• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I used to have a regular (ie button-through) tab collar shirt. Damn thing drove me crazy trying to do it up; maybe my dexterity is below average but half the time, I had to ask one of the girls to do it up when I got to work instead. It didn't suit my preferred tie knot anyway so I got rid of it fairly quickly. The snap/popper tab shown in the picture strikes me as a definite functional improvement on that tiny little button.

And congratulations, Derek.

thanks HF!

the snap is pretty easy. it does make the tie jut out far too much. and since its a casual shirt, i dont mind leaving it unsnapped and opened. If it were a dressy shirt, i would hate it.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to have a regular (ie button-through) tab collar shirt. Damn thing drove me crazy trying to do it up; maybe my dexterity is below average but half the time, I had to ask one of the girls to do it up when I got to work instead. It didn't suit my preferred tie knot anyway so I got rid of it fairly quickly. The snap/popper tab shown in the picture strikes me as a definite functional improvement on that tiny little button.

And congratulations, Derek.

I've had all three versions of tab collars in my day - fastened with a brass collar stud (two button holes through the collar band, two loops on the collar), button tab, and snap tab. The collar stud version was easy to put on, but made for a very short collar. Button tabs are more fiddly, but with thinner ties and/or adjustment of the tie knot, I am able to make these work. Snap tab collars are the easiest ones to put on/take off, but, if one gets one's shirts professionally laundered, the snaps can get crushed in the industrial-strength shirt presses. With any method, you take your chances.

And yes, let me also congratulate Derek on incipient fatherhood, and I'll assume that a DNA test will not be necessary (Irate, you're a bad, bad man . :D. . )

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HF, are you a bespoke client these days?

Yeah, but as a small-timer only. It's not a recent thing, mind you. I've been gradually adding an item or two most years for about 7-8 years, after losing a ton of weight initially back in 2004 and more slowly over the year or two after that; I had already ordered my first bespoke suit before joining SF, for example, if the join date listed on my profile is accurate. I'm in no particular rush, so just replace older stuff as and when I feel it's time for a change/upgrade, and as you know I've bought RTW/MTM stuff concurrently with that process too. From memory, you could count my total number of bespoke jackets/suits on your fingers. But you could definitely say that the balance of my purchases has tilted more towards bespoke for suits and jackets in the past couple of years. But I still find MTM odd trousers perfectly acceptable, for example, and RTW too, from some brands. Shirts are pretty much all bespoke these days though, barring some casual ones. I don't think I'll ever dive into bespoke shoes. Ties, maybe one day, as the cost difference is pretty negligible. But I already have lots of ties, and like them, so don't feel any need to throw them out, even if they aren't generally to SF's tastes.

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

u5adumyj.jpg

bezupe9y.jpg
Sid mash burn shirt?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

ianGP

Reaction score

RLPL
Gucci (light blue)
Barba
TF
Magnanni

Dewi

Reaction score

i beg the powers that be to send me a boy. However, judging on my past, im sure I'll get a girl.

My recent arrival is a girl. When do you find out?

Congratulations again.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
thanks crusty.

He couldnt get Feodor Vassilyev* preggers.

Isn't that a man's name? Derek, you might be doing this all wrong if you want a baby....

Congrats, Dewi!*

(*joke about Acrid Sheep deleted)

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Fajarda, Puerto Rico.

Nice Sheepster. I spent a few nights at the Fajardo Inn and went scuba diving with Captain Curt who has his dive shop nearby. Great bloke! He also put me in touch with Puerto Rico Dive Shop and the lads there were excellent too. Had a few days diving around Viecques before heading over to El Conquistador for a conference. Golden days!

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Knock it off with the glasses thing will ya? You are better than that!

iirc, he has stated before, that its a practical application, not a style point. he uses the glasses and finds the breast pocket a convenient place to store them, and ime, it is.

great look ianGP, very smooth.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Congrats, Derek!

thanks mang!

My recent arrival is a girl. When do you find out?

Congratulations again.

congrats D. just wait till she's old enough to date. Buy some guns. make sure guys like me stay far away.

We find out march 26th what its gonna be. REALLY excited.

Isn't that a man's name?  Derek, you might be doing this all wrong if you want a baby....

Congrats, Dewi!*

(*joke about Acrid Sheep deleted)

****, how exactly are babys made? you have to pee on the girl right?

please re-insert joak about Acrid. :nodding:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads