1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i must admit, i agree 100% with all of this. my only defense is that i was going out for drinks with some fellas. ANd the pocket square is fucking awesome. C3PO and R2D2. :slayer:

and yes. i concur with the wording as well. But blame rambo for that one. that perv.:nodding:

1 person likes this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

as the below proves, you are also not the only one succeeding. :)

it dont bother me.

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I haven't posted here in a long time, since I was trying to lurk and improve after some early misses, combined with not having much time for photos lately. I've drawn tons of inspiration from many of you (and I think my fits have improved as a result), but today's fit so inexorably channeled Stitchy, that I couldn't help but post it here. It's also a bold foray into the Feat of the Four Patterns. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'll admit, the actual fit is hard to see here, and is distorted by me holding the camera (hence the shoulders and the tug at the midsection).
    Not that approval from a noob gets you much, but I dig this. I have a vintage Huntsman that I swapped the buttons out for some real pearl ones stripped off a vintage PRL. Here are a couple of crappy Blackberry-in-a-hotel-mirror pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

New suit, new kicks, same crappy office lighting. Cheers!

[​IMG]

(This is a MTM suit. I tend to like a more fitted and slightly shorter jacket profile, but for the next round I'm going to add some length and let out the waist a little)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    5 people like this.
  5. Ergudmun

Ergudmun Active Member

The fit is really good in my opinion, little longer jacket would make it as good as possible
    I would have the trousers shortened a tad, so you could show some sock. :D but then i do like to show my socks at all times...

6. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  8. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Wonder where the ties are from.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] I came home bone tired. Just wasn't feeling up to fiddling with the tripod.

But it is indeed chocolate piccola. It does indeed look orangish, though not to quite that extent in real life.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

Made in Italy Thursday.

Loro Piana 100% cashmere DB coat
    Isaia Corallorosso purple pinstripe flannel suit
    Finamore pink pencil stripe shirt
    Marinella green neat tie
    Acqua di Parma
    Unseen, DC Lewis black dub monks
    Bags under eyes from prepping 150 auctions for launch

6 people like this.
  11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

The eye bags are Made In America, dammit!

12. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Espú... I was going to write you a new DM but I think I'll ask here. How is the fit of Finamore shirts? Cause, example, a 16 inch neck has shoulder measurement of 17" or something like that.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thread? Not sure I wanna.

For the record, I don't have an inherent objection to "cargo" pants with a jacket if the pants are on the tailored end of the spectrum. Crumply cargo chinos, however, shall not pass.

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kappelan had a look with cargo pants a few months back that I really dug.

1 person likes this.
  15. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Only pros coordinate the colour of the writing on their sombrero to their tie. [​IMG]

If you had worn socks, this would probably have been one of my fave outfits of yours. I really like it otherwise, esp. the tie choice.

Having said that, I suppose the fact that I'd get frostbite if I went outside without sock in our current weather, might just be colouring my judgement...

Really love the shirt/tie/jacket combination here. Great colours together. You are fond of throwing in a totally random square; I've decided to consider this trait quaintly charming. ;)

This looks MUCH better this time round. Well done. Trousers & jacket appear much more in proportion with each other, and there's a nicer set of colour contrasts than I remember from last time.

tbh, I think you got a lot of stick for that fit that you probably wouldn't have attracted if you weren't Moo. I do agree with the critiques on the trouser opening/taper (not quite sure there's an easy remedy, though) and the large degree of negative tie space, but overall, I actually like the colours in the outfit and the overall impression I got was of a respectably-dressed guy.

Love the top half. I appreciate that skinny cargos are the menswear flavour of the month at the moment, so if you enjoy them, have fun with them. Having said that, they look much better within this outfit than on the other one you posted. Pairing them with a funky take on a blazer/schoolboy outfit almost makes some sense. Pairing them with a striped suity jacket really doesn't.
    The thing with non-formal dress codes is this: they're almost always instituted out of a desire to break down the barriers/intimidation created by more formal dress (either between employees, or between employees & clients). What this fails to realise is that there will be equal (often greater) differentiation in quality of dress/style with a casual code. Therefore, if someone is intimidated by a well-dressed man, they'll be just as likely to be just as intimidated by a really sharp casual fit as a really sharp formal one.

Now, the exact composition of who is doing the intimidating might be different between the two codes, but you can absolutely guarantee that someone will be better dressed than someone else, and therefore create a dress-based unconscious barrier. It's also arguable that this differentiation is actually less with suits than casual dress. What they really want with a casual dress code isn't casual dress but equally casual dress, but they don't usually have the intellectual honesty to say that unless it's something like a place with an actual uniform.

The moustache makes you look like a 70s cop. Awesome. Or awesomely camp. Not quite sure yet. But it's cool anyway.

Experimenting wildly today. Rest assured, I have my asbestos underwear on, so feel free to flame away. As you all know by now, every once in a while, I like to throw something weird together, on the off chance I do like some elements from it that I can then use in a more sensible outfit at a later date. My initial feelings are that I like the jacket/waistcoat/jeans/shoe combination, but not with that shirt/tie. However, I actually like the shirt/tie combo in isolation. So on some future cold day, I might try the core outfit again but with a blue oxford shirt and a dark wool or cashmere tie. And use the shirt/tie combo in a more summery look later in the year.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

please go with spoos recommendation and make it a green tie. essentially turning the whole thing into a throat artichoke.

1 person likes this.
  17. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i love this!

awesome moustache.

i believe the shoes are as well, no?

thanks, HF, much appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  18. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

19. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Trust me I get it. You want to have fun with your suit, but I think you can approached this from a fun perspective without the #menswear approach. It's already noted by several that the cargo pants look out of place and are way too skinny so I won't beat that horse to death, but some chinos or casual pants (shit even jeans) would work. Keep the non-chalance/sprezz if you want because it isn't ratcheted to 400 degrees with zany bracelets which allows it to work in this context.
    Don't allow the sprezz to wear u. U WEAR THE SPREZZ

2 people like this.
  20. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

what exactly is going on in here? :paranoia::puzzled::plain:

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.