• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
^^agree completely HF. good call on the shoes.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the idea of using the spring colours within a darker fit. I wonder if the tie & shoes are pulling a little too separately (ie causing the eye to keep jumping from one to the one rather than taking the whole look in). Maybe the bright tie (or shoes) alone would have been enough to create the same spring effect.
When I saw this, I was thinking that even though I don't normally like really bright ties or light shoes with darker suits, I liked this fit. I think it might be because the shoes pull my eye away from the tie and vice versa. If one or the other were more sober, I think I'd feel like I was paying attention to just the bright one. Also, I think the pattern use is crucial here -- more than one pattern, and it would be too busy, but it wouldn't look as good without the patterned shirt.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's 90% good. Shoes, socks, suit & shirt are all fine. A stronger/brighter tie (or a solid black, if going the other way) would have nailed this IMO.

thank, HF. might try that next time.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that there has already been discussion about these shoes, but what I am still curious about is the "why"? It's like your outfit is a mullet - business on top, party (well, a casual hipster party) on the bottom. If I cover the bottom half of the picture you're meeting with clients. If I cover the top half, you're running errands around the park. I'm confused. Show me the light.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know that there has already been discussion about these shoes, but what I am still curious about is the "why"? It's like your outfit is a mullet - business on top, party (well, a casual hipster party) on the bottom. If I cover the bottom half of the picture you're meeting with clients. If I cover the top half, you're running errands around the park. I'm confused. Show me the light.

If the denim was something special, and the kicks were cooler, then it might work. I'd also go for a knitted wool tie or an old ivy-style repp number if I was going for a tie at all.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. I can't make sense out of a tie paired with orange sneakers. And I can only make sense of orange sneakers when actually jogging.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Today

very nice. great job on the brightness adjustment. this looks dead on.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

+1. I can't make sense out of a tie paired with orange sneakers. And I can only make sense of orange sneakers when actually jogging.

agreed. i think it was whimsical when he wore them with denim and sportcoat and no tie...but i think this is a no go.

peu407

Reaction score

I'm confused. I love the upper body outfit but the bottom is pretty meh to me (including the belt). Maybe a plain khaki chinos, a pair of brown suede monks and a dark knitted tie would work better as a "business casual" outfit, IMHO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads