1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Well-Known Member

Are you guys paying full retail for all of these SCs or are they the type of thing that can be found elsewhere with regularity? I only have 2 jackets, both Samuelsohn. One came from Harry Rosen outlet for $400 and the other was full retail at $1,000 and I don't think the quality is any different.

2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Nice casual combo, Bill. Also nice girlfriend, though I'm not sure she should be listed on your accessories list, or have a website as her designated manufacturer.

Just one thing: the boyfriend has to go. [​IMG]

As for needing two new SCs to "wear with denim", really, just drop that nasty denim. But I repeat myself. Get new SCs to wear with cords, autumnal flannels, even chinos. It will make you a better person.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. Pingson

Pingson Well-Known Member

No need to get worked up over me, guys :embar: . But thanks for all the thumbs and kind comments :slayer:

I had absolutely no desire to even get out of bed today, so I dressed to the teeth just to remind myself that actually have a job to do....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21 people like this.
  4. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Well-Known Member

5. Anden

Anden Well-Known Member

Guys!

I need your advice.
    Got this beautiful cashmere baby delivered to the office on Friday. I only had time to try it on for a photo. I have been looking at the photo during the weekend and my feeling is that it is too big in the shoulders for me. I took a some more photos this morning and I need your input before I decide to keep or let go. The photo quality is bad because I made them lighter for evaluation.

Andreas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Pingson

It looks to be about a size too big from what I can see in the photos. Where is the shoulder seam in relation to the end of your shoulders? If you look at my picture (posted just above yours), the shoulder seam of my jacket is right at the point where my arm meets my shoulder Have you done the classic "lean against the wall" test? Lean against a wall and the jacket should hit the wall at the same time as your shoulder does. If the jacket hits before, it's too big. It's not a conclusive test, but is usually a pretty good indicator.

7. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Hi guise, Ze B, Caustic, Henry C, DC and Betel- aswm fits. Betel that's a fantastic jacket.

ZB & EFV- beautiful cloths on yr suits IMO

Vanda 6-fold Macclesfield. Gerald n Diana's ties r very lite and the hand-rolled edges r [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

deets
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18 people like this.
  8. timotune

timotune Well-Known Member

stripes x 2

[​IMG]

20 people like this.
  9. Pingson

Great jacket Pliny! details?

10. Anden

Anden Well-Known Member

Thanks Pingson,

You confirmed it. The jacket is slightly large in the shoulders *banging head against wall*. I have been looking for a jacket like this (navy blue, cashmere, patch pockets) for ages. Well, I´ll have to keep looking...

11. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

DB coat out of Smith Woollens Blue Riband
    W Bill Cream linen trousers
    Light blue POW-style checked shirt with a dark blue over check
    6 year old RL tie

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Cheers - it's Brooks Brothers. A plaid in Saxxon wool, which they say has a superior hand to the usual stuff. Feels a little smoother i guess but I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell the difference blind.
    Like your suit today :)

Timo i think the complementing shirt and jacket patterns with a plain tie, as u have here, is often more elegant than patterned tie n square, or tie n jacket :satisfied:

1 person likes this.
  13. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Pliny,

I'm just going to pretend I don't see your socks so I can give you the thumbs you consistently deserve. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

I shouldn't play this game because it will reveal my unhealthy obsession, but suffice it to say I've got this beat like a rented mule. In my defense, I do a fair bit of selling (certainly not Spoo level, but still), so some of the collection is transient and driven by access to inventory.

Secondhand or heavily discounted, roughly 100%. And the exceptions are more likely to be accessories.

2 people like this.
  15. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Ha! I thought it was just me. That is definitely a psychological tool I use on myself. It might work even better if my suits are ever as nice as yours, but for now it's still not a bad tactic.

Alas, as Professor Pingson said above, it's just too big. And if there's anyone you want to hold up as a model of consistent excellence in this thread, it's him! The jacket is a touch long, sleeves especially, which are also too wide. As you said, the shoulders are a bit too wide although that can be a style choice, but as it's too big around the chest and too deep in the shoulder too, it makes them look sloppy rather than extended.

Which is a pity - it's nice. But don't bother trying to fix this one with tailoring - it's not worth it and won't be what you want. Keep on shopping around, you'll find a better fit I'm sure, until you go order that MTM jacket you know you want, and finally enter the dark side of bespoke!

Pliny, I have seen your socks and you do indeed deserve the thumb. Keep on rocking them. :)

16. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

I've been drifting along, happily believing that my socks r no different to anyone else's- and even smugly thinking, if i'm really honest, that my socks are 'in good taste' :embar:

1 person likes this.
  17. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

A lot of great fits all round lately, but this is the best I've seen in months.

2 people like this.
  18. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

I have 4 year round sport coats, plus 2 tweeds that I rotate in during colder months, and a cotton SC that is for casual nights out.
    I have 7 suits in the current rotation. I have my eye on one or two more.
    I wear a suit Mon-Thurs and jacket sans tie on Fri.

1 person likes this.
  19. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

I wil cause I really need them. [​IMG]

Yeap. 31.5" from BOC is the best lenght. This one is 32". [​IMG]

Thank you!

Thank you very much.

20. Anden

Anden Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.