1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

I'm actually a fan of going sockless, but I like bankles or barankles better (play on bare ankles).

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

No need to come up with a derogatory word, those poor ankles might want to peep over your shoes once in a while to see what's going on. Covering them all the time should be a crime, as no one should be forced to miss all the wonders of this world. I propose worldwide mandatory Sockless Saturdays.

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i harbor no ill will to exposed ankles in theory, but i would never do so myself unless i was swimming.

1 person likes this.
  4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I generally only do it on the hottest days of summer. When I see guys doing it on days like today 70 and sunny with a breeze it is clear they just want attention.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

Not wearing socks with shoes is wrong. Like wearing socks with sandals. That's my line and I'm sticking to it.

If you happen to be walking from your car to your yacht across a hot car park, and slip your boat shoes onto your bare feet for two minutes, the exception is valid. But, generally, if you're not on the beach or a boat, then you're just being a wanker. And if you're wearing a suit, then a double wanker with bells on. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. FillW

FillW Senior member

Looks good. Kinda the way I do my fold most of the time. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. FillW

FillW Senior member

Well, it's very Miami Vice-ish.

I don't like to do it cause I don't like the feel or smell of my sweaty feet. [​IMG]

8. patrickBOOTH

You've never stood on a NYC subway platform in July, or August have you?

9. FillW

FillW Senior member

Like he's missing something.

It stinks down there. [​IMG]

10. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Temperatures are back down after two weeks of unseasonably hot weather, so wool is not only possible, but actually preferable again. Nankles are not even being considered....

[​IMG]

Close-up etc:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  11. mimo

mimo Senior member

Ah, Pingson, bless your lovely shoes and socks.

PB, I have indeed stood on a subway platform in NY in the summer, and London for many summers too. I'm not sure how bare feet in shoes would really aid in that scenario.

Anyway, I appreciate that I'm swimming against the current tide here (and I daren't go to Georgia at all), but I won't have it. :)

12. patrickBOOTH

Well, I am not talking about bare feet. I'm talking about bare ankles. No show socks all of the way, and it does make a difference.

1 person likes this.
  13. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Nankles doesn't seem offensive enough to be a pejorative.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea (if we're using English colloquialisms such as the oddly harsh "wanker") but in the preppy environs of my home town, I'm not at all out of place. I got more attention for wearing a pocket square today than I did for the glimpse of bare ankle. I guess the focus on my ankles here suggests that I didn't have a major squarefail, which I will take as a win. Thanks for the thumbs everyone.

1 person likes this.
  14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Pink windowpane? Pink windowpane!
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. patrickBOOTH

^Far worse than ankles for sure.

I remember growing up my father told me that rich people don't wear socks. I never understood what he was talking about.

16. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I personally like the entire outfit. Looks pretty relaxed.

But I do agree that sockless loafers are wrong... only because I can't pull them off. :)

I did order some "invisible" socks from Mes Chaussettes that will be arriving for me to try out. Maybe I'll find a combo that suits me. On a Sunday where we're sitting outside on a patio, drinking mimosas and shooting the shit, I'd opt for the invisible socks where I can let some air get to my ankles to cool me down without sweating all over my shoes.

Edit: Invisible socks = No Show.

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

I can see that. Sitting on the deck, boat, beach...linens or chinos, polo shirt perhaps, or at least no jacket no tie. And invisible socks. Fine (although watch the mosquitoes...they dig ankles...)

It's this current trend of wearing formal wear with slippers and no socks that really turns my stomach.

2 people like this.
  18. patrickBOOTH

You're saying that I shouldn't be sockless in my opera pumps, either? :confused:

19. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Are you kidding me? I like this a lot, MonkeyFace! Don't tell me this is the one you got from SuitSupply as you said in the SuitSupply thread? [​IMG]

20. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

I go by the rule: 'if it has laces don't go sockless'

The exception to this rule being boat shoes.they are intended to be worn sockless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.