1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westpointkappa

Westpointkappa Well-Known Member

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Kappelan, please don't start doing this #menswear thing again... You've got some great clothes, but this is two completely different halves that just clash in a bad way. The cargo pants really do not go with the rest, and not just because they are cargo pants, because of the fabric too. Someone once asked me why I wanted to ruin an outfit by wearing hobo pants - and those were just moleskins. Those cargos are worse and just do not work with a smart jacket and tie. You might possibly get away with a rougher-textured jacker and a knit tie, but even then... no.

3. conradwu

conradwu Senior member

Cargo pants are a #menswear thing now? Just when I thought camo was starting to die out...

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member

I don't think what Kap does is #menswear. It's just him. He also occasionally wears orange running shoes with blazers and ties. #menswear, like other crimes, is in a large part about intent.

1 person likes this.
  5. FlyingMonkey

It really isn't just him, it's the kind of thing you see on blogs all over the place: it's a kind of cliché of edginess. And it's only partly about intent and partly about outcome: see the debate about Leftofthedial's trousers recently, where you'll finding me making exactly the point you've just made but in that case, the outcome was a successful example of what it was trying to achieve, whereas this isn't, as I have noted, not just because they are cargos - conceivably cargos could work in this context - but because of the difference in the quality of the materials and textures between the top and bottom halves. This is nothing personal against Kappelan - he seems like a great guy and I like a lot of the things he does, just not all (the New Balances were also one of those things, another #menswear blogger's standby...).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member

Ah, it might just be that I'm pretty out of touch with online menswear. Don't follow any tumblers or blogs; didn't realize running shoes and blazers were also a thing (only knew about camo cuz of a pic people keep reposting here).

I meant that Kap was just being Kap; he wasn't following any #menswear trends. I wasn't speaking to the aesthetic execution.

1 person likes this.
  7. mimo

mimo Senior member

[​IMG]

8. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28 people like this.
  9. TTO

TTO Senior member

[​IMG]
    -TTO

37 people like this.
  10. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Just another Wednesday in NYC, though rumored to be perfect weather-wise - temp's in the low 70's F and sunny.

Suit & braces - Paul Stuart
    Shirt - Tyrwhitt
    Tie - BB
    Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
    Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  11. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

RDiaz, your pieces all look great, colors are complementary, the fit is slim but not tight, and the fabrics are wonderfully autumnal, but more importantly: it looks as though you threw it all together at the last minute.

Newbs take note.

1 person likes this.
  12. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Thanks UC, much appreciated!

It was threwn together at the last minute [​IMG]

13. MTB-85

MTB-85 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BERG & BERG cotton bow tie and silk pocket square.
    Red Herring suede shoes
    Matinique oxford shirt
    blazer from Selected

Have a good day gentlemen

2 people like this.
  14. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

funny...i thought the exact same thing when i saw that fit you posted in SW&D in the mens skirt. no hate.

15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

TTO - such rich colours in that suit - love it.

16. FlyingMonkey

Ha. Well, you can think that, but 1. not a skirt, they were a kind of trouser; and 2. I'm in Japan and while uncommon, things like that are not completely weird here and draw on traditional patterns; 3. light hakama pants and other types of loose pants like that are amongst a very limited range of clothing you can wear if you want to be comfortable in 35+ degrees C and 70%+ humidity as it has been in Tokyo this summer - I've also worn a yukata quite regularly (I guess that would be a dress to you...) - and I wore neither in a work environment; and 4. I wasn't posting in CM because they wouldn't belong here and I am making no claims that they do. If I'd posted them here with a jacket and tie, you'd have a valid point - context is quite important.

I've already said that I got the same kind of response to wearing too casual moleskins with a smarter jacket - a fit I did actually post here - and those responses were right. And that's why I made the point I did to Kappelan. I apologise (to Kappelan) if it came across as too strong or rude, that really wasn't my intention.

17. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

Im glad theyre comfortable and keep you cool in the hot weather :)

18. mimo

mimo Senior member

And I apologise for calling your moleskins "hobo pants". But I have to agree that for me, cargos and a jacket are beyond the pale. Derek is a former offender in this regard too, although shockingly tasteful of late I've noticed.

I love your mad windowpanes by the way. The tie frightens me, but I'm sure you carry it right.

19. FlyingMonkey

No, you were right. They were old workwear-influenced trousers. I tried to get away with them, and you spotted the fact that they didn't work. I'll certainly still wear them with other things but never again like that.

Air circulation... enough said. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  20. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.