1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Really great fit. Good luck. That feeling of complete helplessness / uselessness is unlike anything else. But it ends very happily.
    Think you mean Macclesfield A simple, but if you've spent any time in Shoreditch, a funny mistake.

2. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Long time lurker, first time poster in here. I'm looking for feedback on the combination, not the fit. Will post fit pictures once I feel comfortable with combinations (formality, textures, colors) and built a respectable wardrobe.

[​IMG]

SC: Zegna Milano fit
    Shirt: CT tab-collar
    Tie: Marinella
    PS: E.G. Cappelli

[​IMG]

Trousers: TM Lewin
    Shoes: Vass
    Socks: Pantherella

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I see nothing 'wrong' with this but I would have gone with a blue shirt over white.

4. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Casual friday just cause I might hang out after work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cotton-linen jacket and trousers
    linen shirt
    cream silk hank
    carludovica palmata hat

7 people like this.
  5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Colours are really excellent and the items are great. My one quibble is that the jacket appears a little short (fine in itself, in a fashionable way) but in this case I think the trousers could then use a little more rise. As it is, the combination of pretty short jacket & relatively snug trouser fit isn't flattering. IRL, in motion, I'm sure it looks good though; it's probably just the static pic that's causing that effect.

Having fun with your unusual shirt colour challenge:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

:brick:

7. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Thanks, HF. Maybe not when used with this jacket, but I think these are probably the most flattering trousers I own. Already stressing my crotch though, can't wear them higher - it's the jacket that is fashionably short, though I find myself really enjoying the change of "pace". My dress trousers are usually fuller from the knee down, but being RTW, they are a bit snug at the thighs, a problem I commonly encounter. These I'm wearing today are not that snug at the thighs and at the same time have some more taper, and as a result I'm being continually asked if I have lost weight again today. lol.

And your shirt is the kind of stuff I really wanted to see in the challenge, well done [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Diaz, I agree with HF's assessment. I also am not a fran of such contrast in the buttons, even in a casual jacket. Are they plastic? Perhaps MOP would tone them down a bit and up the "lux" of the jacket. Also, I am not sold on the shoes. Something just looks off about the pant/shoe transition. I am thinking a derby, or a loafer would look better with that outfit.

1 person likes this.
  9. patrickBOOTH

Rudals, I don't think that is an optimal choice of tie with that suit. Something about a navy suit with a not-so-navy tie doesn't look great to me. If your tie was grey, or silver, or black knit it would great. Also, to nit, a slightly longer jacket.

2 people like this.
  10. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Patrick,
    Thanks for the feedback. Part of the reason why I post pix is to get feedback and improve based on them. You help me do just that. I think you deserve the rest of the day off! But does look that awful?

11. patrickBOOTH

I don't think it looks awful, or offensive, but I do think it looks amateur as far as dressing goes, I think you can take it to the next level so to speak by changing the tie. Is your shirt white? Or is it blue, blue blue? That would also affect my opinion on a tie for that combo. If it is white, stay in the grey/silver/black realm. If blue, you have a lot more options, throw in the black knit.

12. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

pB, buttons are ugly corozo and swapping them for MOP was something I had planned, it's just kinda hard to find natural MOP buttons around town. I'd have worn my loafers with this, but wore them yesterday so they are at rest... so I agree with both points. Thanks for the feedback. [​IMG]

HF, I think I might have misread your trouser rise assessment, were you talking about a looser, lower crotch? I actually hate the trouser crotch to show below the jacket, even with a short one like this - has a leg shortening effect [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. patrickBOOTH

Diaz, those pants look like they are giving you a camel toe, or a moose knuckle. I think the leg shortening affect is something you are going to have to live with with a jacket that short, but the trousers do have a "mom jean" kind of look to them.

14. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I think it's the pose. What you are seeing below the jacket hem that looks like a moose knuckle is not the bottom of the crotch, but rather the upper leg of... well, an undressed trouser. I should have posted the robofitpics I had taken, where it looks fine - but I deleted them...

When getting a shorter jacket the idea was to actually elongate the leg line [​IMG]

15. patrickBOOTH

Honestly, with a jacket that short I don't think you have to worry about the crotch of your pants shortening your legs.

16. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

[​IMG]

17. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Navy ties are great. Problem is, that's not a navy tie. That's a bright, primary-color blue tie. I'm with pB--swap it out for either a black/white, a truer navy, or a black knit.

1 person likes this.
  18. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Well, they are rather short by default...

I'll try the lower crotch look anyways. Might even like it..

1 person likes this.
  19. patrickBOOTH

When I said short, I meant the jacket hem itself, not the sleeves. I'm sure Sugarbutch wouldn't object me posting his fit, but this is a black knit tie (and a solid combo, in general):

[​IMG]

I don't think blending the tie with the jacket is a good move, honestly. It looks perfunctory rather than stylish. You should look at a lot of SugarButch's fits, he does navy/grey stuff very well. Also, check Whnay's Good Taste Thread for a lot of great tie/shirt combos. Ultimately, a lot of madder, challis, and macclesfield patterns are always tasteful and stylish. Also, dare I say, solid grenadines.

20. patrickBOOTH

IMO, a solid navy tie is a grey suit's tie.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.