1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Quote: deets on the shirt, please.

1 person likes this.
  2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Is it just me, or is uploading pics from your phone to SF no longer possible?

3. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

Last of four new grenadin ties. This times from Exquisit Trimmings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  4. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

Very nice combo.

1 person likes this.
  5. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

The vest and pocket square are solid this time around. I was debating a solid royal blue or navy tie, but tried to get a patterned one in there. I teach high school math. There's no dress code. There's a lot of jeans and t-shirts. I'm by far the dressiest of the bunch. There's only one other teacher I've ever seen in a pocket square and it's always been white linen.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Funny you should ask, as that was the last time you'll see that shirt. It's quite old and certainly showed it in places, so it's now been relegated to the big circular filing cabinet...

... having said that, it was either an Acorn or Ringhart fabric. If you're really keen on it, it might be worth PM'ing member HenryCarter as he has a shirt made from a near-identical looking fabric that he's posted in this thread on occasion. I might get another bold lilac gingham at some point; best paired with a solid suit, and can be quite effective in that context.

PS. to Bill Dlwgosh: I get the spirit of your comments, don't worry about that. But I don't think it's surprising that most of us don't conceptualise our pics as broadcasting to the world, and therefore don't make much effort with photographic quality. "Good enough" is, well, good enough for our purposes. Obviously, for the ardent bloggers or our industry members here, different priorities apply... and it's very noticeable that their photos tend to be of correspondingly better technical quality (pace edmorel... [​IMG]). But for the rest of us, we're not managing our personal brand images, just shooting the breeze by comparing outfits. So the motivation to get better quality photos is minimal. On one specific point, though, I disagree that a P&S pic using the flash is better than not. I use a P&S resting on a ledge to take my snaps but any pics with the flash seem terribly flat/harsh/shiny (my camera's 6-8 yrs old; maybe that has something to do with it). And turning on the indoor lights throws the colours totally out of whack. I find it much better to just quickly adjust a non-flash photo afterwards instead; much more grainy esp. in winter, but at least the colours are about right. If you - or anyone - have a zero-cost & minimal-effort way around that dilemma, I'm all ears!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    3 people like this.
  7. TJhambone09

TJhambone09 Senior member

First time posting in this thread. I'm a little new to this. Picking up quality pieces to replace my older junk slowly but surely. This is my fit from yesterday at work. Lighting is awful since it was in a hospital bathroom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JAB charcoal 3 button suit
    Stafford shirt
    Hickey Freeman silk/linen blend tie. Camera colors aren't great but it's pink, grey, and lilac stripes. It's more distinct from the shirt than the picture shows
    AE Tribeca loafers - rubber sole beaters since it's a winter wonderland in Upstate NY.

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Light ties are difficult for the same reason that dark shirts are difficult; you want a good amount of contrast between the tie and the shirt. White on white just doesn't fly.

(There are a number of other issues, but I'm not wanting to swamp you on your first post)

- Three button doesn't get much love here. I'll give it more love than most. But it doesn't complement your body type. Next time you get a suit, make it two button.
    - Loafers don't get much love here. I'm not gonna give those any. I dislike loafers, but I can see how they can work in a slightly more informal (e.g. odd jacket and trouser) look. With a suit? Definitely not. Still, I suppose it's better than messing up another pair of shoes in foul weather.
    - JAB also doesn't get much love here. Their quality is very poor. Since you are replacing your old stuff, you might not want to bother with tailoring that particular suit. If you do, your sleeves could be shortened to show a bit of cuff. The pants are also a tad too long, though some break is a good thing.

2 people like this.
  9. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I like this "summer in the winter look" depending on where you live it could be great. Can't believe you teach HS math however... I've had grad professors that apparently don't even own collared shirts and I know $800/hr. attorneys who go to the office in shorts and flip flops. :plain:

10. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Ah then the creativity is certainly in place - and being a math geek it all makes more sense :p It was the middle of the night when I posted that so I guess I miscounted the patterns. Maybe too many different colours is what I was feeling.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

As of when? Worked for me yesterday. (Answering Monkeyface...)

12. TJhambone09

@Claghorn - quote function isn't working on my phone otherwise I would have quoted you. Thanks for the advice and I agree on all counts. I won't get offended and I'm only here to learn and improve.

As I said, the tie is much darker in person, so the contrast is more than it seems, but I agree that it is too light for a white shirt.

Agreed on three button, I used to like them but not so much any more. I do plan on going two button for any future purchases. I bought a two button blazer about 6 months ago from BB and like the look much better.

Agreed on loafers. I do like them and wear them with odd trousers and jeans, but not usually with a suit. My usual brown shoes are Alden Norwegian front bluchers, but I recently misplaced my overshoes and I couldn't bear to wear them in 6" of snow and salt.

Agreed on JAB. I bought these about four years ago from JAB and they have served their purpose, but it's time to upgrade. I think the sleeve issue is caused by the position I'm standing in to take the picture, as when my hands are at my side, 1/4" of cuff does show.

Again, thanks and I'll try to post more to get feedback to improve.

13. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

It looks like the shirt collar is too small.

14. mimo

mimo Senior member

New dinner jacket on its debut at the opera. Tribute to Claghorn: "The Bog Shot"

[​IMG]
    Hard to make out, but details:

Jacket: light weight super 140s and cashmere something Italian I can't remember, by my local tailor
    Trousers: 400g barathea from Harrison's of Burley - not as light and smooth as the jacket, but I got it because it's super-black and hangs nice and straight
    Cummerbund, sized bow tie: silk barathea,TM Lewin
    Marcella dress shirt: also Lewin
    Studs: can't for the life of me remember
    Links: Atkinson's of Grimsby stainless steel art deco c. 1930, via my late grandfather
    Shoes: didn't show up in time, so improvisation of polishing up old captoe oxfords and making satin laces
    Watch: Dad's old Omega on a new simple black strap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plumbing/tiling: some Bangladeshi dudes.
    Vintage mobile telephone: "Research In Motion", Canada

16 people like this.
  15. TJhambone09

From last night at a holiday party. Cropped from a photobooth printout haha!

Same suit except navy, same shirt. Red herringbine with navy blue paisley tie from BB, sweater from BR (I believe silk wool blend but not 100% sure off the top of my head). Wore the proper Alden shoes this time, not pictured :).

[​IMG]

16. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

As said elsewhere great look Mimo. Lovely textures and colour combos in that watch pic. 007 eat your heart out :bigstar:

1 person likes this.
  17. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Tried it twice today, but it didn't work. Might've been a glitch in the site, or my phone might've been acting up.

18. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

What I am wearing to the Christmas party tonight. Big ups to Pingson for the know thy measurements tip a while back. This jacket literally came in the mail today and has never seen a tailor. Also, I will be having my tailor sew buttons into these pants so that I can wear them with proper braces.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started with the jacket. It just came in the mail today so I really wanted to wear it. Plus, tonight's group will be fairly casual so I felt a more country jacket would fit well. I chose the shirt next. Light blue color to match the earth tones I am aiming for, and ocbd to match the texture and casual nature of the jacket. I chose the pants next. I felt these contrasted well with the jacket and they toned down the overchecks a bit. I chose socks that matched. Next I grabbed the tie. I couldn't decide between a holiday tartan, a rust/brown/burgundy knit, or this wool one. I felt that the holiday tartans were a bit much given the jacket. Each of the knits felt fine, but not superb. Ultimately the colors in this wool are holiday themed (green and burgundy) but are also fairly conservative, resolving to a sort of brown. It felt like the best of both worlds. I chose the square next. My gut said to go with something light colored to contrast the jacket. I reached for my creme silk and a couple of patterned burgundy ones as well as a tan checked cotton. Ultimately this burgundy one tied to one of the overchecks and has a lighter tan pattern to match the pants. I chose the shoes last. I had these bluchers and a brown brogued boot to decide between. These reverse leather brown bluchers felt perfect to match the tone of the other pieces. Also, the boots were a bit lighter brown and I felt they didn't contrast as well with the pants. Edit: BTW pockets are not actually jetted. I started looking at the pictures and thought that it was odd for this type of jacket. Sure enough, they were tucked in, I'm not sure why they were shipped that way. Rest assured, I untucked them for the party tonight. Sorry for the mistake!

8 people like this.
  19. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i have not had an issue. using tapatalk or SF mobile?

---

spoo and B, nice looks.

20. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Really cool Mimo.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.