1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17 people like this.
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

You are clearly demented, Sir. A jacket and no tie is casual. A tie and no jacket is a busboy. Which I think is an American term. In the UK, we take the dirty plates home with us out of shame.

Butch: re. laces, they're only on show because I pulled up my trousers for the "rock your socks" thread pic - normally it's rather more discreet! I don't have an especially high instep; my oxfords close fine, maybe just these shoes. Anyway, noted! Looking very fine today, by the way.

As are Clag, Axel, Eliod. "Fuckin' eh", as I believe they say in your country.

Dingus: you do not need an excuse or an office job to dress well. Do it for yourself.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    5 people like this.
  3. williamson

williamson Senior member

The first sentence of yours which I quote, and the fact that you used the "f-word" (which I refuse to quote) in the later sentences of your posting prompt me to dismiss your opinion with impatience.

A jacket and no tie is sloppy and unfinished, not casual at all. The look was virtually unknown in the UK before the 1990s, and during my formative years with respect to style (the late 1950s - the "Ivy League" period in the USA) - was considered the height, or rather the depth, of bad taste.
    A tie with a long-sleeved shirt and belted, flat-fronted cotton trousers without turn-ups is perfectly good summer wear for when a suit is not necessary. The reluctance of many posters on this forum to shed the jacket in very warm weather (and on your side of the Atlantic the summers are much hotter than in these islands) I find incomprehensible.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

As someone who rolls his sleeves up and wears a tie without a jacket, I agree with you (with the caveat that the tie and shoes must be of obvious and excellent quality and the shirt perfectly tailored; otherwise you will indeed look like a cellphone salesman if you are under 30 or a carsaleman if over)

But the Mimo will be the Mimo. Everything he says is in good sport.

1 person likes this.
  5. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

In light of recent discussions I offer you both shirt, tie and jacket (and indeed also trousers, sorry pB). Fire away, gentlemen....

[​IMG]

Close-up and shoes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  6. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

nice proportions and presentation Pings ^^^^^

1 person likes this.
  7. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

[​IMG]

Oops, wrong thread. Terribly sorry, Mimo.

9 people like this.
  8. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I like the belt-laces-floor combo Nobd

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Ah, I picked the right floor! :)

10. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

I rather like the exuberant "hanky".

An attractive rig, here, SB!

1 person likes this.
  11. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

I think Ralph Lauren has shown more than a few successful baseball cap, tie and jacket combos. As long as all the other elements are equally as casual as the hat, I don't see an issue with it.

Based on comments from this thread this week, I have two ideas for new Friday challenges: baseball hat challenge and the tie and no jacket challenge. I'm sure those would be serious challenges for many.

12. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

The sun is supposed to remain out all day - hence the fair-weather attire. Speaking of hats, as above, the hat is new - a Christy's from Thomas Farthing, a little shop in Museum St., just steps from the British Museum.

Suit & shirt - BB
    Tie - no name brand, from the now-defunct discounter Daffy's
    Shoes - Tyrwhitt
    Hat - Christy's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  13. Johnboy

Johnboy Senior member

I really like your outfit Cousin and I really don't care what needs to be let out or in [​IMG] . . Nice one!!

1 person likes this.
  14. mimo

mimo Senior member

Williamson, do calm down old chap.

I think we're both on the same side of the Pond, but either way you're still a lunatic. I can tell by the way you capital-lettered at me!

It is an interesting historical observation that the "tie-no-jacket" was an American import. Probably true. A suit with no tie, now that's definitely an import, and not one with which I'm very comfortable. A bit "Miami Vice" for me. But no, taking one's jacket off for a game of hands or a fist fight while still bedecked in tie and collar, certainly a proud British tradition. But I cannot think of any time or example of tie-and-no-jacket being a sartorial norm when leaving the house, let alone a positive example. Even for my grandfather's generation, as far as I can see it was jacket and tie, or shirt sleeve order (that's rolled sleeves and open collar, Clag, if you're listening). I'd be interested to see examples of what you were thinking, though: despite my strident ranting I am always delighted to expand my horizons. Just don't tell anybody. Show a sign of weakness here and it's all over (just remember it's only a forum on the internet and never, ever, actually take anyone seriously) [​IMG]

By the way, I'm sorry if my cursing offended you. I am (no sarcasm) chastened, and will resolve to mind my manners. I do sometimes cross the line in the name of "banter". Foul language is a bad habit, and although rife on the internet, probably not becoming these gentlemanly surroundings. Anyway, I shall reserve further profanity for people without socks or wearing denim or baseball caps. And I don't care if it is Ralph Effing Lauren!

Clag, I thought you'd been cured of that, but thanks for the observation. And stick your baseball cap up your chuff, it's a crime. I think you need a boater.

Ping, God bless you and your jacket, tie, trousers and socks.

Nobby, I'm not rising to it. Nice floor!

Acute, don't encourage him. Ralph Lauren is a man I admire greatly, mostly for his self-made career as a marketing genius and of course his personal charisma. But not all the innovations he has used as calculated tools along the way, are worthy of emulation. Actually, not very many of them at all in my opinion. Good magazine copy, awful in the queue at the Post Office. Apart from the high peaked lapels. That bit was good. :)

Crusty, shall I compare thee to a summer's day?! Wondering what Friday will bring if this is only Wednesday!

1 person likes this.
  15. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

FWIW, IMO,

suit / no tie = fail, **

tie / no jacket = fail, **

suit / no socks = atomicsupermegafail, **

sc / no tie = perfectly okay, **

baseball cap = fail (unless you are 12 years old, or actually playing baseball, or sitting in the stands at an actual baseball game)

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tie and no jacket reminds me of a cell phone salesperson. It is certainly accepted as a part of business casual in America, but it is a bad look. I think it is so rampant because it is cheap and easy like most common style affectations.

4 people like this.
  17. mimo

mimo Senior member

*thinking of forming a political party with Roger, Pingson and PB*

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

We need something to disagree on then: ankles.

2 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Senior member

The first purge begins...

1 person likes this.
  20. FillW

FillW Senior member

Yeah, I think it needs to be let out some but the tie looks great!
    [​IMG]
    I am a big sinner then... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shirt & tie with no jacket = Dorky.

Shirt and jacket with no tie = Cool!

Suit with no tie = Dorky.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.