• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's nice to have a job where I can wear what the heck I want :D. I find myself favouring odd jackets these days. Took a flyer on the PS - not sure if it worked but I wanted something different today.....

Also noticed I need to get rid of the belt loops on these trousers. I rarely wear a belt anymore, braces are so much more comfortable.

SC: Bookster, Gladstone tweed
shirt: CT
tie: Vanda fine clothing
ps: Malford of London
trousers: austin reed
shoes: EG

This is quite nice. I suppose my only criticisms would be:

1. The belt loops + bracers, but this has already been mentioned
  2. The pocket square is not my favorite. Perhaps a dark navy may have worked better? Or just plain cream.
  3. The tie pattern is a bit formal for that SC

FillW

Reaction score
Fuaaaaark! This is really really good, IMO.

Yeah, I think the outfit looks pretty sharp.
i was hoping you would notice.
smile.gif

HF - thanks for the feedback, i need to mull that over. i dont want to just blurt something out without putting thought into it. not sure why i feel that way all of a sudden. not my general MO.

I think he just gave you his thoughts on what might look better with it. Pretty civil actually.
An occasional deliberately leery look can be a fun; I like this one in that spirit.

Overall though, I actually prefer your more recent fit. Good way to use that jacket.

Source of the bowtie please? It has a nice width & shape to it.

I think both the fit and the colours are difficult in this look. The trousers look too snug (even for a slim look) & the jacket looks tight. Also, they're a similar colour, which makes them difficult to pair together despite the jacket's pattern. The tie would be fine with the jacket, if the trousers were darker, I think. As it is, it's too dark.

Much too much green, and not a particularly pleasing green at that. Different (complementary rather than matching) shirt & tie next time you wear this outfit, would be my advice.
Darker trousers needed here, to contrast more in tone/brightness (not sure of exact correct word) vs the jacket, IMO. Different colour alone isn't enough here. Along the same lines, the tie may be a different colour, but again it's the same sort of tone so the different colour comes across as confusing rather than complementary. Imagine this look with a dark forest green tie and really dark (or I suppose, very pale) trousers (or even dark denim) and I think it would pull together much better.

Imagine desaturating the image of all colour and turning into a black & white image. I don't know for certain but I bet that all the colours will appear quite similar. That's a very tricky look to pull off once the varying colours are restored (unless they're all the same colour eg. navy suit & tie with white or pale blue shirt, for an extreme example).

tl;dr version: needs more contrast (or fewer colours).

Cool. Would love it even more with flap or slanted pockets, but great anyway.

RJE - thx for the useful feedback; your recent fit is very good.

Slightly darker tie would have worked better today, but oh well...

g8FhG1R.jpg

Looks good, Holdfast - I like to keep my hair shorter too. Easier to comb and dries faster.

PS: Where's SpooPoker? We need to see what he's wearing right now!
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a perfectly unhelpful comment.

It is nice on pictures, but this is too trendy for me, it clashed with the 'classic 3 piece' image.
Often it is not the precise details of the outfit, but the overall image that it gives. The style of the suit sits right in the middle between classic and fashion, so it's too dressy for semi causal and too innovative for business. I personally prefer things having its own clear identity.

In summary, the outfit looks excellent, but the suit does not have a soul. It looks awkward.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first of all, thank you all for your replies, i think it made for a good conversation about critiquing, and the goals thereof. i feel i should reply to all of you, but it would take up too much of the thread, and i think you all made valid points.

to reiterate, because apparently i was not clear to all, i had no issue with HFs critique of my fit, or anyone elses. i do not mind advice, i welcome it. i was merely pointing out a small peeve i occasionally find with the tone of the thread, not towards me in specific, but in general. if the conversation makes even one person opt for a more gentlemanly tone, it was worth it.

Stitchy, when I critique something, I assume sometimes the optimal choices are not possible due to a limited wardrobe - heck, it happens to me often. The critique is not meant to say "you should have picked different stuff from your closet", but rather "this is the direction you should head in, so you know what to buy next". The advice is aimed at helping to build a versatile, interchangeable wardrobe. If you happen to have the "required" items already, then perfect! But if not, it's fine, just keep the suggestions in mind :)

Take what I said about your blue shirts as an example - I said you need lighter shirts, but that doesn't mean you should go and bleach your current shirts - wear them with pride, they look great and much better than 99% of what you see on the streets. But I'm sure next time you are in the market for a blue shirt, you will look for something lighter - and that will be a great choice.

this was a particularly good point imo, and it is exactly what i think when i am suggested trying an item that i do not have. it goes on the want list.

@Anden - thanks!

wow, nice-- and with the panerai, no less! how's that new kiton jacket coming along, btw?

thanks! kiton should be ready by weeks end from the tailor. :slayer:

Last edited:

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Do people really not like the braces with belt loops that much? I only ask because I have a pair of trousers I'm thinking about getting buttons added to to accomodate braces, but I still want to keep the belt loops so I can wear it without a jacket but with a belt - the mode of wearing which is more common to me really.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do people really not like the braces with belt loops that much? I only ask because I have a pair of trousers I'm thinking about getting buttons added to to accomodate braces, but I still want to keep the belt loops so I can wear it without a jacket but with a belt - the mode of wearing which is more common to me really.

It makes it look like you forgot your belt IMO. Definitely not ideal.

Anden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overall a great look.
I love the jacket, tie and the shoes.
The PS is not for this ensemble IMO. Better to leave home with an empty chest pocket...
The tie knot is not the most beautiful if I may be really picky.

All the best

Andreas
It's nice to have a job where I can wear what the heck I want
biggrin.gif
. I find myself favouring odd jackets these days. Took a flyer on the PS - not sure if it worked but I wanted something different today.....

Also noticed I need to get rid of the belt loops on these trousers. I rarely wear a belt anymore, braces are so much more comfortable.

SC: Bookster, Gladstone tweed
shirt: CT
tie: Vanda fine clothing
ps: Malford of London
trousers: austin reed
shoes: EG

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i agree, but i still dont hate it. :)

pingson - i think the colors/textures in your fit were excellent.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Upon further reflection, I fear the pocket square takes this over the top into matchy-matchy territory.

IMG_1816.jpg

I don't think the PS is as much of an issue as the tie. I'm not a fan of it. I'm not feeling those trousers with this either. Seems to be a pretty sharp contrast with that shirt. This is a rare one from you that I am not a fan of, but the jacket is a winner in my book!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Upon further reflection, I fear the pocket square takes this over the top into matchy-matchy territory.

I hate to say it because it seems too obvious: I think you need to lose the tie. Not because it's bold in itself - I mean, it is, but I'm all for expressing yourself. It's just that the jacket has that strong windowpane, then the screaming loud diagonals of the tie...it's just a bit too much geometry for my liking. I'd say keep that PS, take the tie down a notch to a small pattern or formal-ish solid texture, and let that beautiful jacket sing. The tie can live another day with a non-patterned jacket, maybe a blazer? It's a tough tie to wear without looking too school uniform or flight attendant, but it's worth another go.

The jacket looks a touch on the slender side. I know these pics can be a bit deceiving, but given how wide the gap is between the skirts as well as the creasing to the button, it does look like that might be the case.

Your trousers look perfect, and I love your shoes too.

(Edit: simultaneous post with Caustic - great minds...!)

(Second edit: now that CM has mentioned the shirt - changing the shirt for a SF-standard blue could transform that, possibly even with the crazy tie, although I still think it's too much next to the windowpane)

Last edited:

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think the PS is as much of an issue as the tie. I'm not a fan of it. I'm not feeling those trousers with this either. Seems to be a pretty sharp contrast with that shirt. This is a rare one from you that I am not a fan of, but the jacket is a winner in my book!

Caustic, I'm not sure I understand the issue you have with the trousers. I've never heard contrast between shirt and trousers mentioned as relevant to anything, let alone as a problem. Can you elaborate?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hope you don't mind me pulling the image link out so I could embed it inline, David. I really dig this outfit, and felt it deserves to also be seen by those too lazy to click your original twitter link. It's also given me a couple of new ideas for outfits using the new mustardy-yellow cords I got recently. Yours are little more towards a burnt-orangey, I think? Very cool.

Thanks for doing so I couldn't quite figure out how to do it on the iphone. They are a bit burnt orange but they have a lot of yellow in there. Bright cords, moleskins and cavalry twills are great for building outfits, you don't see it much in New York.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads