1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

I agree on all notes, especially the square comment. Overall, great fit and styling!

2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Holdfast, remind me to employ you as ghostwriter for my snappy put-downs next time a fit of mine gets caned on this threak. [​IMG]

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thanks! Its a Regency. No big shakes, but it takes my daily abuse, keeps the water out, keeps time/date accurately, fit my wrist out of the box and, best of all, was under $30 secondhand.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  4. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

shoes look great! THAT is how a pair of laceups is supposed to fit/ look when laced. nice.

1 person likes this.
  5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

6. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  7. mimo

mimo Senior member

You are not being unreasonable.

But...this...all of this. Especially the shoes!

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wear a tie whenever I feel like it (often), including to a movie. I don't really notice I'm wearing a tie unless for some reason I'm looking down sharply. In a movie, my head is generally tilted up a bit (or at least straight forward).

Situational awareness is important if you care about that sort of thing--and there are a number of reasons to care about that sort of thing. But if you understand those reasons and still don't care, then there isn't anything wrong with that. The only times I'm really going to pay attention to the relationship between a social/professional situation and what I'm wearing are either events specifically focused on a single person (so I'll not be wearing an interesting tie or interesting suit to a friend's upcoming wedding) or situations where immediate perception is important (I wouldn't wear a windowpane suit to an job interview and I'd keep the double breasted jacket in the closet for the first few months). Outside of that, I don't really see any point of dressing within a standard deviation of whatever social/sartorial norm. I'm not looking to be noticed, nor am I looking to be ignored. Clothing is a hobby to me and not in any way a means to an end.

NYR/NYI mentioned once that his fellow teachers think he's a bit nuts, especially when they overhear him on the phone haggling over Aldens (I think that was the example he gave; I apologize if I'm misremembering). He's aware of his situation and deliberately disregards it, not to be contrarian, but because it would provide little benefit and interfere with his doing what he wants to do.

This is very true for me, and I suspect it's true for mimo. Really any expatriates.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    7 people like this.
  9. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

I couldn't agree more on the cut of the jacket - very different from my F&H jacket. l like the slightly longer length of this jacket and the roped shoulders are slowly growing on me. I'm tall with fairly slender shoulders (AKA not very muscular :D) so I think the roped shoulders help with alleviating height/width ratio to some extent. As for the square, I was actually contemplating a cream silk square, but was slightly intimidated by what would have been a total lack of patterns in the fit, so I chickened out and went for a paisley square instead....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  10. mimo

mimo Senior member

Nice post, Claggy.

I think wherever you live these days, being into classic men's style, with whatever personal twist or flavour you might prefer, is going to make you stand out a little. Some people will look at you with admiration, some people will wonder why you're dressed like their grandad. Your point about being an expatriate is also interesting. I don't know what business dress is like in Korea, but I know from other Asian countries like Malaysia and Taiwan, that classic business dress is far from standard: it seems that a short sleeved shirt with or without a tie is very popular. Either way, I'm sure you're the only guy in a tweed windowpane suit.

Where I live, local people wear national dress to work. Foreigners, mostly from the Indian sub-continent, usually wear a shirt with long or short sleeves, sometimes a tie, and all manner of horrors besides: snow-washed jeans, supermarket polyester trousers, and worst of all, sandals. Nasty, plastic sandals. Or moulded slip-on shoes with either square toes or preposterous long pointy ones. Even European expatriates seem to default to short sleeves and trousers in most cases. And then there's me. Wearing a three piece suit and spectator shoes.

Even if I were back in my home town in England wearing understated flannel goodness and an austerity brogue, it would be a statement of sorts. And I think it is. It would be an exaggeration to say that we "dress to be noticed", and you're also right that we don't dress to be ignored. But I think we do dress to say something. To feel something about ourselves, and express something consistent with our tastes and self-image. I know that some people look at me and think (or even say out loud) that it's bizarre to go to such trouble, especially in this very hot climate when I'd be more comfortable in baggy cotton trousers and a polo shirt. I also know that my woman loves to see me dressed up in detail. So do people I work with/for. Most of all, I like to go out knowing I've put myself together of a morning. It feels good.

And whether they like it, even understand it, or not, I do find that when people who don't know me talk to me, there's an assumption that I'm a serious individual. Right or wrong, you get treated better in in a suit and tie - as long as you look totally relaxed in it. If you're cinema-comfortable in your suit, tie, PS and decent shoes, you look and feel like a bad muthafucka. At least that's how it feels to me.

7 people like this.
  11. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

rite on Mimo-

Hi guise, thank you for the recent likes [​IMG]

some ole faithfuls
    BBSC
    Kamakura BD
    Panta tie
    Rubinacci PS
    Vass Norwegers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deets\

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  12. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I don't get why everyone seems to think that wearing a tie is so uncomfortable. Unless your shirts are too small, you shouldn't even notice that you're wearing one. I'm already so used to wearing a tie at my relatively young age, that I cannot imagine even complaining about the comfort of ties in 20 years in time. I see so many people who take off their tie straight away after work, like it has been a noose around their neck all day long, constricting their ability to breathe. Perhaps something changes in the physiology of men's necks when they hit 40...

5 people like this.
  13. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

To Monkeyface's comment, male vanity being what it is, when men age, and gain weight, they do not necessarily note that it will adversely affect their shirt size, and, in many cases, will not buy shirts in a larger size until absolutely necessary, and in the interim, will complain about the "noose" around their necks. Either that, or they closely associate wearing a tie with working, and they loathe their jobs, thus loathing the wearing of a tie.

The weather in NYC has cooled and cleared, and I believe that today's attire will find more favor with you all than yesterday's - certainly it does with me, at least.

Suit - New & Lingwood
    Shirt & tie - BB
    Cufflinks - Vancouver Art Gallery
    Braces - Lewin
    Shoes - Finsbury, Paris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I had considered the second reason, but hadn't even thought of the first one! I've heard the male neck increases in circumference with age, but I would just use that as an opportunity to go shirt shopping.

Anyway, I like today's outfit. It's a very good use of a solid blue tie. In 90% of the cases I'd prefer a grenadine, but with this suit and shirt your tie works very well!

15. mimo

mimo Senior member

Very astute observation - wearing trousers and shirts "because that's always been my size" that are too small, seems to be very common. I'm sure I've done it myself at some point, although I have a range of sizes in my wardrobe having gained a lot over the last few years. I'm currently moving in the other direction - wondering what old friends are stored away somewhere to be rediscovered!

16. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

This. Dubai.

17. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Today is far from SF approved - grey SC and navy trousers. The trousers are needlecords in a lovely deep navy colour that don't photograph very well, which is pity. The cold and muggy weather also necessitated an extra cardigan under the jacket - it seems the housing operations at our university haven't located the "On" button for the central heating yet....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  18. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Pliny, great SC pattern. Love it!

19. mimo

mimo Senior member

Pingson, on the contrary, I would say that is the definition of how to wear navy trousers. Delightful as usual.

20. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I've never understood the CM fear of navy trousers. I would guess it comes from the idea that the top half always be darker than the bottom half in odd jacket fits, but that's very much a safety rule for beginners.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.