1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeCharlieUniform

MikeCharlieUniform Member

OK, time to throw myself to the wolves. This is a baseline image; an example of what I am wearing to work today. I am only just now starting the process of collecting a real wardrobe, so additional images may be few and far between for a while.

I am also aware of some glaring problems here. First, the shirt is WAY too big. In my defense, I've lost nearly 50 lbs, and most of my clothes pre-date the weight loss (like the shirt) or were acquired during the process (the cargo pants). My belt is at it's tightest, and yet is not snug at all (I'm out of belt holes).

I'm mostly posting this to document how bad I look now. I've got three wool suits, some 100% cotton shirts (also too big), and a handful of silk ties; I may take a few staged photos with those to show what I've got to work with for now. Two of the suits are too big (I took them in about 30 lbs ago, which is a whole size below what I bought them at, but they need to be tailored again), and the third is from undergrad 12-15 years ago and now fits again (kinda - I can button the jacket and it doesn't fight back or cry out in agony). I'm not done re-shaping my body - at 6'2" and about 200 lbs, I've got some more fat to trim and muscle to add, but I'm moving into management at work (academic environment) and I can no longer afford to delay getting a "grown-up" wardrobe.

OK, enough pre-emptive begging for mercy. It's time to start the cutting. Nurse, scalpel please. (3 edits later and I've finally got the courage to hit "submit"! [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

2. acecow

acecow Senior member

I'm glad this thread is still keeping things interesting...

In an effort to revive the meme of the picture Mr. Sartoria use for his Esquire entry; (maybe an image you should claim, Mr. Poker in your ongoing series of meme profile pictures?) Here is a little ensemble I wore for a recent fundraiser at the zoo. The invitation did read "safari chic". I hope this qualified...

[​IMG]

A close-up of the accessories. If you look close you will be able to see the half belt and gathered back of the coat I wore underneath:

[​IMG]

Chapeau: Authentic Pith
    Cravat: Custom, Carrot and Gibbs
    Shirt: Made to Measure, Hickey-Freeman
    Suit: Made to Measure, Polo Ralph Lauren
    Shoes: Alden
    Braces: Trafalgar
    Hose: Pantherella
    Crop: Antique
    Watch Chain: Antique​

Bonus picture of a Polar Bear posterior:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jqmunro

jqmunro Well-Known Member

Congrats on the weight loss. With that and getting your clothes spiffed up, you'll look like a new man. Just chuck those cargo pants and that shirt in the Goodwill bin, you won't be needing them anymore.

^what he said. Time to remeasure yourself and find clothes that fit the new you.

4. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

Hermes suit and shirt
    Brioni Tie
    AE shoes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

Some people seem to be really serious here.

6. Milo Minderbinder

Milo Minderbinder New Member

I've been lurking for months, and this is the first post that's got me to actually comment. This is awesome. Everything about it. Admittedly, not for day to day wear, but I think you nailed 'Safari Chic' on the head!

7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Some people seem to be really serious here.

meh

8. Tristan.sf

Tristan.sf Senior member

+1. I want that riding crop.
    [​IMG]

9. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

[​IMG]

Perhaps it's the camera angle and you bowing your head, but I didn't recognize you at all from the first picture.

10. Navi

Navi Senior member

Hermes suit and shirt
    Brioni Tie
    AE shoes

Did you seriously put your own quote in your sig? [​IMG]

11. acecow

acecow Senior member

Did you seriously put your own quote in your sig? [​IMG]
    He is all about challenging the conventions! As for the suit, it really needs some tailoring... and new shoes. Other than that, you look great in a more classical ensemble, PTW.
    Pants need shortening to fit house style. Off to see '9 to 5' tonight. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This looks a bit comical on you, sorry. Are you a very popular guy who can set his own trends among his friends/peers and get away doing anything? Because if you're not, you'll just look weird wearing this. In general, you seem overdressed for most occasions, although I do like your suits and the way they fit you. Just saying, you might be taking this whole classical dress thing a little too seriously and close to heart. As for this latest fit, I think you need shorter and slimmer pants to make it work better, and even then it'll still look like you're going to a masquerade. (Disclaimer: purely personal opinion, don't pay too much attention)

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

@Holdfast: Great look!
    Thanks.
    How long has it been like this?
    I don't know what you're talking about; Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.
    Is that seersucker OtR? Can I ask where you got it?
    Yes, it's OTR, but a few years old now (maybe 4-5), and has had a bit of tailoring too. It's RL Polo.
    [​IMG]
    This is quite nice.
    The invitation did read “safari chic”. I hope this qualified…
    I'm sure it certainly did! You must be one of the few people to actually have the wardrobe to fulfil that dress code without needing to raid a costume shop... [​IMG]
    ... I've lost nearly 50 lbs...
    Congratulations. As you plan losing more weight, wait until you stabilise at a given shape for at least a few months before spending too much money on new stuff, and certainly before you think about ordering anything with a long delivery time; just keep buying fairly disposable stuff off the rack that fits fairly well. Enjoy being able to buy slimmer stuff than you could before!
    You look so different without the moustache (you did used to have one, right?!). I think it's a serious improvement. But I hope you haven't lost your powers as a result of this hair removal.
    [​IMG]
    I like the grey waistcoat with this. Nice one; it reminds me a bit of the kinds of outfit you used to see shop assistants wear in old fashioned shops. It's a bit costumey that way, I suppose, but still fun.

13. Navi

Navi Senior member

Todays ensemble, complete with way too many pictures [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

this is what I wore on my way here... think it looks pretty good here but im not certain
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dat shine son
    [​IMG]

Apologies for the picture spam! Been a while since I did this. [​IMG]
    and kevinsp8, I finally understand why you keep telling that kid to keep his fedora. You look ridiculous, sorry.

14. acecow

acecow Senior member

^^ Looking good.

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Perhaps it's the camera angle and you bowing your head, but I didn't recognize you at all from the first picture.

me too [​IMG]

16. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

PTWilly keeps slaying on his off days. ON HIS OFF DAYS. Dude oozes shwag.

17. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

18. barims

barims Senior member

"Where is the entertainment? I was told there would be entertainment."

And then it transpired that I was the entertainment

The Barims coming through with the Swag. [​IMG]

Mike

Gorgeous picture!

Many thanks, fellows

You're one cool dude, you know that? [​IMG]

The muddy colours would surprisingly nicely together. It's a bit unseasonal, esp. with an overcoat, mind!

Thank you, Doctor. I made a fruitless (for me) and impromptu family trip to Bicester on Saturday. I may return for the autumn/winter consignments and give you more warning

As for the ensemble, it's actually from last month. But then, London's weather is only finally settling into a holding pattern, temperature-wise

[​IMG]

I'd just found out what happened to Old Yeller

But if you insist:

[​IMG]

19. jwmbro

jwmbro Active Member

But if you insist:

[​IMG]

barims, you truly are one fly dude!

Here's an overcast summer day for me - definitely need to get my jacket sleeves shortened.

[​IMG]
    fun socks
    [​IMG]

20. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.