1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Distinguished Member

Whittaker told me that he recommended fused collars because modern laundries are terrible with unfused collars, which is true.

My collars from him are unfused, though.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

ill check when i get home, but 99% not italy.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Stitches, the Italian ones are still fused, but it is lightweight fusing. If you arre not sure you can do the pinch-test like people do for canvassing in a jacket. You will feel a layer wiggling around between the shirt fabric.

4. patrickBOOTH

That is what Frank (Ercole) said as well. I had to pull his leg a bit, but when I told him that I wash and press my own shirts it was a different story.

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

100%. My fused collars come back from the cleaners far crisper/smoother than my unfused. There used to be concerns about bubbling but I haven't seen a fused collar bubble badly in years so I don't think that is as big of a deal as it used to be. At least not if they are decent shirts.

6. F. Corbera

The Neapolitan RTW makers use a very nice, thin, flexible interlining...so, when that's fused, it still makes for a light feeling collar.

Here is Kabbaz's take on fusing: http://tinyurl.com/7v5k8pu

7. in stitches

thank you. i am wearing the borrelli now, and it very much feels like there is something wiggling in there. either way i am happy with it.

thank you for explaining that. much appreciated.

8. patrickBOOTH

The cleaners that I use for pressing my suits said they hand iron all shirts because the machine ruins the collars by making them shiny and in some of the cheaper ones the glue would actually soften and look all hazy and gunky. Sounds horrible.

9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I've seen sheen with hotel cleaners (and cheaper shirts) before. It is terrible. Knock wood there has been no sheen on any of my shirts, nor has there been the gunky appearance you've seen. I've made an effort to hand launder and iron all of my shirts (time permitting), so I've moved to natural collars recently. I also wear a lot of OCBDs, so they don't need any extra heft/structure to them.

10. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, I really hate washing and ironing my shirts. But as they say, if you want something done right you do it yourself.

11. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Did I mention that I have a shipment of his latest efforts on its way? It was dispatched today.

12. F. Corbera

[​IMG]

:confused:

13. gettoasty

gettoasty Stylish Dinosaur

I would usually but wanted to break in the new bluchers. Regarding grenadine tie, I really wanted to order from Jack&Jay but the length was about 2" too long. I prefer a length of about 57" with at most 58" (Tie Bar standard?) Grenadine is real nice indeed. Also for grenadine, do you also roll them up after use or hang?

Will let him know though he is fairly stubborn to "criticism"
    FWIW the photo was taken at an angle on a slanted driveway. Never noticed the jacket being short, and the button stance is something out of my hands until I pickup some nicer suits. Working with Uniqlo OTR Tasmanian wool ATM. Lower button stance will definitely help with my proportions.
    As far as the rise of the pants, I guess they are medium to high rise. I prefer this as shorter rise trousers are uncomfortable on me. I think I have fairly long legs and a short torso :(

Certainly different, I guess it is not really a problem but more of personal preference

14. in stitches

I just checked. they were actually in my car as, I am on my way to the dry cleaners. they are indeed made in China

15. F. Corbera

No, you didn't.

The feel of his shirts when I put them on are unequalled, as is the shaping of the collar, by any other shirt that I have.

This is one of those situations where it would be good to be English and not know or care that shirts can be sewn together at much higher standards.

You predicted my comparative experience, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.