HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I can wear this tie once a year.
    [​IMG]

2. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

+1

Awesome!

3. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

[​IMG]

Laundry problem. No dry socks this morning except those. Horizontal stripes are awful, but at least I liked the colors, they don't clash. I hope I don't deserve hell [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Lufty - hmm, leaving aesthetics aside (I think the colours work just fine), I'm not quite sure what to think about that. I appreciate the undoubtedly well-meaning remembrance sentiment behind the tie choice, but I must admit to me it feels a little... icky. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing, say, a tie with a red double-decker bus or a tube train on 7/7 in London. Would almost be like a rubbing-in-face sort of feeling. However, I fullyu accept that I can't fairly comment on your choice as I think only someone who actually lives in the USA can make a judgement about the propriety of wearing it and the reaction of others.

Anyway, from one potentially controversial fit to another, albeit for very different reasons. I usually get a fair bit of stick for this hot pink tie:

[​IMG]

5. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Chris, the bottom is :happy:, the top is :crazy:
    Why do you have this love for weird ties?

6. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I think that's just a cultural difference between the UK and the USA. I have much the same feelings as you, which is no comment on how anyone 'should' feel at all. And that's all you can say.

Quote: I don't think that is the problem here: it's rather that the top and the bottom halfs just seem to be a little incongruent to me. I don't like the predominantly pink and grey top half with beige trousers, or vice-versa.

7. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

+1, but that tie is awesome!

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Don't know. Maybe still working through the repressed rage of having to wear the same tie every day for years back at school? On the other hand, my house colours were a pretty unusual combination (green on black) so maybe it was more that I got inoculated to wearing ugly ties at an early age, something which has permanently destroyed my ability to pick attractive ties? [​IMG]
    In hindsight, I'm now given to understand that those green & black colours are the same as Rowling later used for Slytherin. So I guess you could say I just have an evil streak and wear them to torment you all. [​IMG]

9. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

As much as I believe that the tribute is authentic and heartfelt, I would have hesitation to do what Lufty has done myself, especially since my place of business is a few mere blocks from Ground Zero (now a very active construction site), and because I was an eyewitness to 09/11 (I did not wait for the towers to collapse, and was too far away to see people jumping to their deaths, something for which I am quite grateful).

As for the buildings themselves, I have less than no sentimental attachment - they were poorly constructed and quite ugly, and the stairwell lighting was not corrected from the first attack on the complex in 1993, a fact that made me quite angry after the second attack. (As the buildings were built and owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, they did not have to conform to NYC building code.)

10. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Fair enough.

Many folks wear "never forget" t-shirts today — this is as close to that as I can get.

I'm not a fan of "never forget", but rather "always remember."

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Eleven years ago, I expressed my solidarity by flying around the world to NYC, staying in Manhattan, eating and drinking and shopping, and basically refusing to allow hate-peddlars to stop the world from turning. Just a couple of days, within a week of this date.

But today, I reserve the right to object to that tie. Not because of any implied mawkishness or jingoism: just because it's really ****ing ugly, and this is, after all, the "Style Forum". The occasion might be different, but I'd rate a Christmas tree sweater much the same. :)

12. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

No argument.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wonder how many fat pockets 9/11 memorial novelties created.

14. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

That's a good question. This is a pre-2001 tie, so it was merely lining the pockets of the companies that mass-produce cheap polyester tourist keepsakes.

15. js4design

js4design Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.