1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thanks for the thumbs last week. Drew things back a bit today -- cold(er), wind and rain. [​IMG] (Trousers could, indeed, use a slight slimming.)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn Turnbull Turnbull Dunno PRL braces Panthy Florsheim Royal Imperials.

12 people like this.
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Great color combos ^^^

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

I feel exactly the same way - picked up some really cheap suede and it makes me happy not to worry too much about them. Also, I find Herring to be great guys to deal with, I've had a few pairs from them over the last couple of years.

How do you find the fit on the AS? I only have one pair and I don't really know much about the lasts - mine are only just wide enough in the toe, yet surprisingly broad in the heel in comparison. Near enough for the price I paid, but I'd be interested to know how yours compare to others you have.

I really like that, Don. The clean, sharp, simple jacket is flattering I think, and the trousers are a great fit and style for you. The whole thing really works - nice tie and the shoes are the perfect accompaniment I think.

I went to the movies tonight and saw "Rush". It was pretty good. I wore a suit throughout, felt no need to loosen my tie even while fully reclined in my comfy seat and sipping my milkshake. I did remove my jacket for most of the actual movie, but was sure to put it on as soon as the lights started coming up again. Is this wrong?

Heck yes. Took the words right out of my keyboard. There is nothing brings an overall appearance down faster than nasty shoes, in my book. Or a novelty tie. But I think the fact that both rank together says enough.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Well, yes, but also dinner.

Beautiful tie, GMMcL.

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I suppose if you're coming from the office it makes more sense, but the idea of wearing a coat and tie to a movie strikes me as a bit odd and decidedly anachronistic.

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

OK, I hadn't actually been home after work, so you're right. But I do think it's nice to wear a jacket and tie just for its own sake sometimes. I mean, we're all regency revivalists really, aren't we?

I think if anachronisms offend you, you might be preaching in the wrong church. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

This is a fantastic response and very astute--only from a psychiatrist (which you are, if I remember correctly [sic]), natch! Thing is, I reckon you could make it look more modern by maybe a black knit tie or the like (maybe, a brown knit tie and brown, suede chukkas--depending on whether the stripes are pink or purple). I'm not entirely sure what I would use; it may be one of those times you need to see it to know, but it is a great suit, and I would wear that shit always! [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Situational awareness and a realistic approach is something I have long espoused on these fora. However, given the usual attempts in MC Casual, it seems to be a losing proposition. And while I agree a tie and coat are nice from time to time, it still strikes me as odd that you would choose to wear formal attire to a dark theater made for relaxing. But whatever makes you happy, I suppose.

1 person likes this.
  9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Personally, I think I would find it uncomfortable to wear a tie at a movie. Tho I never tried, so I can't say for sure.

10. Cotton Dockers

If it was just a movie, I almost certainly would have eschewed the tie. But, for various reasons, I like to wear a tie when dining out with the Wifey, despite living in a city where wearing closed-toed shoes is akin to donning formal wear.

1 person likes this.
  11. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Thanks. It's by Faconnable. I got it on sale from Park and Bond. Remember that place?

Thanks. They're PRL from eBay.

12. Caustic Man

Fully time for tweed and corduroy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Love the birdseye suit, GMMcL. What watch are you wearing there?

14. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

I think the tie is too dark for the rest of the outfit. Sometimes you have to just stop trying on clothes and go to work though. I think navy pants world have worked better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. Cotton Dockers

Very nice. Dig the tie.

I don't think it is a problem, but rather than change the tie maybe try a square that is darker than the shirt but lighter than the tie? Just a thought.

1 person likes this.
  16. Caustic Man

Thanks mang. I've learned to love knits.

17. Cotton Dockers

18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

19. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior member

Great piece! It's really interesting how different the cut is from your Fallan and Harvey's odd jacket. The shoulders are stronger (wider, more roped and extended), the chest seems to be cleaner, the coat is a bit longer, the buttoning point is lower, the lapels thinner. It's an interesting cut and I think that you wore it well. I think that a cream square, not necessarily a solid, would make this fit even better for me.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.