• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
first off, do it. hobers are the bomb.

i think the grenadines are 80, and its like an extra 30 for 6 fold. i not sure i would go 6 fold on the grossa though, that would be a really thick tie, would think it would certainly have to be unlined. ask david.
Would you guys recommend unlined with rolled edges on a grenadine?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Claghorn: This is my favorite of your looks -- I kind of like the (to me) slightly counterintuitive pairing of the grenadine tie and spread collar shirt with the jacket. It's a kind of cool variation on the slightly more obvious knit/OCBD combo. I think I like it because everything's so refined in texture, and because the colors are right for each other.

stitches: That jacket is really great -- a lovely cut, the kind of three-button that I really like -- and it looks great with that tie and those trousers. If you had R Diaz's or Claghorn's shirt, then you'd be knocking it out of the park.

Also, I like your socks.
smile.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i love it. it makes the tip of the tie kind of see through, and some think that is weird, but i think its awesome. and the rolled edge is :drool: DO. IT!

stitches: That jacket is really great -- a lovely cut, the kind of three-button that I really like -- and it looks great with that tie and those trousers. If you had R Diaz's or Claghorn's shirt, then you'd be knocking it out of the park.
Also, I like your socks. :)

thanks. apparently i am an idiot for not going solid blue with this. will try again next week.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! To make things weirder, the spread collared shirt is oxford cloth.

As far as folds on grenadines. The tie I'm wearing is a six fold fina (or picolla) from Panta and it's unlined. I'm waiting on an experimental tie from Hober which will be unlined picolla 4 fold. It'll be really delicate...I've got no idea how it'll drape, but it'll be interesting. Getting a second more traditional lined picolla grenadine as well.

Owen Meany

Reaction score
My favorite sport coat; not my favorite Tie....
va9yde4y.jpg
aha9utyv.jpg
geqypu4e.jpg

The shoes are Alfred Sargent Exclusive and the shirt is Eton,however the stripes are a deep navy almost black, Not as blue as they appear in the photo.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Stitchy, I agree that the shirt is oversaturated, but I'd still give you one Graybeard
2122.png
:)

I have a thinly lined, multifold, untipped grenadine and a traditionally lined, three-fold, self-tipped grenadine. I prefer the latter. Grenadines in particular do not seem to benefit from all of the iGent-treasured features.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sometimes the iPhone takes a wonderful picture. Today, however, not so much. Suit is olive, and hank does not glow in the dark...

LilacCords

Reaction score
DC41CDDF-12D9-4A98-A4DF-D1A383AE73B4-937-0000005DFC8BEC41_zps017fe0d1.jpg

3 piece POW, 7 fold Navy Twill tie, T&A PS, Black Wholecut shoes.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LilacCords--this is very nice. My only criticism would be the mixing of modes here--more casual three-patch coat, but then adding a vest.

Otherwise, this is quite nice.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitchy, I agree that the shirt is oversaturated, but I'd still give you one Graybeard
2122.png

thanks, shugz. although i agree with errone that solid blue would be better, id be lying if i said i dont think it looks good as is.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My "**** you red" tie, worn in part for Monday and in part because I haven't been wearing Thomas Pink much since joining SF.

An occasional deliberately leery look can be a fun; I like this one in that spirit.

Overall though, I actually prefer your more recent fit. Good way to use that jacket.

Source of the bowtie please? It has a nice width & shape to it.

Not sure about the tie. Should I go tieless today?

I think both the fit and the colours are difficult in this look. The trousers look too snug (even for a slim look) & the jacket looks tight. Also, they're a similar colour, which makes them difficult to pair together despite the jacket's pattern. The tie would be fine with the jacket, if the trousers were darker, I think. As it is, it's too dark.

critiques welcomed...
Much too much green, and not a particularly pleasing green at that. Different (complementary rather than matching) shirt & tie next time you wear this outfit, would be my advice.
Darker trousers needed here, to contrast more in tone/brightness (not sure of exact correct word) vs the jacket, IMO. Different colour alone isn't enough here. Along the same lines, the tie may be a different colour, but again it's the same sort of tone so the different colour comes across as confusing rather than complementary. Imagine this look with a dark forest green tie and really dark (or I suppose, very pale) trousers (or even dark denim) and I think it would pull together much better.

Imagine desaturating the image of all colour and turning into a black & white image. I don't know for certain but I bet that all the colours will appear quite similar. That's a very tricky look to pull off once the varying colours are restored (unless they're all the same colour eg. navy suit & tie with white or pale blue shirt, for an extreme example).

tl;dr version: needs more contrast (or fewer colours).

Cool. Would love it even more with flap or slanted pockets, but great anyway.

RJE - thx for the useful feedback; your recent fit is very good.

Slightly darker tie would have worked better today, but oh well...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads