1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Member

Very nice piece that will last another 30 years (at least). Congratulations!

2. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Stitchy's got it exactly right, and this is the advice you will get on the thrift thread, too. Almost 0% of my wardrobe (other than unmentionables) was bought retail (unless you count TJX as retail). To be sure, a few things are off by a half inch here or there, but I like to think my eye has improved to the point that I'm generally pretty close. Be ruthlessly honest with yourself about what really fits (lurk here for good examples then emulate), and if you are buying only for yourself (as opposed to for trade/resale), save the money for the items that fit.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tibor

Tibor Senior member

Mid-1930's Dinner Suit
    Bespoke Blue-Grey Pure Beaver Fedora handmade in England.
    Fire-Engine red silk pocket square in the "Astaire Fold"

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Interesting. I have a few British and Australian friends (New Zealand too, but who counts them?) and I know it is a big thing there. I see way more poppies on commonwealth folks that I do on Americans.

5. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

It's bad manners to wear a hat indoors and I'm sure the original wearer of that suit would have taken his off once he crossed the threshold.

@ Cliche - Stitchy is handing out some sound advice in his last couple of posts. You say you thrifted some of your threads? Take a look at Pingson's jacket and see how it is an almost perfect fit? THAT is how to thrift my friend!

4 people like this.
  6. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

The poppy appeal is centered on the British Legion, so I don't think many Americans really 'get' what it's all about. I wear mine for the first couple of weeks in November and often get asked what's going on with it.

7. Caustic Man

Can you explain what this British Legion is, and why it has widespread appeal in the commonwealth? Most people in the U.S. know when Veterans Day is (stores use it as an excuse to throw sales), but I think few would associate the poppy with it. Which is unfortunate, because it is such a moving and meaningful symbol, once you know what it means.

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yessir!

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Whatever you want to call it, just please don't tell veterans you can "imagine what they've been through". Someone asked me about Iraq and Afghanistan yesterday and then proceeded to tell me he could imagine how tough it was. I got a little angry and told him he could not ever f$@&! imagine it...I felt bad after...he didn't mean it that way. Anyways, I ate a bunch of free food all day so that was nice.

1 person likes this.
  10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

AS, the tie and sweater are too close.

11. Caustic Man

I feel you on that one, brother. However I gotta maintain that good ol military bearing, so to speak. Just always keep it in the back of your mind that these people genuinely do want the best for you, and other veterans. I know it gets hard when when you see how society nearly forgets the wars it asks it's young men and women to fight, but this is the price we pay when people are granted the freedom not to have to fight the wars that it's society embarks upon.

12. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I spent the weekend watching the Band of Brothers and the Pacific and have to say a lot of good men served and a lot died during WWII. I CANNOT imagine what it would have been like and I bet I probably would just cowarded in my foxhole. War is just terrible. If the NoKos come across the south, I'll probably volunteer...but the war would probably end before I get there.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yeah, it's gotten bigger in recent years. Anzac Day, too, has gotten bigger and more important over the years.

14. Tibor

Tibor Senior member

Incorrect. A gentleman may always wear a hat indoors if he is standing or seated at a bar. It is proper manners. When seated at a table he should remove his hat. I am well aware of the rules.

1 person likes this.
  15. Tibor

Tibor Senior member

Absolutely. The corn poppy is a very elegant flower. It would be nice for it to represent the honor and sacrifices of the Allied forces, and still be a symbol of classic style.

1 person likes this.
  16. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Being in Japan right now where the 11/11 isn't observed, I didn't wear any poppy this year. I usually wear a white one. But I don't intend to argue about that here. Let's try to stick to the clothes, people; this isn't a politics thread.

1 person likes this.
  17. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

As I understand it the BL is like a British equivalent to the VA but I think funded through charity rather than the government (at least in part). When I was a kid it was named the Haig Fund after a WW1 general but it MAY have shifted away from that as through the prism of history I think Haig has been identified as one of the donkeys leading the lions.

Anyway the story goes that after the smoke cleared following the armistice, the first thing to start growing in the mud and pestilence of the abandoned trenches that scarred Western Europe from the Bltic to the Mediterranean was poppies, so that's how they got adopted as the symbol of remembrance.

Although its called the British legion, I guess that our commonwealth allies have their own branches but it never really took off with the yanks, who may have had their own version in the works already. I've never really got the difference between Memorial Day in May and Remembrance Day in November, other than the chance to re-watch Band of Brothers again!

1 person likes this.
  18. Caustic Man

We aren't talking politics.

19. Caustic Man

I can tell you the difference in the U.S. Veterans Day (formerly known as armistice day) is to honor living veterans. Memorial day is to honor those who died in war.

20. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

OK I thought it was something like that but the other way around. For us I suppose Remembrance Day covers it all, just like Christmas is family reunion, food and presents all rolled together, so no need for Thanksgiving!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.