1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Afternoon Gents
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

The main thing for me is the colour of the suit, which if you've worn before, I haven't personally noticed before. That steely blue feels much more "aggressive" & eye-catching. The other elements are all arguably similar to your typical choices, but with the different backdrop of that suit, the overall ensemble "shouts" much louder. It looks good, though. I think it's one to trot out when you're in a more informal environment and are wearing a suit for leisure, rather than necessarily for work (depending on your line of work, naturally).

It's nice to see posters mixing things up a bit sometimes.

3. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Just plain classic. The socks are a natty touch.

1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Good afternoon, Fred. Looking good as always.

Thanks for the explanation, HF. I have worn this suit before, but maybe it just didn't pop quite as much as it did this time. Either way, I'm glad you like it, and fortunately I work in an environment where wearing something a little bit more eye-catching is not at all a problem for me.

1 person likes this.
  5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New suit Tuesday.
    Sartorio by Kiton DB plaid with raspberry over check
    Finamore shirt
    Nicky Milano wool silk floral tie
    Tom Ford PS
    Hierbas de Ibiza
    Gaziano & Girling Westminster

25 people like this.
  6. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

^ Long time no see. As good as ever. That tie is killer!

1 person likes this.
  7. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Thank you for all the thumbs yesterday. Here's something pretty different.

I wanted to wear these shoes yesterday, but decided against it at the last minute. I planned to wear them today and choose these olive/brown pants first to go with them. I picked the shirt next. I oxicleaned it two weeks ago. I haven't worn in in several months. I thought the brown went nicely with the olive and tan. I picked the brown wool herringbone tie next. More brown, but also another pattern. I thought about other brown ties mostly solid, but thought this was an interesting non traditional pattern mix. I decided to go all solids after that. I went with the tan vest. More brown, but also similar to the shoes and some more texture. I thought it was going to be too much brown so I added a navy sport coat and navy socks next. I ended with a solid white pocket square and a brown silk knot to echo the brown and white of the shirt. So here we go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    20 people like this.
  8. in stitches

9. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

thanks I really appreciate the compliment. It was a compliment rite? [​IMG]

Thanks! Pings is awsm definitely. + this here below is crushing it. beautiful suit, reverse calf, blues n browns [​IMG]

10. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Of course! :)

1 person likes this.
  11. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Not sure if I like your outfits or your photography better. Very nice. :cheers:

12. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

I must say that your matches are very interesting. You do not have anything out of place. Compliments.

What is the fabric of your shirt? Who manufactured the stuff? I love it.

13. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zegna
    Trwhitt shirt, kamakura square, chipp2 tie
    HF flannels, AE randolphs

1 person likes this.
  14. in stitches

thank you kindly!

15. An Acute Style

Either way, I will take this as a compliment. Thanks.

Thank you, sir. The shirt is a heavy cotton twill. It's from TM Lewin believer it or not. I got it about two years ago.

16. An Acute Style

NEW TUESDAY FACE-OFF!
    SpooPoker vs. DerekS vs. In Stitches
    Who is the real hero?

VOTE HERE NOW!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

thx man- didn't wanta assume. couldabeeen in the 'amazing look' or 'your style is unique' category [​IMG]

18. tattoodobem

tattoodobem Well-Known Member

The minute someone mentioned yoox i thought that wouldn't work for you.
    This is what i would do:
    Choose simple ties over bad patterned ones.
    Your jackets seem to long or large in the hips to me. Altering them instead of buying a new one wouldn't be better?
    Other thing you can do. Buy One SC that fits you well, maybe spend a little more. Do it with time. Some people here look like they have new clothes everyday. Not everyone can afford that.
    Buy piece by piece. For instance don't use ties, go to those later. Don't do it all at once. Go slower. Start with a small wardrobe with good pieces. It's good to use cheaper stuff to test how it fits but if you spend too much on cheap stuff when you do the math that could be enough to buy something better

19. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Today I took some loose inspiration from DonCologne and Holdfast:(I apologize for some of the blurriness in the low lighting)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started with the jacket. I added contrasting cords to match the vibe. I picked a blue ocbd next which was similarly casual. I felt a knit was required and I chose red/burgundy to pick up on the overcheck. I figured the pocket square should be light colored, I chose cream silk to contrast the jacket and bring some lighter color up top. Finished with casual brown loafer and comfy wool socks.

20. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

I hope that vintage store isn't where you're currently getting stuff, man-- because honestly, between the tie and the black kiltie loafers.....not good, they gotta go!

I think vintage is hard to do well, and that there may be many who try but few succeed in finding good pieces and wearing them in style. You're probably better off working ebay or waiting for a good markdown at suitsupply or yoox. I'd much rather have a preowned boglioli jacket from ebay and two $45 ties from suitsupply than to have a dated look absent of the sharp style and sharp look you can achieve by learning from many of the forumites here who do it well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.