HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

[​IMG] :confused:

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

@ gshen - lookin sharp man. nice to see you here!

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

5. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

ftfy

I used to live around there

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

I knew it was either 38th or 40th. Whenever I'm sitting at that light I stare at that mural.

7. NORE

NORE Senior member

8. UltraMagnetical

UltraMagnetical Senior member

Ok, I know I dont post much if at all here, but after reading about your fit issues, Ill throw my two cents in. You do NOT have an athletic build. You have an endomorphic build, narrow-ish shoulders wider pelvis bones and while your in good shape now at some point you probably were over weight OR your body is able to gain weight very easily. Athletic builds are broad shoulder with NARROW hip bones. Yes "real" athletes have hips, BUT their hips are big from front to back (look at sprinters) not from left to right (like you). For example I am weight lifter and I have very strong hips and legs (3x bodyweight deadlift, double body weight FULL squat) yet my waist is only 30inches and my hips (wear I wear my jeans measures 32) however my glute measurement is like 39" but its big from front to back not side to side (I hope you understand what Im saying) So for me I usually have to get the seat let out on my trousers or I just but a 34 and bring the waist in to a 32.

Having said all that I do agree your newer stuff fits you better since it deemphasizes your wider hips (in relation to your shoulders). Jackets with light shoulder padding and maybe a SLIGHTLY extended shoulder would probably work best.

9. Willin

Willin Senior member

Fuck Reading All That version:

(Arnold Schwarzenegger voice) I am built like Hercules and you are built like a puny peon.

Oh and by the way, keep doing what your doing... I have nothing really to add other than to express my superior glute size on a style forum.

[​IMG]

10. Renton

Renton Senior member

Nicely done, I always look forward to your posts.

11. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

I dont really have a problem with any of this but pictures, especially since the majority of mine (unfortunetly) are taken from propping my camera usually at waist level, doesn't really reflect reality. I am not a power lifter nor do I wish to be. I am a healthy in person who did lose about 50-60 pounds over 5 years ago. I dont really think I have narrow shoulders either but that is in the eye of the beholder I guess. My body is not able to gain weight easily actually, I gained most of my weight from years of not exercising due to poor life decisions in my early college years (studying and reading, ignoring the basketball and tennis courts). I never claimed to be an athlete and I was rather reserved in my assessment of my body type.

that being said, I don't really like arguing and I am not offended. My new jackets are better because I learned more and took to heart criticism. I have no issues with body shape or appearance and I am proud that I am a regular exerciser and eat healthy despite being in grad school and working at an unpaid internship 4 days a week.

I will say this forum sometimes lapses into a bit of promoting some kind of strange body dysmorphia/criticism of body types that is distressing to me coming from a therapist. There is a well documented increase in male eating/exercise/body image disorders and I hope this is not implicitly promoted by participation in forums such as these. Lets talk about clothes fitting the body, not how the body can be different to fit the clothes.

12. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

What color are those slacks, sheepy? Nice outfit overall.

I believe Citan referred to his build as "athletic" because that's what a tailor would call it based on the 8" difference (give or take) between his chest and waist measurements. I'm sure he didn't mean to offend readers who cherish a narrower definition of the term. You can put away your tape measure now and stand down.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a bemberg jacket on order.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Talking about Bemberg - I realized recently that we spend a lot of time talking about porous and light fabrics for summer but IMO most of the sweatiness (sic) is caused by the lining on a 1/4-lined jacket. How to deal with this hot weather fresco killjoy ? Is silk better than bemberg/cupro for that and can it help reduce sweatability ?

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

silk is good at retaining heat, not sure that you will feel it hotter than cupro but can almost guarantee that it won't feel airier. For me, when I'm hot, I'm hot. I sweat like a pig and if I am wearing a sportcoat in 80+ heat, regardless of how it is lined or what fabric it is, I am going to sweat. I woudl think though that a cotton shirting lining would wear cooler than silk/cupro, I just don't really like shirting linings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.