1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Braddock

Braddock Senior member

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  2. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

It is a Half Windsor

1 person likes this.
  3. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Senior member

A lil' brown and blue for ya'. I thought of wearing a brown striped shirt but settled on this ecru one instead.

Suit: Cerrutti 1881
    Tie: vintage Resilio
    Shoes: Frattelli Rossetti punched cap toe
    Watch: Vintage Hamilton

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    4 people like this.
  4. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Wider lapels and tie would suit you well.

Looks good other than that.

5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Braddock- stop making it look so effortless...it's quite irritating. I'm lucky if I look that good once a month and you seem to do it daily.

Ebonyman- that's how it's done, sir.

1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

eazye - looks nice. suit or SC?

thank you kindly. SC is isaia. 100% wool. crepe kind if weave. got it from B&B, and i think the MOP buttons are the originals owners addition, not what the jacket came with. im happy he made the switch.

you guys are nuts, the half windsor is a wonderful knot.

3 people like this.
  7. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

The fit of the jacket is excellent. +1 for wider lapels. Your tie is commensurate with your current lapels, but I'd also recommend a wider tie. In the first two photos the tie knot looks rather small. I think a wider tie would look better given your broad, sloping shoulders and better fill out the spread collar.

8. McBindle

McBindle Well-Known Member

Yesterday's fit. Round two with the wide lapels. The waist suppression hasn't been done yet.
    This is Firm BBQ Conservative Business Dress so no p-square.
    My watch was playing a game with the left sleeve.
    A new hopsack is on the way for a little variation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  9. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

you're probably the only person I know that wears a half windsor without looking like a salesman or some random wedding dude

10. in stitches

:inlove:

1 person likes this.
  11. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Senior member

Thanks for the replies fellas'. I typically wear wider (3.5") ties but the lapels on this suit are more slender and call for a less wide tie to keep the correct proportions.

I absolutely agree that my big head and wide shoulders look better with wider lapels/ties.:nodding: I loved the drape and color of this suit so I bought it anyway and decided to buy a few accessories that work with it. Perhaps a short, pointed collar shirt would have been better with the slim tie?

12. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

You need to go half Windsor; four in hand looks like a bolo on the red. I like the red tie though.

13. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

No, he just needs to use a wider part of the tie for the knot. If he's got enough length for a half Windsor, he's got enough for that as well.

14. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

There's no reason for a half windsor unless you're Stitch and refuse to budge on it.

Try a DFIH. Or one of those.. Reverse DFIH that have come to be my favorites (no, not a standard FIH... you start with the tie facing the wrong way, and the wide blade behind the thin blade, then wrap 1.5x, then thread like a regular DFIH; same moves and looks, not as much bulk).

http://patrickjohnsontailors.tumblr...double-reverse-four-in-hand-using-a-p-johnson

15. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Someone tell THIS dude that Windsors are awful:

[​IMG]

So interesting that on last night's new episode they did a flashback ten years in the past where Harvey was less-experienced and successful and was still using four-in-hands. They have a really smart wardrobe designer on that show.

PS He has Donna as his secretary and you don't.

16. in stitches

why budge? i think its a great knot, and i think my knots look splendid.

love that show. i believe that TF does all the clothing for harvey. i like most of it, but not all, and i dont particularly love his knots. but he is BOSS. great character.

2 people like this.
  17. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wish someone would tell him. However, he wears Tom Ford, which means large lapels and large pockets, so there is at least some balance. I feel he'd look better with a half-windsor rather than full--he looks a bit comical with a full.

What impresses me is the tailoring generally done on his shorter balding rival. I've only seen a few episodes, but generally his suits are cut very well (a much greater challenge than tailoring for the main character given their respective body shapes). He also wears a full windsor. And it also looks silly.

Bond also trumps Suits
    Bond mistrusted anyone who tied his tie with a Windsor knot. It showed too much vanity. It was often the mark of a cad.

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Great first post, especially if the trousers are a solid mid-grey. [​IMG]

I said this last time, but my impression is confirmed: you have a very nice sense of colour. Assuming the fit issues you mentioned do self-correct (though I prefer the amount of shirt sleeve showing on the left, and I don't actually think you need more waist suppression personally; in fact IMO it would be a mistake, exaggerating your hips too much), I think this is a nice look (though again, the collar is slightly low on you). Cinching/tightening up the tie just a fraction more would give the look a touch more life, compensating for the deliberate absence of a handkerchief. This is admittedly nitpicking; It's a good summer businessy look.

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Another sunny day! Tie is dark brown; might not be obvious in the pic:

[​IMG]

17 people like this.
  20. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Very nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.