HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barims

barims Senior member

Thank you. Good observation on the pitch; I have minimal bespoke experience, so was not able to articulate my observation clearly. Can that sort of thing be fixed?

2. Outlet_cherry_picker

Outlet_cherry_picker Well-Known Member

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

4. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

i noticed no one commented so i'll offer some humble feedback:

1. Black suits should be reserved for funerals or formal evening wear. Funerals only really; as a tux would look better for formal evening wear
    2. The fancy socks should be kept for extremely casual wear ... jeans/chukkas etc. if you are wearing a suit and want to wear fun socks, where something with extremely muted colors yet patterns. will still be fun, but not garishly out of place like these are now.
    3. The shoes gotta go man, especially the black ones. Sorry - i was trying to find the best way to say it but that's the best i can come up with. Conservatively i'd recommend a black captoe, but you look like you like to peacock a bit, so i'd say get a wingtip with a medallion or even a whole cut with a medallion. Some may frown upon it here, but a nice pair of wingtips or wholecuts would be infinitely better than the shoes you showed. I could see keeping the brown one for faded jeans and a blazer for extremely casual club wear. Many brands are discussed here across the pricing spectrum.
    4. The fit of your suits seem off. Hard to tell with the poses, but focus first on fit (lots of good threads here to learn from) and then put in the color combination and accessories and you tighten things up.

I do not believe in dressing only in blue/gray suits, blue shirts and brown ties. I think you can let your individuality show with your outfits, but you have to want to learn the basics and invest in very well made pieces to get better. All the information you want is here.

With your screen name i foresee no financial hurdles to achieving the above goals.

I own a similar shirt - don't wear it often ... usually casually, but definitely don't regret buying it. I think you can wear it often in casual settings ... and also with say a cotton or linen suit during the summers with a knit tie.

Pale blue
    Light pink
    Ivory or light cream

Nice fabric onua ...

The three biggest issues I see are:
    1. Sleeve pitch
    2. Shoulder shape

The above two kinda go together. I believe a sleeve can be rotated to get the pitch a little better. If the shoulder were to be extended a smidgen outward, i think it would hang better. The combination of the slightly smaller shoulder and sleeve pitch are causing the divot at the top and the ripples down your arm. However i'll defer to jeffreyD or despos and guys like patrickBooth who definitely have a way better appreciation of the intricacies of tailoring.

3. Waist suppression:
    There appears to be excessive waist suppression which is making the lower part look larger/hippy. Less waist suppression would probably balance things out a lot better.

Pants could be cleaned up a bit, but i see you already mentioned that. Hopefully the 100% looks smashing!!

5. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

This one is pale blue, and it also looks kinda off with light pink. Maybe it's just the tie itself. In retrospect, I think I like its colour, but its shiny texture throws things off. I'll try it with a cream shirt, thanks :)

6. barims

barims Senior member

Onua and Doctor - thank you both very much. I should never go for a fitting with a headache; it stops me from noticing things more clearly

I will definitely look into the hip area, but at this stage, could the shoulders truly be adjusted further? I can certainly bring up the sleeve pitch issue now that you've helped me articulate it in my head. GB tend to be a 3 fittings operation, else I'd have written to you all earlier in the process

ETA: I forgot to mention that the sleeves are pinned at the back to be tapered, which would most likely throw off everyone's assessments. I can't remember if the pitch was funky beforehand

I sourced the fabric myself; that colour seems difficult to come by in a number of books, for some reason

7. Benesyed

Benesyed Senior member

I need some advice on this for wearing on the wards.

My concerns are:
    1) Is the tie too skinny?
    2) Should i have the sleeves slightly more fitted

Any other helpful advice?

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

8. grahamalama

grahamalama Member

I was pretty drunk when I took that picture, so that might have something to do with it . . .

9. Stilig

Stilig Well-Known Member

Today's outfit

[​IMG]

Jacket - Oscar Jacobson

Shirt - Savini

Tie - AD56

Pochette - Morris Heritage

Trousers - Morris

Shoes - Pari MTO

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I believe that's a Borelli six- or seven-fold I got at Shop the Finest. I posted it in the soporific tie thread last summer.

11. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

I hate double monks paired with those infamous high water trousers.

12. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Mr. Ex Eye Vee:

It appears that the style in Sweden is such that very tapered and shorter inseam trousers are preferred. That is all.

13. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Shoulder needs a bit of left out, everything seems good.

14. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior member

As fit is concerned, it seems that there are sleeve pitch problems (more severe on the left sleeve), but perhaps it is the way that your arms are hanging in this particular moment.
    As my personal preferences are concerned, I would extend the shoulders, lower the gorge, built up the chest (trying to compensate for the skirt), let the waist out a bit and taper the trousers from the knee about an inch.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Barims - are you going for a 70's vibe with this? Because the pants look like something off a disco floor. They're too baggy all around. People have already pointed out the sleeve pitch problems but I'd go so far as to say there is too much roping in the shoulders as well. That could be an after effect of the pitch problems though. Just looks off to me, especially in the close up shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.