• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can wear this tie once a year.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The socks, Diaz, the socks...
shog[1].gif

Laundry problem. No dry socks this morning except those. Horizontal stripes are awful, but at least I liked the colors, they don't clash. I hope I don't deserve hell
tongue.gif

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lufty - hmm, leaving aesthetics aside (I think the colours work just fine), I'm not quite sure what to think about that. I appreciate the undoubtedly well-meaning remembrance sentiment behind the tie choice, but I must admit to me it feels a little... icky. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing, say, a tie with a red double-decker bus or a tube train on 7/7 in London. Would almost be like a rubbing-in-face sort of feeling. However, I fullyu accept that I can't fairly comment on your choice as I think only someone who actually lives in the USA can make a judgement about the propriety of wearing it and the reaction of others.

Anyway, from one potentially controversial fit to another, albeit for very different reasons. I usually get a fair bit of stick for this hot pink tie:

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lufty - hmm, leaving aesthetics aside (I think the colours work just fine), I'm not quite sure what to think about that. I appreciate the undoubtedly well-meaning remembrance sentiment behind the tie choice, but I must admit to me it feels a little... icky. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing, say, a tie with a red double-decker bus or a tube train on 7/7 in London. Would almost be like a rubbing-in-face sort of feeling. However, I fullyu accept that I can't fairly comment on your choice as I think only someone who actually lives in the USA can make a judgement about the propriety of wearing it and the reaction of others.

I think that's just a cultural difference between the UK and the USA. I have much the same feelings as you, which is no comment on how anyone 'should' feel at all. And that's all you can say.

Quote:
I don't think that is the problem here: it's rather that the top and the bottom halfs just seem to be a little incongruent to me. I don't like the predominantly pink and grey top half with beige trousers, or vice-versa.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chris, the bottom is
happy.gif
, the top is
crazy.gif

Why do you have this love for weird ties?

Don't know. Maybe still working through the repressed rage of having to wear the same tie every day for years back at school? On the other hand, my house colours were a pretty unusual combination (green on black) so maybe it was more that I got inoculated to wearing ugly ties at an early age, something which has permanently destroyed my ability to pick attractive ties?
biggrin.gif

In hindsight, I'm now given to understand that those green & black colours are the same as Rowling later used for Slytherin. So I guess you could say I just have an evil streak and wear them to torment you all.
devil.gif

Quote:
I don't think that is the problem here: it's rather that the top and the bottom halfs just seem to be a little incongruent to me. I don't like the predominantly pink and grey top half with beige trousers, or vice-versa.
Yeah, probably just a UK/US difference. Probably shouldn't have commented really.

Re: the top/bottom dissonance. I quite often wear beige or brown with grey. I must admit to never quite being happy with the results but struggle with other options with pale grey odd jackets. Obviously with cooler weather outfits, it's quite easy to use a darker pair of trousers with them, but in summer (or at least, sunny weather like today), I don't fancy going dark. I suppose cream or white might have been an option, but I tend to get mixed feedback on SF when trying those with mid or pale grey jackets too. Any other ideas?

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As much as I believe that the tribute is authentic and heartfelt, I would have hesitation to do what Lufty has done myself, especially since my place of business is a few mere blocks from Ground Zero (now a very active construction site), and because I was an eyewitness to 09/11 (I did not wait for the towers to collapse, and was too far away to see people jumping to their deaths, something for which I am quite grateful).

As for the buildings themselves, I have less than no sentimental attachment - they were poorly constructed and quite ugly, and the stairwell lighting was not corrected from the first attack on the complex in 1993, a fact that made me quite angry after the second attack. (As the buildings were built and owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, they did not have to conform to NYC building code.)

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As much as I believe that the tribute is authentic and heartfelt, I would have hesitation to do what Lufty has done myself, especially since my place of business is a few mere blocks from Ground Zero…

Fair enough.

Many folks wear "never forget" t-shirts today — this is as close to that as I can get.

I'm not a fan of "never forget", but rather "always remember."

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Eleven years ago, I expressed my solidarity by flying around the world to NYC, staying in Manhattan, eating and drinking and shopping, and basically refusing to allow hate-peddlars to stop the world from turning. Just a couple of days, within a week of this date.

But today, I reserve the right to object to that tie. Not because of any implied mawkishness or jingoism: just because it's really ****ing ugly, and this is, after all, the "Style Forum". The occasion might be different, but I'd rate a Christmas tree sweater much the same. :)

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

…But today, I reserve the right to object to that tie.  Not because of any implied mawkishness or jingoism: just because it's really ****ing ugly, and this is, after all, the "Style Forum".  The occasion might be different, but I'd rate a Christmas tree sweater much the same. :) 

No argument.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wonder how many fat pockets 9/11 memorial novelties created.

That's a good question. This is a pre-2001 tie, so it was merely lining the pockets of the companies that mass-produce cheap polyester tourist keepsakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads