1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

That jacket is AMAZING! I didn't know pleats could be removed. How much does that cost if you don't mind me asking?

Nice socks and shoes. I'm really starting to like split toe norwegians.

EPIC! Braces are super.

I love the pants and jacket. I really like the tie and square, but not together and with this outfit.

Double POW? Yes and yes. Love the shoes too. I wish the tie was a bit wider. 3"?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  2. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Props to Crusty for staying fly in the face of all this snow. I was going to wear my new boots today, but I didn't want to wear them in the snow. They're suede with rubber soles, but I was out of waterproofing spray this morning.

I'm not crazy about all the burgundy in hindsight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

tbh, i didnt even notice at first that pinson had 2 PoWs going on. which is success on his part imo.

i think its because:

1. the tie is a subtle print
    2. the scales are varied
    3. the tie has its PoW on an sharp angle and on the jacket, even on the lapels pretty much, it is a horizontal PoW.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's better, AAS. Still kooky, but better.

2 people like this.
  5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thanks, man. I found it "secondhand" new with tags and reasonably priced. It came with a waistcoat (to be featured tomorrow) -- two thirds of a three piece suit, and I've been trolling Ebay to find the reverse orphaned trou. Working cuffs and dual vent.
    The pants originally were inward pleated, unlined and vintage. I loved the colors and design, but rarely used them because of the pleats and their bagginess (9.5 leg opening. When my local guy got a new, very reasonably priced tailor, I put her through the paces. After the usual alterations (hemming and such) came back good, I decided to give her a whirl slimming and removing the pleats. They look baggy here, but I suspect they will present better once they're properly hemmed and hang correctly. Whole thing cost me around $40 -- which is probably even overstated since I pay a large portion of my alteration tab with secondhand clothing finds in my guy's size.

6. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum friends:
    Liverano tie from Skoak
    Borrelli from STF
    Meermin museum calf MTO

10 people like this.
  7. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Quote:
    Thanks, guys. All your comments are well-taken. I won't go out burning that tie yet, but now I know that it is less attractive than I originally thought. Glad you appreciate the PS. I'm quite fond of that one. Noticed too that no one commented on the fit, etc. so I'm guessing those are fine.

Holdfast, you are right. That was what I was going for. It was an afternoon Christmas party and I thought adding a bit of color would make the outfit more "fun."

Cousindonuts, as for the collars, I have noticed the general preference for spreads in this thread. I've always thought that that was more of a personal preference thing, and I didn't realize there was a more "acceptable" choice. As I said, I've always liked forward points and I specifically choose that collar type when buying shirts. It may be time for me to learn to appreciate other collar styles as well.

And Claghorn, thanks for the comment. I often lurk on this thread and I particularly enjoy your style and fits. Very helpful advice.

FWIW, the tie actually wasn't THAT shiny. I sort of filtered the pic to make the colors stand out, making the tie shinier in the process. This was the original pic. Not saying it's any better, but this is the tie's more accurate color:

[​IMG]

For comparison, you can see the edited pic here:

[​IMG]

8. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Still really shiny. If you really like point collars, go for them, but defaulting to spread is a nice idea.

2 people like this.
  9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jacket - Pal Zileri Sartoriale
    Shirt, belt - Oxford
    Tie - Paul Smith
    PS - Herringbone
    Pants - Canali
    Shoes - GG Mayfair

6 people like this.
  10. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

LOL! Alright, I get it. And yeah, will try to slowly replace my shirts with spread collars.

2 people like this.
  11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cox, is that taken at a doctor's office!?

(also, when there isn't enough contrast between trou and jacket, part of our brain thinks it's a suit while the rest of it knows it's not, creating some cognitive dissonance)

12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Yes.

1 person likes this.
  13. mimo

mimo Senior member

I may well post a pic in jeans and a beanie in a couple of weeks once I'm back in a European winter (and not working). But not like...

Hope you had fun digging the garden.

Truth. But in this instance, I suspect the difference in pattern and texture is more obvious in real life.

1 person likes this.
  14. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I'm in the same place as you on shirt collars. I just have to resist the temptation to go for too many french cuffs as I buy new ones, but I'm drawn to shiny objects. Just not ties. Ties should be on the dull side.

1 person likes this.
  15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think texture and pattern is enough for for our subconscious to draw the distinction. On a conscious level, there would be no doubt (whereas with other looks where you've got pattern/texture much closer to each other, it might take a few seconds or we might need to move closer to determine whether the guy is wearing a suit). Subconsciously, I think we focus on color. If it's close enough, it feels like a suit.

I think even this is pushing it:
    [​IMG]

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

I'm sure you're right. But your pic's proper anyway.

17. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Well, I do take that as success on my behalf :D

18. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Beautiful ties and beautiful pocet-square. Compliments.

1 person likes this.
  19. Sprezziamo

Sprezziamo Senior member

[​IMG]

iPhone's camera doesn't focus anymore, so I haven't posted much lately. Today's outfit is a bit different from the usual, so I'm gonna post it anyway, I hope you can get a rough idea.

10 people like this.
  20. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

pic from earlier today.
    [​IMG]

Pendleton Blackwatch, Austin Reed tie, Braemar cashmere cardigan, Brooks brothers Blazer. hand painted pocket square.
    edit: i am not asking for your opinions. i will continue to wear this.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.