1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pembers

Pembers Senior member

It's quite striking, I like it. And I guess you're American so can get away with it.

But I dread to think what would happen if somebody In the UK was spotted wearing that. :rotflmao: It's the sort of thing that a member of the Oxford University Conservative Association might wear to an event at which they end up drinking port out of a pith helmet.

2 people like this.
  2. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

FTFY

2 people like this.
  3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am pleased by your usual jacket length...
    Hat in particular looks great.
    No, it does not.

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

14 people like this.
  5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

And now this is for sale for everyone. Might have to kop.

6. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Me too - but what happened to Egypt and Sudan? Can't remember the full chronology of the old empire!

7. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

Well i don't like hunting that much, may be because of that i don't understand it. I occasionally go to forests, may be even stay there overnight, i enjoy outdoors and enjoy nature, but I bring my food with me. The point of hunting in short is to kill an animal, and people are making a sport out of it (the trophies as you've told). Don't get me wrong, I was almost 8 years in Martial Arts, I was quite cruel when fighting and i quite enjoyed it, my teammates were even calling me Berserk for that, but the difference is my opponents were fighting me willingly and i didn't have a big advantage (gun) against them.

8. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

First day when linen is called for :nodding:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(..and no, I hadn't seen Orgetorix fit from yesterday when I decided what to wear today :embar:)

Last edited: May 20, 2013
    14 people like this.
  9. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

Egypt was never formally a colony. After the building of the Suez they were heavily indebted to European banks (especially British and French) and ownership of shares was sold on to our governments, leading to British and French controllers sitting in the Egyptian Cabinet effectively dictating from behind the scenes by financial means. After Nationalist uprisings in the early 1880s the British army intervened, defeated the nationalist forces in '82 (also bombing cities) and installed Tewfik as a puppet ruler - a figurehead for British rule.

[​IMG]

At the break of the first world war Egypt became an official protectorate to solidify our position against the Central Powers aligned Ottoman Empire.

The map in the pocket square is from 1886 and the Scramble for Africa was only just beginning - it started in 1881 and lasted until the onset of WWI. Cape Colony had already been colonised by the Dutch and formally ceded to the British Empire in 1814 but inner-Africa was uncolonisable until advances in exploration and medical technology later on.

Sudan, Kenya, Uganda, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Swaziland, and Zambia were all colonised or conquered during the period between 1890 and early 20th century in a determined attempt to link the holdings in the north (Egypt and the Suez with the south (Cape Colony) by rail and telegraph to facilitate military movement, communication (and therefore effective governance), easy trade and movement of resources and so-forth. The British were more successful at this than the French attempt to build a West to East connection and the Portuguese aim at an East to West link. Imperial Germany's acquisition of German East Africa prevented the link from being complete until the defeat of the Kaiser and fall of the German colonies in 1918. By then, however, the British empire was out of money and was unable to focus on colonial expansion - instead being preoccupied with both domestic issues and problems with its existing colonies: the Anglo-Irish war (1919-1921/22), nationalist tensions in India (including the Amritsar massacre), the formal indepdenance of Egypt and the Balfour Declaration granting commonwealth status to the Dominions of the empire (Canada, Newfoundland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the Irish Free State) to offload the cost of administration.

3 people like this.
  10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

To each their own, and you definitely have a right not to enjoy hunting, or even to disapprove of it. However I think ethical hunting involves as little cruelty as possible. Also, consider this, unless you are a vegetarian your meat possibly comes from cramped slaughter houses, unethical breeding grounds and farms, etc. I'd rather eat meat from animals who get to live natural lives in the wild. Isn't always possible of course, but it's preferable to me.

2 people like this.
  11. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

This rox Pingson- very very nice

.. and snap from me on the linen-

linen, linen, grenadine, silk
    (H&K, H&H, Panta, Hober)

+ EG Oxfords in chestnut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  12. mimo

mimo Senior member

1 person likes this.
  13. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Something with which to start the week - a short one, work-wise, and even shorter for postings here. I will be off to Amsterdam, London (with a day trip to Paris) starting Wednesday evening, so today and tomorrow will be my last postings until June. Please try to hold up under the strain .

Suit - Paul Stuart Phineas Cole
    Shirt & Tie - BB
    Braces - Lewin
    Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
    Shoes - Bexley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  14. mimo

mimo Senior member

See the Japanese shoes thread for a similar debate about seals/exotics.

15. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

I don't disapprove of hunting, as you've told to each his own. I just don't like doing that myself, cruel or not killing is killing and I've already told my point of view on killing, regardless human or animal. Well yes, the idea of slaughterhouses and animal abuse is torturing me, but i don't see any solution, if they were killed, not buying that meat will not stop it.

Hmmm... that actually is a pretty good idea!

16. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Fantastic!! I will have to bring my linen suit out this week too. Keeping my fingers crossed that the weather remains linen-worthy....
    Solid as usual Crusty. Have a nice trip!!

1 person likes this.
  17. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Great looking shirt. That's the one downside of being younger, it's impossible to appropriately wear a contrast collar shirt.

18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Pingson - superb.

1 person likes this.
  19. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

@Pingson: Awesome!

Tieless Monday. X post from MC Casual thread.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  20. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

This is easily my oldest remaining suit, and when I got it, it was already second-hand! It must have been re-tailored at least 4-5 times over the years, and has probably already gone past the point of no return. But I still really like the lapel shape, so I still wear it a bit over summer. It's definitely seen better days when you get up close, with some fraying and general wear & tear, so I'll have to get shot of it soon. I'm thinking of getting a new mid-grey suit in a year-round fabric with a moderately casual pattern to replace both it and another suit that doesn't really fit me well any more. Not sure what fabric I want yet, so I'm letting that idea percolate gradually over the coming months, and will probably decide what to get in the autumn...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.