glen-plaid shirts because I don't feel I know what to do with them.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I am leaning towards that way. I gave this shirt couple of shots and it just doesn't go well with my conservative suits/looks. Thanks for chiming in.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YRR92 [​IMG]

Edit: Rudals, I think a solid knit or grenadine a shade or two darker than the red in that tie could work. I tend to avoid shirts that dark and glen-plaid shirts because I don't feel I know what to do with them
    I didn't know what to do with it from the beginning and it is definitely going into the business casual after today. bummer

11. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

The contest could possibly be greater, I agree. I hope it is greater in real life, but maybe not....

I was anticipating this comment, and hence must point you to this. :nodding:

In short, I know that I should undo the last button, but alas the waistcoat is on the short side and the trouser rise is also not as high as i would like, so I keep the button closed to not show any shirt/tie. The problems of buying RTW when you're 6'6".......

1 person likes this.
  12. in stitches

I cannot imagine a glen plaid shirt working with the conservative suit. They seem to be conflicting at their very core to me. Even in the British style of wearing louder shirts with conservative suits I think that is more usually seen using things like bright colored stripes and whatnot, nothing quite like a glen plaid. But I could be wrong, I'm not an expert on that at all.

1 person likes this.
  13. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

It´s and old T.M. Lewin shirt and I am starting to change shirts from T.M. Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt with MTO shirts. The NOBD I collar is nice, maybe 80 -90% of what I am seeking for. So I make some adjustments and in 10-14 days we can see the result.

1 person likes this.
  14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

How about:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. in stitches

I am sure it looks lovely IRL. Also, I had no idea you were so damn tall. Wow.

Lastly, great blog post, and it makes an excellent point. Well done.

16. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

A small price to pay to comfortably wear what is an excellent suit.

1 person likes this.
  17. in stitches

This thread needs so much more of aportnoy and so much less of other crap.

2 people like this.
  18. mimo

mimo Senior member

I actually think small neat patterns are better: just as formal, but add some subtle character. Sometimes wearing all solids (and I have to say, this is something I've change in my own wardrobe over the years) can look terribly flat - and adding brighter colours alone rarely works. Grab a couple of Macclesfields for classic, safe CBD without that "mail order catalogue" look.

1 person likes this.
  19. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    "Here at SF, we now have photoshop capabilities to instantaneously improve your look!"
    This just cracked me up. Nice job, dude. LOL

20. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Haha, I was wondering myself what tie would work. Seen as I don't own a glen plaid shirt, crudely pohotshopping your pic is all I can do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.