1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Btw, I know exactly how awesome polar fleece and gortex is. I lived in Alaska for 5 years. lol

2. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Only joshin CM. but you'd be amazed how many people I know back home in England go looking for a 'decent winter coat' and splash out ridiculous piles of cash for what look like overpriced cagoules to me. Maybe the SW&D people are more into this but it baffles me the amount of money some people are happy to put down for extruded nylon!

3. Caustic Man

I know. I red back my first comment and was like "Man, that sounds like I'm upset." lol Sorry brah.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I've had it tailored already, you can really see it when I'm not wearing the jacket.

5. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Monkeyface, I REALLY like this.

1 person likes this.
  6. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

Last day in the 14 day working-challenge ends with this 3-pieces suit from Kiton

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    13 people like this.
  7. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Got to say, I've really enjoyed some of the fits you've shown us over the past fortnight (not so much today's, but on average, they've been really good). I used to give little challenges to myself back when I used to do runs of night shifts, to alleviate the tedium, so I can relate to that aspect too.

Regarding the brief discussion upthread about the alleged impropriety of wearing tweed in the evening: I have to say this forum generates really odd ideas sometimes. Sure, if you're going to a fairly formal restaurant in a big city, then it's not the best choice. But there are many restaurants (including some very respected ones, even if we use the crude sledgehammer of the Michelin guide to judge these things) where it would not only be be entirely appropriate, but more appropriate to the setting than an evening out type of suit. They just happen not to be located in big city centres, but out in the countryside or in provincial towns. Go a further step down from that level to include the large swathe of regionally or locally respected gastropub type of restaurant, and it would certainly be much more appropriate to be in tweed rather than a dark flannel suit and satin tie and the like. You'd definitely be at the smarter end of the scale, but without being overdressed versus the ambience of the place.

Going out to dinner doesn't automatically generate a single level of required formality, even within the same food quality range or (in fact, even more imprecise) price range. The exact setting and desired ambience of the restaurant matter much more.

(this is all ignoring the more fundamental point that very few people - especially men - bother to dress smartly for dinner at all, even to places that it would be nice for them to do so. As we're on SF, it's a given that we're going to care enough to do so, so the issue of dressing appropriately to the context is more relevant).

8 people like this.
  8. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I agree with Holdfast in that respect. In a more casual environment I'm sure he would be considered over dressed, based on today's standards. I guess, as always, the rules go back to dress for the occasion/venue.

9. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

FTFY, tweed hater! Well, everything depends on context of course.

What I wore to dinner last night:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13 people like this.
  10. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Nicely said, Holdfast. I just don't think it is necessary/appropriate to wear a suit every time you go to eat after the sun has gone down.

As for AAS' particular outfit, I like it, but to immediately contradict my point above, I wonder if it would it have been more "acceptable" if the color palette was darker?

Always interesting to see how everyone balances the menswear "rules" in order to dress appropriately. Good stuff.

Also, Murlsquirl - that looks great!

11. Caustic Man

This was the situation I was in. Yes, if I was going to eat some shepherds pie at an English pub, I wouldn't think twice about tweed. But I think that's one of those implied things. The problem we often run into around here is that there are general statements that are made which get taken as applying to every situation. So yeah, I mean, I wouldn't feel out of place in those situations you mentioned, but that's not the situation I think the other person who was talking about it meant. And then when someone says they wouldn't wear tweed to dinner, the context of the conversation meaning to a restaurant in the city in the evening, it is taken to mean "Don't wear tweed in the evening."

2 people like this.
  12. zeBanker

zeBanker Senior member

Been a while
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  13. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

belated happy born date, crusty!

14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This is my thought. Tweed may not be "proper", whatever that means, but it's still far, far ahead of what the vast majority of people wear to even the nicest restaurants. I'd be happy to see more people wearing a coat of any sort to dinner.

15. Caustic Man

This is interesting. Where I live, in Louisville, I often see younger and older men wearing jackets to dinner. Been spending the weekend in Nashville and NO ONE wears a jacket to dinner here. What's up DerekS? These are your people. I've been to two fine dining restaurants here and both times I've been the only one wearing a jacket.

16. Sprezziamo

Sprezziamo Senior member

[Wrong thread]

17. Caustic Man

Crappy pics from dinner last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Back from holidays (bummer) but new tie day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suit: MJ Bale
    Shirt: Kamakura
    Tie: Henry Carter maroon/navy repp
    PS: Henry Carter Irish linen
    Shoes: Carmina

15 people like this.
  19. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Thanks!

20. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Tried to find some good fitting pants OTR today. I did not succeed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.