1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Okay, so a few of you are going to hate this suit. The fabric is a seriously FU heavy tweed (from Dashing tweeds). The cut is unapologetically British, with firm shoulders and a nipped waist. And it's a three-piece, with high-waisted trousers. I wish I could get a better picture because it's worth it, but I'm rarely at home when there's enough light to take a picture outside, plus there's a foot of snow on the ground right now anyway... so for now, you just get this. I love it and it's perfect for this weather.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

You've already had plenty of feedback on the suit/etc which I have to largely agree with, but no-one's yet mentioned that fantastic overcoat. Is it vintage? I seem to recall something not entirely dissimilar on eBay a while ago?

First of a couple of new jackets I picked up from Ede last week:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

x post. on the casual side today.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apologies for fuzzy photos.

Suit: Polo
    (light blue) Shirt: Clarke and Daw
    (chocalate brown) Tie: Canali
    The Not-So-Easy-Anthem Book: Oxford University Press

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
    11 people like this.
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

Whoah! Hate it? I think it's brilliant. Firstly, if you're making a suit that's so bold, then heavy, traditional cut, three piece and high trousers are totally the way IMHO. Although winter never really happens here, maybe I should show a pic of the one I had made a couple of months ago. But yours is crazier. The only thing I wouldn't do is the bow tie, especially in that colour. I get that it picks out a colour in the tweed, but the pattern is already making such a big statement, that a lime bow tie is at risk of pushing it into the realm of costume. I think a straight tie and a more serious colour and tone would work better. That suit is making a big enough statement so I think it needs a role-reversal: let the accessories stay firmly in the background while the suit sings!

Fierce jacket - I like. Understated tie and PS kind of reinforce what I just said. Looking good.

Seriously good taste - that's a lovely suit; PS is beautiful.

6. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i love the suit and the fabric.....HATE the bowtie though. and i love bowties. Puts me in mind of Col Sanders. IMHO the suit with the bowtie is just overkill. A nice dark green tie would really look great here. Or a normal sized bowtie. Proportions are very important.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

For such an SW&D look, I would ditch the hanky and lapel pin, and also consider replacing the jeans with something hipper. But very good overall!
    Terrible suit. If it is indeed bespoke, I would advise you to look elsewhere for your next commission.
    Not really a fan of the outfit as a whole (especially the fugly pants), but that sport coat is right up my alley. For once, a buttoning point that sits exactly where it should!

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Personally, I love the suit. The bowtie is wide, but IMO that's no bad thing at all when you have such crazy suit, especially as it looks as if the bows will go floopy and limp as the day wears on. A ribbon (ie something totally unstructured) used as tie would be even more anachronistically enjoyable. I keep meaning to buy some cloth to use for that purpose.

I used to have a shirt like that (brown with grey/cream stripes?) and had the devil of a time co-ordinating it with anything, despite it looking pretty in and of itself. It's not formal, not truly casual, not daytime, not really night-time, not businessy, not totally relaxed. Ended up getting shot of it. Mine had a regular collar though; if yours is a button-down I suppose that helps matching a bit. FWIW, your combination is better than anything I ever came up with for mine.

It's nice. A bit monochrome for me, but then again, you all know what I like, so... Still, even so, I find myself wishing for at least some kind of pattern in the tie. Nice, though.

1 person likes this.
  9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Haha! Get off the fence and say what you mean, why don't you? [​IMG]

10. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

That is a seriously FU suit, but it seems to work for you. My only criticism is that you've tied the bow tie too wide for your face - were the bow tie smaller, it would greatly reduce the resemblance to something that Colonel Sanders would wear. Otherwise, congrats on having the big brass ones to pull it off!

11. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Thanks guys, the bow tie has already been retied smaller following viewing of the pictures!

1 person likes this.
  12. FillW

FillW Senior member

The bow tie is kinda drooping on each side which makes it look funny.

13. in stitches

thanks, HF. yes, i too am was very surprised at how difficult this shirt had proved to co-ordinate. i still really like it, but wish it was more versatile. also, the collar is not button-down on mine either.

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

15. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I'm not sure I like so many "different but not too different" shades of brown, in stitches. The pants + shoes combo would specially benefit from a larger tonal separation IMO. Hard to judge from that pic, though.

16. in stitches

yeah, it doesnt seem to work with SC, edmorel even warned me of that right when i got it. sweater is ok, or in this case, a quilted coat. but outside of that, casual with casual pants i think is a good way to go.

here you go. :)

also, the pants are quit a bit lighter than the shirt. lighting did not show that. :(

[​IMG]

17. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

^ Yup, I'd definately pair a darker suede with those pents [​IMG]

18. in stitches

even that pic is not great, the sun on the pants makes them seem lighter, they are more of a brownish olive. but anyways, yes, they are fairly close in color.

anywho, there are my only suede dress shoes. you wanna fund me a nice pair of chocolate suede carminas? id like double monks, simpson last please.

thanks!

19. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.