1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

2. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

wow, nice-- and with the panerai, no less! how's that new kiton jacket coming along, btw?

[quote content/type/61/id/685789/[/IMG]
    [​IMG][/quote]

3. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Still in a grey mode, but more modern in style. The tie is new, at least.

Suit - BB GF
    Shirt - Tyrwhitt
    Tie - Zegna
    Cufflinks - Liberty of London
    PS - Robert Talbott
    Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand
    Overcoat - BB
    Hat - Selentino
    Scarf - Burberry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

It's nice to have a job where I can wear what the heck I want :D. I find myself favouring odd jackets these days. Took a flyer on the PS - not sure if it worked but I wanted something different today.....

Also noticed I need to get rid of the belt loops on these trousers. I rarely wear a belt anymore, braces are so much more comfortable.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

SC: Bookster, Gladstone tweed
    shirt: CT
    tie: Vanda fine clothing
    ps: Malford of London
    trousers: austin reed
    shoes: EG

7 people like this.
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

That really is pleasant. I agree about the belt loops (a pet hate of mine, loops with braces), and maybe go for a warmer tone with the PS? That PS is cool, but maybe I would have gone burgundy-ish or something? Almost doesn't matter what colour, just perhaps something a bit more...rural in tone. It's a small thing though. Great shoes by the way, and I love the tie too.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This is quite nice. I suppose my only criticisms would be:

1. The belt loops + bracers, but this has already been mentioned
    2. The pocket square is not my favorite. Perhaps a dark navy may have worked better? Or just plain cream.
    3. The tie pattern is a bit formal for that SC

7. FillW

FillW Senior member

Yeah, I think the outfit looks pretty sharp.
    I think he just gave you his thoughts on what might look better with it. Pretty civil actually.
    Looks good, Holdfast - I like to keep my hair shorter too. Easier to comb and dries faster.

PS: Where's SpooPoker? We need to see what he's wearing right now! [​IMG]

8. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

It is nice on pictures, but this is too trendy for me, it clashed with the 'classic 3 piece' image.
    Often it is not the precise details of the outfit, but the overall image that it gives. The style of the suit sits right in the middle between classic and fashion, so it's too dressy for semi causal and too innovative for business. I personally prefer things having its own clear identity.

In summary, the outfit looks excellent, but the suit does not have a soul. It looks awkward.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Quote:

Hope you don't mind me pulling the image link out so I could embed it inline, David. I really dig this outfit, and felt it deserves to also be seen by those too lazy to click your original twitter link. It's also given me a couple of new ideas for outfits using the new mustardy-yellow cords I got recently. Yours are little more towards a burnt-orangey, I think? Very cool.

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

first of all, thank you all for your replies, i think it made for a good conversation about critiquing, and the goals thereof. i feel i should reply to all of you, but it would take up too much of the thread, and i think you all made valid points.

to reiterate, because apparently i was not clear to all, i had no issue with HFs critique of my fit, or anyone elses. i do not mind advice, i welcome it. i was merely pointing out a small peeve i occasionally find with the tone of the thread, not towards me in specific, but in general. if the conversation makes even one person opt for a more gentlemanly tone, it was worth it.

this was a particularly good point imo, and it is exactly what i think when i am suggested trying an item that i do not have. it goes on the want list.

@Anden - thanks!

thanks! kiton should be ready by weeks end from the tailor. :slayer:

11. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

Do people really not like the braces with belt loops that much? I only ask because I have a pair of trousers I'm thinking about getting buttons added to to accomodate braces, but I still want to keep the belt loops so I can wear it without a jacket but with a belt - the mode of wearing which is more common to me really.

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

It makes it look like you forgot your belt IMO. Definitely not ideal.

13. Anden

Anden Senior member

Overall a great look.
    I love the jacket, tie and the shoes.
    The PS is not for this ensemble IMO. Better to leave home with an empty chest pocket...
    The tie knot is not the most beautiful if I may be really picky.

All the best

Andreas

14. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Upon further reflection, I fear the pocket square takes this over the top into matchy-matchy territory.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i agree, but i still dont hate it. :)

pingson - i think the colors/textures in your fit were excellent.

16. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I don't think the PS is as much of an issue as the tie. I'm not a fan of it. I'm not feeling those trousers with this either. Seems to be a pretty sharp contrast with that shirt. This is a rare one from you that I am not a fan of, but the jacket is a winner in my book!

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

I hate to say it because it seems too obvious: I think you need to lose the tie. Not because it's bold in itself - I mean, it is, but I'm all for expressing yourself. It's just that the jacket has that strong windowpane, then the screaming loud diagonals of the tie...it's just a bit too much geometry for my liking. I'd say keep that PS, take the tie down a notch to a small pattern or formal-ish solid texture, and let that beautiful jacket sing. The tie can live another day with a non-patterned jacket, maybe a blazer? It's a tough tie to wear without looking too school uniform or flight attendant, but it's worth another go.

The jacket looks a touch on the slender side. I know these pics can be a bit deceiving, but given how wide the gap is between the skirts as well as the creasing to the button, it does look like that might be the case.

Your trousers look perfect, and I love your shoes too.

(Edit: simultaneous post with Caustic - great minds...!)

(Second edit: now that CM has mentioned the shirt - changing the shirt for a SF-standard blue could transform that, possibly even with the crazy tie, although I still think it's too much next to the windowpane)

18. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yes they are mine but Cordings may do something similar OTR.

19. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Caustic, I'm not sure I understand the issue you have with the trousers. I've never heard contrast between shirt and trousers mentioned as relevant to anything, let alone as a problem. Can you elaborate?

20. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for doing so I couldn't quite figure out how to do it on the iphone. They are a bit burnt orange but they have a lot of yellow in there. Bright cords, moleskins and cavalry twills are great for building outfits, you don't see it much in New York.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.