• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Were the fittings basted or did you try on a mostly finished suit to check for required alterations?

I guess one could imagine (even if rather unlikely) that a MTM suit also could have basted fittings. The main difference, as far as I understand, is whether you had a completely new pattern made for you from your measurements (which would make it bespoke) or whether changes were made to a pre-existing pattern from your measurements (which would make it MTM).

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It was most definitely unfinished the first two fittings. The first time I came in it felt like I was wearing shreds.

Also, what is a "pattern" in this case?

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we could say it is bespoke, then.

Pingson, my tailor can do basted fittings for MTM, because he's got a quite close relationship with the factory (he modifies the block patterns himself); but I guess the difference between MTM and bespoke in this case is that MTM is still made from a block pattern, while bespoke is made from scratch (as you've said).

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Teaching New York in the 20s/30s today (or as near as I can get). Very heavy charcoal tweed 3-piece, needle-collar shirt with collar pin, wide unlined silk tie, vintage fedora, plus pencil moustache!
I can't wait to break out my heavy flannel suits in the next winter. Very nice outfit.

steffenbp11

Reaction score
looking good Claghorn.. Here´s what I am wearig this monday:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is your jacket brown or blue? In the first pic I see it brown... second one looks blue.
eh.gif

Top combo pic only, bottom is an acknowledged fail (too close in color to jacket, but my brown flannels are at the cleaners so I just have 3 pairs of light greys now
lol8[1].gif
)

The tie is a twill print, perhaps too formal for this, but it has a gummy, chalky hand, much like madder.

I like this... I don't know why, but I will like to see this with a spread collar, not with buttons.
biggrin.gif

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is your jacket brown or blue? In the first pic I see it brown... second one looks blue.
eh.gif

I like this... I don't know why, but I will like to see this with a spread collar, not with buttons.
biggrin.gif

I just love button downs with odd jackets, and prefer spread collars with suits
smile.gif

This is not a "rule", though.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
eh.gif

biggrin.gif

Brown. The second picture is from another fitpic for the sake of the tie. I am thinking, when time allows, to take pictures of all my ties for just this purpose. I know, I know, important elements are lost...but I'm all about the tie.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just love button downs with odd jackets, and prefer spread collars with suits
smile.gif

This is not a "rule", though.

Understood. I was worrying, cause most of the time I use spread collars.
biggrin.gif

Brown. The second picture is from another fitpic for the sake of the tie. I am thinking, when time allows, to take pictures of all my ties for just this purpose. I know, I know, important elements are lost...but I'm all about the tie.

Ok then, that brown jacket is awesome! I hope that next week I have mine, I ordered one like that, but it's been a very tough work for them... hope this time they nail the fit.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kapp, no offense, but that just isn't quite working for me. I think the three patterned items are nice, but kind of fighting each other, not coordinating. And the extremely pronounced pick stitching on the lapels is something you see more on casual jackets these days, so it seems kind of incongruous.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
full fit is turrible in every way. crap lighting and angle, not even sure why im posting it.

shirt is light blue.colors best represented in second pic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics