• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Pingson
"Nice shoes! Model?"

They are Belfiore, i believe they only have a shop in Milan on Belfiore street, the quality is just awesome while the price is very good, around 170 or so euros iirc.

edit: i've checked their site they seem to have a e-shop http://www.calzaturebelfiore.com/index.php

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about the buttoning point, it could certainly have been lower. I think the whole jacket looks a tad bit short, maybe the high buttoning point is a contributing factor to this? Other than that, the look is classic.
Hmm.. I actually tried on a 40R, but it seemed way, way too long. It reached past the tips of my thumbs, and I have long arms, so you can imagine it made me look really short legged. When measuring for jacket length I usually pay attention to proportion between torso and legs, and nothing else. The buttoning point was spot-on on the regular, but the length was beyond alterable...

I have the same problem with single breasted coats anyways. I like the waist and button placements on regulars, but have to get shorts because of my height. That's the problem of being exactly in the middle point between S and R
tounge.gif

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would say that the true colour is somewhere between the top and bottom pictures. Really hard to get an accurate representation of the colours with the poor lighting today (it's raining buckets outside). The tone of the suit is also a warmer brown than what the photos show.

that sounds lovely! sucks about the rain tho. :(

Thanks. Just added a close up pic :)

no p! looks good. i love the shape of that DB, and it looks great on you.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
By way of hopefully compensating for my rather cobbled-together outfit of earlier today, something marginally more thought-through for going out in a bit. Sorry for the lighting/compensatory image-processing but it's already getting dark here. Trousers are actually dark chocolate brown velvet and the v-neck is a dark green. Shirt & square recycled from what I was wearing earlier.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score

I like this, but it would look even better if you gave your hanky a slight upward pull. It looks a bit downtrodden next to those huge (but wonderful!) lapels.

Ivar

Reaction score

I haven't posted in a while, but I thought I could use some feedback on my first time ever wearing a DB jacket. I would have liked the buttoning point a bit lower, or even a 6-1; but there isn't much choice in relatively cheap RTW for DB's...

Yeah, the button stance is definitely too high. Looks OK, though.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score

On the impact of Acridsheep in swaying SF towards love of navy pants: A small sample study.
11_2_12.jpg

I believe Manton's point was more that he couldn't think of a single instance where a different color wasn't a superior choice to navy. In this outfit, chestnut or chocolate brown pants would look even better, IMO.

Last edited:

suitedcboy

Reaction score

Had to get dressed in a right hurry this morning (didn't even have time to take teh snaps until I got back). I think the rush shows, esp. in the tie knot and general slight scruffiness (not to mention the stubble) & lack of much real synergy/interest between the various items. Oh well...

I see zero reasons for apologies, even the less than clean-shaven face.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I believe Manton's point was more that he couldn't think of a single instance where a different color wasn't a superior choice to navy. In this outfit, chestnut or chocolate brown pants would look even better, IMO.

personally, i have never been a huge fan of the critique, "this is nice, BUT, would look better with different color PS/pants/socks/underwear......"

imo, many times, if it looks good, it looks good. maybe the person has a certain item, and they want to wear it. or they got sick of gray/brown pants and wanted a new color. its like saying, you look good, but it would be even better if you were wearing a totally different outfit that also looks good, but might be better (well that is an exaggeration).

no hate, ivar, just something i wanted to get of my chesticles, and i used your post as a soap box.

/rant

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't posted in a while, but I thought I could use some feedback on my first time ever wearing a DB jacket. I would have liked the buttoning point a bit lower, or even a 6-1; but there isn't much choice in relatively cheap RTW for DB's...

The oversized french cuffs and short shirt sleeves are making the jacket sleeves wrinkle, and the awkwardness in my right shoulder is due to it being a low shoulder. Not sure I can have that fixed, but anyways, this fits much better than most RTW I find...

I would agree with your assessment that the button stance could have stood to be a bit lower - 3 cm would have made a world of difference - but as it stands, the jacket looks fine, and it is a proper length for you, either by the position of your thumb joints to the hem, or to the fact that it (I will posit, since I can't see behind you) covers your rear correctly. A shorter jacket would have looked much worse on you.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure if I shouldn't really have bought the regular - it seemed way, and I mean waaay too long, but there was also quite a bit of space between the pockets and the hem so maybe it could have been shortened. I do, however, feel that a DB looks better with more space between pockets and hem, and that's why I went with the short; don't know if that's right or wrong. The button stance was about 3-4 cm lower on the regular. Another important reason to go with the short was the armholes; they were really low on the regular, and I hate that.

The sleeves on this one were shortened a little so I can't return it... Fortunately, I still love how it looks, but will take your oppinions into account for future DB purchases. If my upcoming MTM single breasted coat turns out well, I might comission a DB as well. Thank you gents.
smile.gif

Last edited:

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would agree with your assessment that the button stance could have stood to be a bit lower - 3 cm would have made a world of difference - but as it stands, the jacket looks fine, and it is a proper length for you, either by the position of your thumb joints to the hem, or to the fact that it (I will posit, since I can't see behind you) covers your rear correctly. A shorter jacket would have looked much worse on you.

As I said in an earlier post, my over all impression was that the jacket looked to be on the short side. After having stared at the photo a little more, I think it's the short "top" (the part above the buttoning point) that causes the odd look. So even if the jacket is of proper length, the top/bottom "balance" (in lack of a better description) is off because of the high buttoning point and messes up the image of the jacket as a whole. But trust me, I have all kinds of sympathies for problems like this as I am tall (as in very tall) and run into these problems all the time when trying OTR suits/SCs.

Keeping my fingers crossed that your MTM works out :D

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally, i have never been a huge fan of the critique, "this is nice, BUT, would look better with different color PS/pants/socks/underwear......"
imo, many times, if it looks good, it looks good. maybe the person has a certain item, and they want to wear it. or they got sick of gray/brown pants and wanted a new color. its like saying, you look good, but it would be even better if you were wearing a totally different outfit that also looks good, but might be better (well that is an exaggeration).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying to someone that one element of their otherwise perfectly formed outfit is off - indeed that is often the most helpful thing to me - sometimes I really didn't realise that the trousers I had chosen looked even worse than I had throught. Okay, so the fact that sometimes we already know that this is a problem might make it annoying to have it pointed out, but if we don't want anyone to say anything, why post in this thread at all? And even if you or I don't think we need to be told - and personally, I'm not sure I can claim that - it certainly helps other people to understand what works and what doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads