• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol. yes thats a great idea.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
once in a while i pretend to be serious.
wink.gif

there is an issue i take with critiques that go, "well, it should have a different texture/color" or, "well a breast patch pocket would really is needed for that SC".... not everyone has every item in every possible color & texture, or the ability to have everything bespoke so its just so, to the last detail. often we just have to work with what we have, and what can buy OTR.

Stitchy, when I critique something, I assume sometimes the optimal choices are not possible due to a limited wardrobe - heck, it happens to me often. The critique is not meant to say "you should have picked different stuff from your closet", but rather "this is the direction you should head in, so you know what to buy next". The advice is aimed at helping to build a versatile, interchangeable wardrobe. If you happen to have the "required" items already, then perfect! But if not, it's fine, just keep the suggestions in mind
smile.gif

Take what I said about your blue shirts as an example - I said you need lighter shirts, but that doesn't mean you should go and bleach your current shirts - wear them with pride, they look great and much better than 99% of what you see on the streets. But I'm sure next time you are in the market for a blue shirt, you will look for something lighter - and that will be a great choice.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Stitchy, I think you have a point, and I think it all boils down to manners. HF is right - no point putting up pics on the internet if you're going to be upset by what some bored and lonely basement-masturbator might say about them. There are always going to be lower types who use their anonymity to vent whatever life frustrations they have, and say unpleasant things they would not dare say to a human being in real life. The best thing to do with those is laugh them off or ignore them - if you recognise such outbursts as the expressions of insecurity they are, they won't bother you so much.

But after all, this particular forum is supposed to be about gentlemanly style. It seems to me you're just calling for a more gentlemanly tone, especially when feedback is negative: naturally the first to jump in are those who already have good manners - like Dr Holdfast and Senor Diaz. Others will follow, and some will never get it at all. At the end of the day this is the internet, and people use it for all sorts of things. More manly and accomplished people treat others respectfully, even if they have something difficult to say - just as they would in real life. Others will live a fantasy of shameless rudeness for reasons that Dr HF might be better able to analyse, and never change.

It doesn't really matter. Most people are pleasant enough. The thing to remember is that those who aren't, are showing only their own social shortcomings. If someone does blurt out something deliberately offensive, it's most polite to ignore it, like if someone new accidentally farts during his first board meeting. It's not pleasant, but a gentleman with any style would just pretend he hadn't heard it, and carry on. :)

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is an issue i take with critiques that go, "well, it should have a different texture/color" or, "well a breast patch pocket would really is needed for that SC".... not everyone has every item in every possible color & texture, or the ability to have everything bespoke so its just so, to the last detail. often we just have to work with what we have, and what can buy OTR.
These kinds of critiques don't really bother me -- and I can sympathize with your objection -- but I see them as suggestions that put principles into practice. I tend to give them a fair bit, too, because I'd rather say "This would be better if the tie had more texture" than "that tie is wrong." I find that the most helpful feedback is the kind that offers a suggestion, rather than just an objection. There are times when it crosses over into things that read as a sheer lack of sympathy, but I try to be careful about that. Also, the rudest advice is also often pretty bad, so there's that.
smile.gif

Unrelated, but I don't think you're an "idiot" for not going for a solid blue shirt. Heck, it came close to working, and if I had the same items in my closet, I probably would have tried them together as well.

Last edited:

Anden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
once in a while i pretend to be serious.
wink.gif

regarding what you said, while it may be true (im not sure tbh, i think the pairing was quite nice for contrast, and the pic was darker than the fit is IRL) there is always the fact that i do not have darker brown pants at present (have a pair being made dy edmorel) and that is my only solid green tie. gotta work with what i have.

PREFACE!!! this is not aimed at you, i think you are one of the kindest critique-ers here, and are very even keeled with your praise v criticism. this is just something that is often on my mind as i read through this thread.

sorry to rant, its not a neg at you or anyone in specific, i appreciate the feedback, and its always good to hear pairing advise, but sometimes i think its stated as if the poster is to blame for not having everything at his disposal. sometimes if something is good, its good, and there should be recognition for that. and the fact that its good, is imo often overlooked by the fact that in theory it possibly could have been better. i think it takes away at times from the success that people have with their fits.

i almost feel at times people would rather hand out a negative comment than a positive one. im not saying we should all knob slobber each other. i know we are here to learn, and you cant learn if no one points out where improvement can be made.

and i know i am going to get reamed for this and no matter how many disclosures i put forth, this will read, stitch is baby and just want everyone to circle jerk all the time. but that is not what i am saying. all i am saying is, that i think sometimes the good fits people post are overlooked as people search out every possible way to say that something is wrong or lacking.

it may be a nuance, or a simple change in tone, but there is big difference imo between, "that looks really nice, and it might be ever better if you had a shirt/tie/SC/pants that was a *insert different color/texture/tone/shade*" and "this needs darker tie." one admits to subjectivity and acknowledges the positive aspects of a fit, and the other is objective and sounds purely negative.

ill probably regret writing this.
Well said!

twistoffat

Reaction score
I never worry about negative comments. As has been said if you can´t cope with the heat stay out of the kitchen. That said I notice one thing that many of the negative comments seem to have in common(whether that be bad I´ll let you decide). There are some forum members who indeed are very stylish and have a very traditional style which dominates this forum. I would probably describe it as the perfect suit with striped shirt matching tie and a pocket square. Others try to aspire to this look and have adapted theirs to fit what they see as the norm. If any of you read the thread on the "IGENT" in relation to what the norm is(pocket square colour, tie length etc etc) its becomes clear that there is or should be no norms. I have to say that personally I love seeing the pics of you guys but there is a certain element of conformity creeping in. As has been said above its ironic how one can dress as a gentleman and behave like a barbarian when dishing out criticism. I think all you guys rock in your own way but sometimes I find the nano-disection of a pocket square colour to be slightly over board.:hide:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
That said, time to open up to some abuse. Most of you are enjoying your wintery tweeds, flannels and balmoral boots (with galoshes of course) in the snow, and I have to say it looks awesome. Butit's a pleasant 27C here. So it's 8.5oz Super 130s, a summery shirt and canvas spectators for me. Maybe I'll get to roll out the tweed and Dainite once this winter if I travel, but for now this is the way.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So...just to be clear...have we tabled the possibility of a circle jerk?

As far as negative feedback for my fits go, I'm more concerned with the helpfullness of the criticism than the tone (and often take it into account when further building my wardrobe), but I'll also always be first in line to champion internet civility.

Fwiw, I imagine the consensus on the shirt only occurred because that outfit wasn't just close to great, it was close to perfect. Like if Jesus in The Last Supper had been painted with a lazy eye.

@mimo; eat a meal!

Last edited:

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, nice-- and with the panerai, no less! how's that new kiton jacket coming along, btw?

[quote content/type/61/id/685789/[/IMG]
[/quote]

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still in a grey mode, but more modern in style. The tie is new, at least.

Suit - BB GF
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Zegna
Cufflinks - Liberty of London
PS - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand
Overcoat - BB
Hat - Selentino
Scarf - Burberry

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's nice to have a job where I can wear what the heck I want :D. I find myself favouring odd jackets these days. Took a flyer on the PS - not sure if it worked but I wanted something different today.....

Also noticed I need to get rid of the belt loops on these trousers. I rarely wear a belt anymore, braces are so much more comfortable.

SC: Bookster, Gladstone tweed
shirt: CT
tie: Vanda fine clothing
ps: Malford of London
trousers: austin reed
shoes: EG

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score

That really is pleasant. I agree about the belt loops (a pet hate of mine, loops with braces), and maybe go for a warmer tone with the PS? That PS is cool, but maybe I would have gone burgundy-ish or something? Almost doesn't matter what colour, just perhaps something a bit more...rural in tone. It's a small thing though. Great shoes by the way, and I love the tie too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads