1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coxaca

coxaca Senior member

Back in Melbourne and it's winter. Going out for a casual dinner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hat - vintage
    SC - Gant
    Scarf - Drake
    Shirt, knit, belt - Canali
    Jeans - Elwood
    Boots - RM Williams

1 person likes this.
  2. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

The weather continues to be mild (especially for August) here in NYC, and I continue to be suited.

Suit - BB Fitzgerald
    Shirt - Lewin
    Tie - BB
    Cufflinks - London Badge & Button Co.
    Shoes - Heschung, via Barney's, NYC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

2 people like this.
  4. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Although I agree that these three colors are classic in the sense that they've been worn by classically dressed men for a long time, I still maintain that they have connotations that send the mind wandering to the 90s. I could level a similar argument at the combination of brown and orange, which equally gives off very strong 70s connotations, despite at least the former being a "classic" menswear color. That is to say, even though a feature of dress is perfectly acceptable and classic in a theoretical sense, it might still be sullied by being overexposed or associated with something undesirable.

As for the question of if I'm right in associating these colors with the 90s, let me point you to the portfolio of old GQ covers:

http://www.gq.com/magazine/toc/200709/gq-covers-portfolio-50-years-slideshow

There's obviously going to be a fair bit of selection bias here, but having skimmed through the recent decades, I think it's quite apparent that these colors were a good deal more popular on the GQ covers of the 90s than of the 00s. Here's a small sample from the 90s:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are the only two specimens I could find from the 00s:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I should note that I was only 19 at the turn of the millenium, so my conception of classic menswear in the 90s is mostly based on movies, old media, and having tried on a lot of jackets from that period in thrift stores.

By surface interest, I mean a weave that doesn't look all flat. This pick-and-pick cloth from Hunt & Winterbotham is a good example:

[​IMG]

I almost always prefer textured surfaces to flat ones, but as I wrote earlier, I think they're even more essential when dealing with tones of beige, lest the cloth look bland and lifeless.

You may well be right (se above regarding my limited first-hand experience with the decade in question), but I was referring to the weave rather than to unconventional fiber mixes.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Sufferred

Sufferred Member

What style collar is best? I was thinking of switching to more of an open one. I am asking honestly, never offended.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I find it odd that southernstyle thought everything else in your outfit was fine other than the collar. Oh wait, no I don't.

1 person likes this.
  7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

While I patently disagree with Ivar regarding the colors of AAS being reminiscent of the 90s, and I think that the cut of his clothing is certainly not reminiscent of the 90s, what I think he may be picking up on is a type of kitch in his style that does give off a little bit of a 90s vibe.

I'm not saying that it's bad, I'm just saying that I do see it a little bit.

8. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I think all you did here was point out GQ was more SF-approved in the 90's than it is now.

[​IMG]

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

crusty, great fit.

ivar, i really dont understand at all what you are going on about with these color/time period associations.

10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Avocado green refrigerators = my grandma's house from the 70s. That's all I know.

11. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

It´s no Ritz charlton. The motto of ritz charlton I only quote, because I think thats what a very good hotel distinguish from a good or mediocre one.
    It´s a small relais&chateaux hotel in the south west of germany: http://www.villa-hammerschmiede.de/
    Black shoes I only wear on gray and charcoal suits.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ivar, you'll note that many of those covers are from spring/summer issues, which merely reinforces the truth that a tan cotton or linen suit is a warm-weather staple which transcends eras. The best have details which don't date them (at first glance, Jack Black's looks pretty timeless), but every fit trend manages to incorporate some version of this classic suit. Also, you've included some camel hair jackets which don't belong in this discussion (but are still classic). The biggest offenders from your selection are the worsted taupes and tans with low gorges, boxy shoulders, and baggy fit. None of these things applies to AAS's jacket.

Finally, the suit worn by Prince Charles probably was made years before it appeared on that cover.

13. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

and that outfit still looks completely appropriate for today (probably 20 years after that cover?). There is a lot to learn from the Prince, in terms of clothing.

7 people like this.
  14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not so much in terms of relationships though.

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

What's wrong with "One for mummy, one for me"?

16. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

More imageshack problems.. time to switch..

17. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I accept your objections. All I'm saying is that trends, fashions and associations affect how an item or detail of clothing is perceived, and so one can go wrong in wearing it despite it being part of the menswear canon. The jacket does have contemporary features (high gorge and button stance, deconstructed silhouette), but again, that color and styling with those jeans, for all the reasons I've outlined, sits ill with me. But I think I've already made this point clear, so I'm gonna put the issue to rest now. :D

18. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

for Ianiceman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HAPPY?!?!

21 people like this.
  19. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

The tie will be controversial... but lighten up, it's summer! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

T1, just out of curiosity - who makes your unstructured jackets?

I've been trying to shop for some, but so far only the seersucker I've been wearing often has a convincing silhouette on me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.