• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Week in Maine Friday:

Sunspel tennis shirt, navy
Helmut Lang drawstring shorts, off white
Maison Martin Margiella German Army Trainers, blue suede

Will be wearing coat and tie for dinner, though.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Week in Maine Friday:

sounds lovely.

will the coat and tie go right on top of the present ensemble, or will that change as well?

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Week in Maine Friday:

Do you have any Doc Martens? I do. Love em'.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

pls to define fused collar. tnx.

The interlining is glued under heat and pressure to one or both of the interior surfaces of the collar.

All the nice RTW Italians shirts have fused collars.

Traditionally, Jermyn Street and Parisian shirts like Charvet do not.

Good bespoke shirt makers sometimes like fusing. Robert Whittaker and Alexander Kabbaz both like fusing, although not of the mass-produced sort.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I prefer fused collars for my white shirts, as I generally wear them in situations were I want a crisper, cleaner appearance.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Do you have any Doc Martens? I do. Love em'.

Nope.

Way back, when we went to punk and New Wave shows, there were a lot of college kids fronting Docs, but my show shoe of choice was black Church's Shannons, a chunky double-sole PTB, in God's own Bookbinder calf (a.k.a., corrected grain.) Church's marketed corrected grain as their top leather for uppers.

They were polished to a high shine at the beginning of each night, usually, but covered in spilt beer and vomit by the end of the evening. I remember in particular this show at which the Shannons suffered mightily:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I still have those Shannons, although I haven't worn them in a while. I wore Gucci loafers (the old classic round toe bit loafers) to the last concert I attended, which was about three weeks ago. Others and I spilled martinis on it...but no vomit.

Church's still make the Shannon...it's €585 on Church's site. This is not too bad, because I recall they were north of $300 when I got them many moons ago.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nope.
Way back, when we went to punk and New Wave shows, there were a lot of college kids fronting Docs, but my show shoe of choice was black Church's Shannons, a chunky double-sole PTB, in God's own Bookbinder calf (a.k.a., corrected grain.)
They were polished to a high shine at the beginning of each night, usually, but covered in spilt beer and vomit by the end of the evening. I remember in particular this show at which the Shannons suffered mightily:
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
I still have those Shannons, although I haven't worn them in a while. I wore Gucci loafers (the old classic round toe bit loafers) to the last concert I attended, which was about three weeks ago. Others and I spilled martinis on it...but no vomit.

I am a huge Joy Division fan. I think I saw Peter Hook wearing a pair and needed them. I am attending a drag show tonight, I might wear them with a fresco suit.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The stuff inside the collar that makes it stiff is glued to the fabric as opposed to sewn in. Think gemming.

The interlining is glued under heat and pressure to one or both of the interior surfaces of the collar.
All the nice RTW Italians shirts have fused collars.
Traditionally, Jermyn Street and Parisian shirts like Charvet do not.
Good bespoke shirt makers sometimes like fusing. Robert Whittaker and Alexander Kabbaz both like fusing, although not of the mass-produced sort.

thank you gents.

@f corbera - i recently purchased the following dress shirts, some RPLs, some isaias, some barbas, and a brorelli.

they all have a nice spread and shape to them, but the PRL collars are significantly harder and stiffer feeling. they even feel thicker, and have little to no bend to them. all the italian ones feel very pliable. are they all fused, but done in a different way, or is there a chance that the italian collars are made entirely different than the PRLs?

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a concert by 'Lydia Lunch' at which I threw up on the poor girl's shoes while she was performing.

Oh - for the good 'ol days! Things were much simpler then.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Are the PRL made in Italy or in China? If they are made in China they are 100% fused. I would say, judging from what you described, they are fused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads