1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

I think this looks pretty good, but the light brown shoes distract from the dark and conservative nature of the rest of the fit.

2 people like this.
  2. An Acute Style

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those are cool, but I prefer these. They're also $400.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.septiemelargeur.fr/scott--last-174-vocalou-and-tweed-p22700-en.html

3 people like this.
  3. An Acute Style

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

thanks, AAS. interesting perspective. i think the risk there is all the light gray together with the white ending up looking very washed out.

also, i am under threat of death from gdl if i ever wear an odd jacket with a white shirt again. :freeze:

1 person likes this.
  5. An Acute Style

Sometimes you guys say things and I have no idea what you're talking about. First, this whole notion about navy blue odd pants not being awesome is dumbfounding to me. I wear navy blue pants all the time and think they're amazing. I'd love to see some pictures where they don't work. Just like a navy blue blazer is a classic jacket, I see navy blue pants as being just as classic. Second, what is all this business about grey sport coats being wack. Again, I'd love to see a fail there as well. Pairing a grey SC with grey slacks is silly, because the colors are too close. Navy, beige and/or cream pants to name a few works well IMO. If I get a minute I'll find some pics. Ya'll crazy. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

We are not saying they are off limits, just hard to do right.

7. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior member

Better than your last attempt with that jacket, but not there yet. Honestly, I'm not optimistic about that jacket as I can't think of any good combinations with it which is quite sad, because the rest of the fit is quite good, exchange that jacket with a mid brown one and you're there.
    The one lesson here is to not buy a "medium" gray SJ, especially one with no texture interest.

8. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Okay, no texture-less gray SCs is something I can get behind. As aravenel says, the no-gray sportcoat rule fails the "gray herringbone tweed is awesome and goes with errythang" test.

Stitches, have you tried that coat with dark gray trousers? I could also see tan, brown, or even cream gabs working here.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

SF surely gets all worked up about grey odd jackets, and I don't see why, they're honestly not that hard to pull off in real life. Sure, a navy jacket might be easier, but sometimes people want some variety in their wardrobe. It would be really boring if we'd all be wearing navy odd jackets with mid grey trousers.

4 people like this.
  10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The trouser pairing is only part of it--a great number of grey SCs look like orphan suit coats. There are far fewer workable SC patterns in grey IMO.

Really, aside from the blue blazer, brown is where it's at for SCs IMO. You're going casual already, go all the way.

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

As long as you make sure the grey SC has some texture, an interesting pattern or is made of a fabric not typically used for suits you'll be fine. Brown jackets certainly look great, but it can be harder to pull off for younger guys like myself, as it's not a typical color for people my age.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  12. An Acute Style

Algebra 2 final exam today. I had to abandon my jacket when I went around to collect books. I hope none of the students mistook me for a cellphone salesman. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

BUT GREEN PANTS ARE TOTALLY COOL!! :slayer:
    there is much craziness on SF. absolutes are too easily thrown about. as the discussion furthers, we can see that most agree there are applications for both, its just a metter of honing in on what they are.
    i have! been a while since i wore it though. next outing will be with darker gray, dont have any appropriate brown pants for this atm.

14. carlos20co

carlos20co Well-Known Member

Very nice outfit but why no belt?

15. An Acute Style

I often don't wear a belt. I feel belts should accessories not necessities. In this situation, the waist on these pants is .5 to .75 inches too big. The pants sit comfortably on my hips, but when I put on a belt the waistband bunches up around the waist. I wanted to see if I could wear them without a belt all day. After a day of wear, I've concluded I'd like to have the waist taken in some.

16. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

It's easier than you think, I think. Try dark brown cotton, for instance. All your light blue shirts will work beautifully with it.
    This is coming from an old guy, though.

3 people like this.
  17. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

COME ON people . . . . he needs green shell with the blackwatch
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  18. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

[​IMG]
    Picked up this Brioni DB jacket on the bay for $60 including shipping. My only DB, and I rather like the look.

2 people like this.
  19. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Looks sweet ptwilliams [​IMG]

20. MickeyHardFit

MickeyHardFit Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.