1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Reddit being listed as the second source...

[​IMG]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaytune [​IMG]

Anonymity on the internet breeds boldness, but I believe if you saw someone wearing the look on the street you might appreciate it a bit more rather than come up to him and tell him that his pairing of trousers were "simply wrong." You have to admit, it is interesting nonetheless when compared with what the lay person is wearing.

Are you the kind of person who tells people on the street that you don't like what they're wearing? Do not try to pin the negative reactions you received on the brusqueness of the internet; it is because you posted here in the first place, showing off your outfit with many stylistic flaws. If I saw someone walking down the street dressed like that, I'd simply think that it was "simply wrong" and carry on.

That being said, fit and colours are done pretty well. You just need to stop thinking that breaking any convention at all is a sign of boldness and style - if it isn't well done, it is a gimmick, no more than that.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  2. Zaytune

Zaytune Member

deleted

3. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

So let me ask this then--why are you posting? Several people have provided constructive feedback. Your response has been to plug your ears and say "BUT I LIKE IT!" That's your right, but it doesn't mean your fit isn't a hot mess. It seems then that you are mostly posting to say "look at me!"

There are miles, oceans of difference between "sprezz" and just throwing together random bits from your wardrobe.

FWIW, Dolce and Gabbana, along with most other similar luxury brands, are not looked too kindly upon here. Quality is generally low, and you pay for the name. Furthermore, even if it was made by Jesus Christ himself, it's still not a good look.

3 people like this.
  4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

From Charles Byrne, the Royal British Legion’s director of fundraising: “We wanted to end the debate about how to wear a poppy during this year’s Poppy Appeal. The way you choose to wear your poppy is a matter of personal choice. As long as you wear it with pride, then you’re wearing it the right way.” They even released a video this year, doing a tongue-in-cheek debunking of all those myths.

Personally, I think they look nicest with the leaf pointing the other way, in line with the jacket lapel. I have no major view on whether the petals are sideways or vertical, though.

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

You keep talking about street style. There is a street wear & denim section of this forum, full of knowledgeable members. I suggest you post your outfit in that part of the forum, maybe they'll be able to appreciate it from a street wear perspective.

2 people like this.
  6. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Mentioning sprezzatura kind of defeats the purpose...

3 people like this.
  7. Zaytune

Zaytune Member

Ah my mistake, I thought this was for posting any outfit one was wearing. Now I see why everyone thought they were giving feedback from a "traditional standpoint". My apologizes for posting in the wrong section.

8. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Jacket look tight across the waist, there's a noticeable X around the button suggesting it has too much waist suppression. I think that is also why the quarters are pulled open so that tie and shirt peek through below the button (which is a look I don't like at all). There's also dome weird bunch around the arm holes - maybe sleeve pitch is off? I'm on my phone so it's pretty hard to see details, but that's what's my first impressions are.

2 people like this.
  9. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

The picture sucks, but i couldn't help posting this fit
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Some won't like the open quarters, but I think it fits you well. The shape works for your sloping shoulders.

1 person likes this.
  11. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Back to normal after the SW&D fiasco!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  12. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Here's what I went for today. Tried to keep in mind mktitsworth's advice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tried to tone the trousers and socks down compared to the shoes
    Went for light blue shirt to try and tone down the jarring contrast of the white in my last attempt
    Tweed as the trousers changed to navy
    Intended to try the green tie again but I opted for a wool as I thought it matched tweed better
    Square: no clue what I'm doing here. Figured tan solid couldn't be too bad. Probably wrong.

Concerns:
    Robo pose reveals I am VERY pear shaped. Not handsome at all in fact imo. Not sure how to minimize this in my wardrobe choices.
    Trousers slightly long? As a rule I generally like a little break.

As always feedback and comments are very welcome. Also, feel free to ignore me if I am becoming tiresome. I'll keep trying.

Also, sorry to drag down the thread with poor fits. I know I like reading through pages of home runs too, but I find I learn the most by trying and failing rather than just reading. If you think my posts belong elsewhere please kindly direct me to the right thread.

Thanks!!!

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Cashmere jacket, cashmere/wool tie and nice thick wool corgi socks in order to keep warm in today's cold weather.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8 people like this.
  14. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Those lapels though :inlove:

1 person likes this.
  15. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I agree, but you won't see the socks when I'm walking/sitting normally. The cuffs were a mistake by a tailor in London. I had requested 2", and got these skimpy ones instead. They're closed on the weekends, making it impossible for me to go there to fix it. Eventually I'll suck it up and pay another tailor to fix them.

1 person likes this.
  17. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    2 people like this.
  18. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Just walking the back 40

19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

"cottage" .. lol

cool as fuck :slayer:

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

Been away a few days. First day back, with first new smaller-me stuff from the tailor: DB jacket in Harrison tropical weight 120s & cashmere. Linen and cotton trousers with SF-friendly 2" cuffs. New tie from Henry Carter and mad PS from Post Imperial. Happy Sunday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.