1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Don't tell anyone this but...I still wear black suits to the office.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

no one here hates white shirts, there is just a group think, that not everyone, doc holliday most notably, agrees to, regarding their usage.

no one here hates black suits either, there is just a group think, that i agree to, that their use is limited.

--

T - fantastic. btw, super awesome to meet you on sunday, even though you hated on my beard.

--

CottonD - good combo. not sold on that OCBD working with a tie and jacket though.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

You certainly have somewhat eccentric taste. It's interesting; I don't actually dislike it but, well, how can I put it... it puts me in mind of the wacky neighbour in an 80s/90s sitcom. Anyway, whatever floats your boat, but I think you could at least do with harmonising the elements a bit more, regardless of the look you're shooting for. For example, regular wool trousers instead of unironed chinos, and a normal pair of shoes (or even black penny loafers instead of the kilties would work), and a slightly more spread shirt collar. Also, check whether the jacket sleeves are even or not IRL; your right looks too short here.

[​IMG]

Is that Camerer's book, btw? I've heard good things about it... worth a browse?

Wow, that's a very different look for you; interesting suit colour!

Tira: looking sharp.

Dockers: slightly tight at the waist button maybe?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I agree black suiting is not appropriate for all settings. I think few would disagree that a friend's wedding, or a late evening dinner or a trendy bar / lounge wouldn't be a great place to bust one out.

Like so:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

6. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

It's not that black suits are bad, it's just that I can't think of any setting where a dark navy suit wouldn't look better.

Well, maybe a funeral.

And "primary color" or bright red ties are bad, burgundies, wines, etc. are great IMO

3 people like this.
  7. in stitches

no one disagrees that there are times that a black suit is exactly what is called for. but most day to day dressing, does not call for it. unless of course GQ is your style guide, in which case, its always called for. especially at da club!

--

thanks, HF. what about it struck you as so different for me?

8. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I am not sure what point you're trying to make. There's always going to be people who will have different opinions. I wear black suits to my office just because I can and have one. Enough with these pictures. I still hate Tom Ford.

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I never said I was a surgeon. Not once. At best I'm 12 years away. At worst, I won't even get into medical school.

I'm also a couple of 100k a year short!

Haha, I'm wearing a watch on my left wrist. It keeps the shirt sleeve from coming forward more.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm trying to learn how to harmonize the eccentricity to make things whacky without making them 'whack'.

10. Sprezziamo

Sprezziamo Senior member

I'm pretty sure 2nd and 3rd picture are navy, look at the difference between tie (black) and suit (dark navy).

IMHO Navy > Black in 99% of the situation. I do have a black suit, and I haven't used it in a year or so (last time was because I went to La Scala), because the situations where it'd look better than the navy one are very limited.

11. in stitches

yes, everyone can have an opinion.

the point i am making is as follows. according the most basic classical/traditional style ideals, the ones that SF pretty much subscribes to, black suits are not intended for every day wear. they are the high point of formality and belong at certain weddings, evening events, dinner parties and the like, and the most somber of occasions, at a funeral.

now, present trendy style and fashion is very big into the black suit now, and has been for a few years. together with tiny lapels and collars, and shoe lace ties, its the it look. and thats fine. ill admit i think it looks cool sometimes, and anyone who wants to go that way is more than welcome.

but it does not change the fact that within the confines of traditional dress, the confines that SF operates by, its not a suit that belong outside of the aforementioned venues.

people can buck all they want, but it is what it is.

also, whats to hate about tom ford?

1 person likes this.
  12. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

LOL - I was talking to MGD8, not you Stitch. I was asking why he kept on posting pictures of random crap.
    By the way, can you rub me off some of your confidence? Superb look today. [​IMG]
    Oh Tom Ford, yeah I hate him because my WAYWRN got buried in some stupid discussion on Tom Ford and I've hated Tom Ford since then.

1 person likes this.
  13. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Not sure if the second suit is a dark navy, but I took the picture of Michael Caine from the original Get Carter, and I'm sure he wore black and grey throughout the movie if I can remember.

Anyways, Stitches summed it up best. A black suit is not for everyday wear, and it shouldn't be unless your name is Johnny Cash. But you can do a lot worse then a simple black suit / white shit combo.

1 person likes this.
  14. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I'll have the final say on this MGD83. You, me, Stitch, and most of the other people are on the same page on the subject of black suits. I hope I didn't come across as arguing against you. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. in stitches

oh, oops. :laugh:

you may have as much of my confidence as you need. i have less than i give off tho.

lol, dont let that bog you down, TF makes a lot of great items.

also, in case anyone thinks anyone was harsh about this black suit discussion, let me relate how this went 3 years ago.

me: hey everyone! quick question, is $600 a good price for a solid black 2 button SB zegna mainline suit?

answer: yes. if you are a preacher, undertaker or ninja.

that told me all i needed to know. :)

4 people like this.
  16. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

17. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

You need to watch the movie again, the most iconic suit in the movie is clearly navy (made by Douglas Hayward BTW).

[​IMG]

18. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Pingson you are correct. He did wear a black topcoat though.

19. in stitches

i have never seen that movie. :embar:

will watch tonight. i hear there is copious amounts of boobage. oh noes!

20. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

It's a 3 piece suit with a double barrel alteration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.