• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't like the hat. Otherwise it's a classic look. And like the picture it self.
So, I realize there are 1000 things wrong with the jacket fit (I think I've mentioned elsewhere I recently lost a bunch of weight, and I've even had it altered once), I forgot my collar stays, and the tie color is not accurate in the pic (it's more of a blue/grey heather), but some kind soul stopped me in the street to snap the pic, so it can't be all bad . . . .

from www.bostonstreetstyle.com

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I hate this.

Why? I hate most of your recent pics: ill fitting dull and old man-ish, but I like this one. Jacket looks like it actually fits you, brighter colours, nice tie, lapels from within the last couple of decades ... do this more often!:D

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why? I hate most of your recent pics: ill fitting dull and old man-ish, but I like this one. Jacket looks like it actually fits you, brighter colours, nice tie, lapels from within the last couple of decades ... do this more often!:D

One man's ill fitting and old man-ish is another's well-fitting sack suit (another reason I don't bother to post full-length pics anymore; bsides the hassle, I don't want to hear about members' dislike of sack silhouette). :happy:

Some irony about the lapels — this is the oldest of the suits I've recently worn, a Chippworth from the 60s.

I think Manton's rubbing off on me. The red tie doesn't sit well with me at all.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

One man's ill fitting and old man-ish is another's well-fitting sack suit (another reason I don't bother to post full-length pics anymore; bsides the hassle, I don't want to hear about members' dislike of sack silhouette). :happy:
Some irony about the lapels — this is the oldest of the suits I've recently worn, a Chippworth from the 60s.
I think Manton's rubbing off on me. The red tie doesn't sit well with me at all.

:D:D

Is not "well fitting sack suit" a contradiction in terms?:cool:

Anyway I like the tie, can't quite make it out but it looks like a garza fina grenadine. If so, I have one very similar which I admit han't seen much wear yet but yours looks fine in that combination so don't commit yourself completely to the cult of Manton!

Last edited:

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:D:D
Is not "well fitting sack suit" a contradiction in terms?:cool:
Anyway I like the tie, can't quite make it out but it looks like a garza fina grenadine. If so, I have one very similar which I admit han't seen much wear yet but yours looks fine in that combination so don't commit yourself completely to the cult of Manton!

It is, from Harrods. I wish it were a shade less fire-truck.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the first time I'm wearing pants with a 7.5" leg opening. Not sure if it works with my physique. Here's a shirt sleeve pic so you get the idea (yes, this shirt is tight as hell; it was a gift from someone who thinks I'm smaller than I actually am
tounge.gif
):

Deets:

Jacket = Noname
Chinos, socks = Emidio Tucci
Shirt = Rushmore
Tie = Drake's
PS = E.G. Cappelli
Shoes = Carmina

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RDiaz: you're going to get stick for that shirt/tie combo. Nonetheless I quite like it in a kaleidoscopic way. I'm less keen on the narrow leg opening, at least with that break. Perhaps something midway between this circumference and your wider pairs might be a good compromise.

I hate this.
8029582173_37a90fe52a_z.jpg

I understand why you do, but I think it stems more from a clash of styles than anything else. I think that if the shirt had a normal collar and was in a finer fabric rather than being an OCBD, this would be a very nice look indeed. It's a fairly (old-fashioned) businessy/corporate/bankery look (pinstripe suit, stripe shirt, red tie, flouncy square, and - I assume - black shoes) and the casual shirt just comes off as a little too informal within that fit. Now, I'm not sure you'd personally enjoy wearing the more transatlantic version of this look, but it would work fine IMO.

To answer the Q's from others about my clothes today: the jacket is dark plum corduroy from Aquascutum (I want to say last year, but could be the year before); it doesn't fit wonderfully (a touch long in overall length, a touch too built up in the shoulder though width is fine) but I love the colour & fabric and the fit in every other regard is near-ideal for me. And the shoes are black suede John Lobbs derbies (can't remember the model name, sorry).

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RDiaz: you're going to get stick for that shirt/tie combo. Nonetheless I quite like it in a kaleidoscopic way. I'm less keen on the narrow leg opening, at least with that break. Perhaps something midway between this circumference and your wider pairs might be a good compromise.

The tie is madder, and I wanted to experiment pairing it with an informal shirt; this is about all I have. Need to stock up on OCBDs, and I think today's fit would have looked much better with a sky blue solid/gingham, instead of navy gingham. I'll prepare my umbrella for the rain of hate
tounge.gif

Regarding leg opening, yesterday's suit was about halfway between 7.5" and 10" (which is the leg opening on my widest pairs) and I think it works well for dress pants. I can live with a less than perfect break on chinos, but you're absolutely right.

Thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads