1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

I like it!

1 person likes this.
  2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

stugotes, you're just flat wrong about Doc's peaks. Thems is the duck's nuts.

ridethecliche (and WTF does that even mean, man?), the nehru is kinda cool IMO, but can't be done in the MC style. It's too distinctive a piece to try to bend to the conventions of MC.

4 people like this.
  3. sugarbutch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    11 people like this.
  4. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Homey, lemme give you some advice that might save you 137 seconds of typing every time you upload a picture....all of the justifications that you put on your posts about why your pants are orange or why you have 4 buttons buttoned or why you dress better than the people you are around are not going to convince anyone HERE to suddenly like what you're wearing. There is a certain aesthetic on this board and trying to talk your way into it ain't gonna get you anywhere.

That being said, some of your stuff is fine. Pretty much not what I'd wear, but fine. But you're trying to cram a proverbial round peg into a square hole on the Classic Menswear thread. If you came here just to post a pic of yourself, then do so and leave off the justifications. But if you want to dress better, and pass the sniff test, then don't worry about your margaritas and instead listen to what people say about fit (literal fit, like that flaring at the hips of all your jackets) or shirt/tie combos.

2 people like this.
  6. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

For the working this night. Sorry for that skinny tie. It´s coming today from Suit Supply, after I see that tie in the german style forum. I had better take a look on the width and it seems that´s they are tailoring more for younger people. Think I will give it away to some younger guy of my fraternity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Afternoon Gents
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

It may seem a little sprezzy, but you should put the backblade of the tie next to the front blade, and dimple them both. This way your tie will be 1-1.5" wider, making it perfectly acceptable. I do this with most of my ties if I'm wearing a jacket with wide lapels or a double breasted suit.

1 person likes this.
  9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yohji Yamamoto 100% silk jacket
    Versace silk double faced paisley scarf
    Borrelli shirt
    Ralph Lauren Purple Label unlined 7 fold
    Vintage anon wool cardigan
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    J. Crew Bowery pants
    Carmina

4 people like this.
  10. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Awesome Spoo...way to shake up the routine!

11. tattoodobem

tattoodobem Well-Known Member

i think it looks cool. it's also because of the trousers. you aren't going for classic. And you look like a young guy dressed up. can you try it with one button closed only? you might start a new fashion.

12. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Just headed to the library to study, but I felt like wearing a suit . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I chose the suit first. I have been wanting to wear it again for a while but haven't had much opportunity. Only going to study tonight, but I figured, what the heck. I chose the tie next, deciding that a small patterned navy (neat?) would be a good choice against the lighter gray of the suit. Next, I chose the shirt. I actually tried on a light blue gingham first but decided it wasn't "fall" enough. Then I tried a plain white one, but I really didn't like the contrast with the navy in the tie. It looked too stark and washed out to me. I finally settled on this light blue one. I chose some lighter gray socks, though they are still darker than the suit. I chose the shoes next. I was going to go with black cap toes, but I thought the merlot would work better and add more interest. Finally threw in the square. It is probably too matchy, but I am very limited in squares. I felt myself wishing I had a wine paisley (madder?).

Worried that the mid gray is not consistent with fall, especially on an overcast day like today.
    Thinking about purchasing some more squares.
    Also thinking about some cufflinks.
    Also, I REALLY want more spread collar shirts. Looks so much sharper with the points hidden IMO. One thing at a time . . . . :p
    Some of you may recognize the suit. I think the pants look much better now, thanks for the advice!

6 people like this.
  13. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

I had a really hard time getting dressed today. I started with a pair of brown flannel pants, added the red windowpane shirt followed by the hunter cardigan. I had a hard time picking a tie. I tried a bow tie, but felt the collar was too spread for it. I then tried a tartan patchwork tie, but felt the knot didn't work with the collar spread. I then tried a striped wool tie, but I thought the windowpane and stripes clashed too much. I put on some red socks to go with the shirt, but found them too flashy given the length of the pants. My motto: when in doubt go with navy. I changed to a navy tie and navy sport coat. I put on some brown socks. Lastly, I picked the navy/red/brown/white pocket square and the navy/red nato strap. It think they both tied everything together well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  14. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Tell me who makes this suit NOW!!!!! I like it : - )

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Gents. Your words have been heeded. Thrifting today led to upping my pant game by like a billion percent. I now own a few fairly nice wool pants. Some might need to be hemmed etc, but the game is afoot.

Let the games begin. Or continue, rather.

16. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

You tell 'im! [​IMG]

On Nehru jackets, they're cool pieces. They're an interesting mix of old and new. One day, I might get a Nehru suit (and mandarin-collared shirt) myself, in some summery fabric. The thing is, they really need to fit exceptionally well in order to look right, much more so than a normal jacket because of their eye-catchingly different appearance. I know many Nehru jackets are cut loose, but I believe they look best when cut trim.

One thing I think looks very bad with a Nehru jacket is wearing a standard necktie & collared shirt underneath it. Go the whole hog, with a mandarin-collar shirt, and button up the jacket nearly to the top. Also, get a jacket with lots of buttons, the more the merrier. 4 or 5 only looks fusty. I would even consider 9 buttons, grouping them into triplets or something like that. The point is that having lots of buttons differentiates it, making the look deliberate and a bit more directional.

4 people like this.
  17. cbusguy

cbusguy Senior member

After 12+ hours of wear.

[​IMG]

Pants look short because of the angle. JK--they are really short.

2 people like this.
  18. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

All that for the library on a Friday night? Now THAT is sartorial commitment.

19. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Don-- hate to see you give up on a tie that's a bit narrow-- what about unbuttoning the topmost and bottom buttons of the waistcoat, and giving your tie a twist to one side so that both blades show while popping the tie up a bit? this would basically take it to / close to the width you're used to; I did it in this pic, liked the slightly less formal look and the tie wasn't excessively skinny. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. sugarbutch

Worn with the vest as you show in your picture, I don't think the tie is too narrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.