1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

That is the main (though not the only) point of rise measurement - to define where on your waist they're going to sit. Ideally, the amount of sag should be the same on all trousers (as much as you prefer for comfort), and if you like them to sit on the same point of your waist they should always have the same rise. I tolerate a wide range of "waist positions", but if a RTW pair has too high of a rise even for me, I just won't buy it, rather than have it sag, which I think looks sloppy. Once you have found your perfect measurements, both inseam and outseam should stay fixed. Outseam/inseam balance is also useful to correct for bow leggedness or knock knees...

BTW, I'm not implying you have this problem on your last fit - I think a lower button stance on the jacket would help more than less sagging on the trousers, but that's a different issue.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Westpointkappa

Westpointkappa Well-Known Member

In Stitches your ensembles are great! I like these pieces. They are very clean with a touch of pizzaz (I know I spelled that wrong as hell).

3. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Hey, ******* sir. Spoiler your posts if they're like that.

4. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Dude, you couldn't collapse these pictures for goth's sake?!

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

indeed. my preferred rise has about a 1 inch variance, so technically, my inseam is also pretty fixed. but since i do buy ready to wear, in reality my rise might vary by up to an inch and a half or so. because of that, and because i always wear my pants on the same point of my waist, i use the outseam when i have my tailor do my pants.

i understand i am in the minority on this one, and that most people do not treat rise/inseam/outseam the way i do.

thanks you kindly!

relax jester, he is trying. :)

6. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

At least he nicely summarized today's posts for me [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. southernstyle

southernstyle Senior member

What it stinks of if anything, is that I see and wearing clothing differently than you. We're posting in a thread in which everyone is wearing custom clothing, which they picked out themselves or assisted in picking out. Everyone here "tries" to a certain extent. As a matter of fact each morning I wake up and have one less step to get ready than yourself, so wouldn't that mean you try harder than me?

I think its funny that everyone gets riled up that I don't wear socks, yet no one gives DerekS crap for wearing tacky lapel pins representing companies he doesn't work for. Should he not just keep the label on his sleeve? I knew I was going to be criticized for no socks but thought everyone would have been used to it by now. :(

Just my .02 cents :foo:

1 person likes this.
  8. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I don't wear socks with loafers and chinos. Or rather, I wear the invisible socks. But, that's a casual setting.

Those shoes and the lack of socks, with that, is kind of an abomination. Which is a shame since the rest of the fit is so good. But you might as well wear an orange polka dot tie and call it, "your thing" as well. It makes just as much sense, man.

Derek may wear lapel pins (I haven't seen any) but his fits are true to the theme from what I can tell. Not this, evening party/slumber party thing I see.

In all fairness, if the pants were cut lower on the first fit - I would like it with no socks just fine.

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Y'all need to leave SS alone. Whatever you think about his hem length and hosiery, the point has been made ad nauseum, and he shows no signs of changing his mind.

I'll say this about SS, though: He has style, and he's demonstrated that he doesn't take himself or his clothes too seriously. I'd have a drink with him.

But that was a cheap shot at DerekS, SS. Besides, Canta gave him the business about the Isaia pin yesterday, so it's not like it went unnoticed.

4 people like this.
  10. sugarbutch

Been awhile since I demonstrated the patented SB Over/Under[​IMG] technique...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i get shit for nearly everything. Cargos, big peaks, plaid suits, lapel pins, loud pocket squares. But you know, when youre as goddamn handsome as me, you can do what the fuck you want. Keep trying though buddy.

and nobody is riled up about your socks...theyre just telling you that you look stupid in a nice way.

5 people like this.
  12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i enjoyed these posts, and i agree with them.

SS - you should know full well by now that much of your style is not the SF norm, and you should expect some barbs. im not saying change your dress, rock it like you want it. just be prepared for the SF majority to bump heads with ya. people who are civil, engage in discourse, people who are not, just ignore.

derk - matt bomer called, he wants your number.

13. McBindle

McBindle Well-Known Member

Here is today's fit. Deeper colors. I think the shoes and tie are pretty bold but not too matchy matchy I hope. Those collar points need to be longer. Pants could probably be .25" longer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For comparison in color depth, fit, and jacket proportions here is a similar fit from last week:
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

*writes number on Derek's hands*

call me

15. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

I don't think there is anything bold about the tie or the shoes. They look nice though. I think the jacket fits well, but the sleeves could be a little longer.

16. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior member

The rise do not affect the inseam, as our trousers should not sag or be too tight in the crotch, so always be worn in the "same" spot. So, as you buy rtw trousers, the rise may change from trouser to trouser, reflecting on the out seam thus you should specify your favored inseam to your tailor and not the out seam, as the inseam is a more precise measurement.
    This is a technical matter, so I am not sure if you could explain it successfully, but that is how I approach the subject based on tailor's explanations.

17. tactical1

tactical1 Senior member

Guests at a wedding should play the part of guests, which is to say uphold the standard set by the invitation and the event.

Sockless black tie, even at your sister's wedding, is a no go at this station.

That is all.

18. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

You had me at hello T.

19. sugarbutch

Derek, the baby looks to be cute as a button. Welcome to the club.
    NEEDS MOAR CUFF.
    Stitchy knows all that (as he explained). He's willing tolerate a bit of variance in pants-to-taint distance but apparently unwilling to tolerate variance in where the pants sit on his waist.
    You know SS's sister? It's a shame that they're not close enough for her to tell him how she really felt about his socklessness. But she has you to pass along the message, so I guess that's alright.

1 person likes this.
  20. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Great, great fit. Not sure whether the similar weaves of shirt and jacket (and to some extent, tie) are against The Rules, but I personally really like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.