1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Today's fit is a tale of two suits. The first is a seersucker suit that I picked up some time ago at Joseph A. Bank – my first foray into seersucker, and hedging my bets, I opted for low price on a garment that I was uncertain that I'd want to own.

The second is a seersucker suit from Brooks, my most recent purchase. I've taken pictures of both suits, with the same accessories, to see the difference in style and fit. The Brooks is obviously a superior fit, and I'm much happier wearing it.

As it happens, this is also the first day this year that the weather warrants the wearing of such a warm-weather fabric, and, in keeping with the rather retro nature of seersucker, it's also the opening day for Baz Luhrmann's movie version of “The Great Gatsby”. With this in mind, I've broken a rule or two with regard to seersucker – I'm wearing a double-cuffed shirt with a pin collar, and I'm uncertain whether my choice of socks is kosher under any form of sartorial rules. The first I did for pure “retro”, the second for personal caprice.

So be it.

Suit – BB or JAB
    Shirt – Tyrwhitt
    Tie – BB
    Collar pin – PRL
    Cufflinks – Metropolitan Museum of Art
    Shoes – C & J Maltons

JAB:

[​IMG]

Brooks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2013
    15 people like this.
  2. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Details on the pants?

3. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

That sportscoat..details?

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

It's a wool/silk/linen mix SC from SuitSupply. I believe it's from their previous S/S collection.

1 person likes this.
  5. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

-

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

fantastic fits, crusty and monkeyface.

monkeyface - did you remove the tie-belt after the pic?

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Cheers! Nope, go hard or go home [​IMG] The way I tied it works surprisingly well as a belt, there's nothing sticking out. It's a relatively cheap cotton tie that I hardly wear, so I don't really care what happens to it. I am changing into something more comfortable soon though, as I'm about to hit the gym.

8. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

From yesterday, ideally the tie would be a bit darker. However, it holds a special significance because it was from my late grandfather who passed last weekend. Tie is 100% linen, shirt is 65% linen.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  9. in stitches

awesome. how did you tie it?
    i think it looks great. condolences on your grandfather. very special that you have something you can wear to remind you of him.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

It's a little hard to explain, but I put it on just like a belt, making sure that the wide and narrow ends of the tie were in the front. So you have the two ends of the tie in your hands after you put it on, the wide end in your left hand, and the narrow end in your right hand. I put the smaller end behind the wider end, through the tie loop, which serves as a sort of belt buckle.
    Then I put the wider end through the first belt loop on the right, and because it started to get too wide after that, folded it in half. This means that you're putting the wider end over the narrow end. It turned out that the tie ended just past the second belt loop on the right, so that was very convenient. Only a discerning eye would be able to distinguish I'm wearing a tie for a belt.

Anyway, there might be a better way to do it, but this is how I figured it out!

11. mimo

mimo Senior member

When you go off the map, Crusty, you really do it well. Not that your perfect pinstripes are anything but superb, but I've really enjoyed your more country-fied fits of late, and this bit of peacockery is absolutely brilliant. Let it out, your public approves!

12. in stitches

sounds cool, thanks for the explanation.

13. Quantimil

Quantimil Well-Known Member

The shoulders on the JAB seersucker are massive and the jacket is long in sleeve and body - reminds me of a zoot suit. But hey, that's almost the correct time period. Monkeyface's combo works surprisingly well. I don't think I've seen anyone pull off a red sportcoat before.

14. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

^ I wondered if we'd see the Fez! Very fun.

TTO, Angelicboris & Monkeyface looking especially good today. Monkey - the (two) ties are just enough to save this from looking like you've escaped from Butlins, and instead turn it into a really good flashy look.

1 person likes this.
  16. in stitches

17. Jimmy D

Jimmy D Member

Killer shoes, Crusty

1 person likes this.
  18. Jimmy D

Jimmy D Member

Details on the tie as well. Killer tie. Awesome!

19. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

ive worn a red sportcoat a few times...i didnt pull it off though...your ma did.

AYO!

1 person likes this.
  20. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.