1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnboy

Johnboy Senior member

The lighting on your pics is better here. It would be better if you stood up instead of half sat on the table, because then I would be able to see the length of your SC better.
    Really good outfit though, 3 patterns and 4 textures all nicely assimilated. Fit is perfect. I hope the colour of your SC is as in the second pic.

Nitpick: Your asymmetric knot is cool and don't change it for anything, maybe it has just loosened itself a little since you did it as well, but if you tightened / cinched it slightly and / or moved the entire knot slightly to "your" left in the collar V it would look / be that much more awesome.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

I use a HW regularly, among others. I'd say that yours is just a little pushed to one side, and really looks fine.

But if you do think it's too thick, and still want that triangular knot, there is another option: try a Pratt/Shelby - it's extremely quick and easy once you've tried it a couple of times, makes a really neat triangle, but is smaller than a windsor/HW. I also find this useful if the tie is a bit short - I'm average height, but have a large collar size, so get this a lot especially with cheaper ties.

I do weaken for an SF-friendly FIH or DFIH sometimes, depending on the tie (normally less formal e.g. knitted). Personally I like a neat triangle with a formal suit or just a stronger, more grown-up look. I find that whole asymmetric thing a bit trendy and precious sometimes - to my mind it's only right with a slim or knitted tie and a softer look overall. Either way, each to his own, but don't be shy about that HW - it has its place!

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Same attempt, but with a FIH.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Caustic Man

I haven't used a pratt in a long time and I don't know if I can even remember how to do one. But I will look it up and give it a try.

5. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

There is no way in the world the buttoning point should be 5cm lower - that would put it just above his belt. And that would suck.

Buttoning point is perfectly fine and, if anything, is on the low side of tasteful.

3 people like this.
  6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Definitely looks better. At this point, I reserve a lot of thicker ties for spread collars. Details on the tie? I feel like I've seen it before, but I can't place it.

7. Caustic Man

If it is any indication, I have kept the tie in a FIH after taking that picture.

The tie is from TTB. Pretty good deals to be had if you can sift through the chaff to find the better patterns.

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page...es.asp&pg=1&categoryIds=31,61&optionValueIds=

8. williamson

williamson Senior member

Not sure about this one!
    The sweater is great and the jacket's material is wonderful, but I think that a proper hat like the one you are wearing goes better with a full-length coat, while a short outerwear jacket might look better with a cap (aesthetic proportions).

9. Spode

Spode Member

I agree with the above. It looks nice, but the hat seems quite out of place.

10. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Thanks. I was having a hard time finding decent braces with braid ends rather than leather tabs, though £55 for a pair of elastic braces seems a bit excessive... [​IMG]

11. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Nice fit, Benjamin. You should post more. +1 to the sock comments though... :)

12. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Props to you for rising to the challenge, and putting your jpegs where your mouth is.

My only comments are that a solid colored shirt would be a more harmonious match for your tie - the pattern of your shirt is fighting a bit with your tie as shown. As for no socks with cap toe balmorals, that is a ridiculous affectation, but you do live in LA, the land of ridiculous affectations - it would be impossible not to be infected.

13. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Seasonal temperatures and no wetness from above for NYC today. Being in a controversial mode, I am practicing the dreaded sin of "loafers with a suit". Colors are most accurate on the close-up of suit, shirt and tie.

Suit, shirt, shoes - BB
    Tie - Turnbull & Asser
    Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
    Topcoat - JAB
    Hat - Selentino
    Scarf - Johnston's of Elgin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Had to quote this again, best outfit of the last few dozen pages/since PSG! Love everything here. Also, the fit may be (kinda) judged by the fact that he's sitting, holding up a camera and still no collar gap.

15. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

[​IMG]

its too early toosday.

Corneliani
    Finamore
    Hermes.

2 people like this.
  16. mimo

mimo Senior member

Presumably why you got dressed in the dark?

Nice jacket though. :)

17. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

come on. a one line jab is useless without some feedback. unless youre just trying to be an asshole. which is fine too. :) but id appreciate some thoughts.

18. mimo

mimo Senior member

Ah, I'm just messing. I think that bold stripe and cold tone on the shirt is too "city" for the jacket - solid twill or something might be nicer, I don't like that the PS and tie match so much, and I just plain don't like the tie either in colour or pattern, as a matter of my personal taste. Apart from that, I'm just being a dick because I'm bored. But I really do like that jacket, and you're a good sport. [​IMG]

19. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

I agree on all points. I guess i HOPED it worked better than i thought. I havent worn the tie in ages....and ive fallen into a habit of pairing the same shit together...so i try to force things to work that obviously dont. And i think im a good sport because im easily as much of a dickhead as you. :lol::lol:

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.